Michael Moorcock Reprints EVERYTHING!

Lev Daert

Philosophizes with Kellhus
daughter of Dreams, I haven't read much of the Von Bek stories (there are more than one Von Bek and most are incarnations of the Eternal Champion so I don't know which one is which)They are on my TBR pile maybe ill read it next
but I have to ask, why specifically grasping at that particular book?
I though it was the first elric book (or collection of stories) in the right chronological order,
I thought I'd start with his most famous work, and start at the beginning.
That there is the start of the chonology right?

Bierschneeman

Journeyed there and back again
I though it was the first elric book (or collection of stories) in the right chronological order,
I thought I'd start with his most famous work, and start at the beginning.
That there is the start of the chonology right?
no, as far as I know it has little to do with Elric, at least not in the traditional sense.... It has taken me so long to get around to reading that series because it is Soooo different from all his other writings. its not even a Sword and Sorcery Novel, more of a philosophical fantasy (if such a thing exists) focusing on the why, do we fight evil, and is that really evil (sorry Chaos) supposed to be more of the pinnacle of his Later works than his more famous earlier works. (its also fairly new so the revisions may in fact be very small) (also released decades after the Elric Saga was released)

ok, Michael Moorcock sets up the basis of ALL his novels on the basis of the Multiverse, the idea that there are an infinite number of universes and each one has incarnations of the same guy (or is split into two or more guys and gals)or has multiple incarnations living at different time periods, the one thing that they all share is they are a Hero of Law (or Order) and battle Chaos in their own way, sometimes this is in Sword and Sorcery fashion, sometimes its more modern and less cut and dry. but it is often in shades of grey. So if you want to start with Elric, I recommend The Elric Saga, not sure what order the book are in, since this is supposed to be the first time the books are presented in the authors preferred reading order, but I want to say its probably "Elric of Melnibone"
Although I recommend the Elric Saga with my whole being as your first(NOT the Dream theifs daughter or Daughter of Dreams for you UKers) if you want I can tell you of the others.

Lev Daert

no, as far as I know it has little to do with Elric, at least not in the traditional sense.... It has taken me so long to get around to reading that series because it is Soooo different from all his other writings. its not even a Sword and Sorcery Novel, more of a philosophical fantasy (if such a thing exists) focusing on the why, do we fight evil, and is that really evil (sorry Chaos) supposed to be more of the pinnacle of his Later works than his more famous earlier works. (its also fairly new so the revisions may in fact be very small) (also released decades after the Elric Saga was released)

ok, Michael Moorcock sets up the basis of ALL his novels on the basis of the Multiverse, the idea that there are an infinite number of universes and each one has incarnations of the same guy (or is split into two or more guys and gals)or has multiple incarnations living at different time periods, the one thing that they all share is they are a Hero of Law (or Order) and battle Chaos in their own way, sometimes this is in Sword and Sorcery fashion, sometimes its more modern and less cut and dry. but it is often in shades of grey. So if you want to start with Elric, I recommend The Elric Saga, not sure what order the book are in, since this is supposed to be the first time the books are presented in the authors preferred reading order, but I want to say its probably "Elric of Melnibone"
Although I recommend the Elric Saga with my whole being as your first(NOT the Dream theifs daughter or Daughter of Dreams for you UKers) if you want I can tell you of the others.
I looked around and it seems this might be a good starting point; it's got the one you mentioned

I want to go for the brand new uk editions, since they're supposed to be definitive,
and if I find moorcock to my liking I'll probably end up buying alot of his work. Would be handy if alot of it is in same editions.
so what do you think? Go with this?

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member

Bierschneeman

I looked around and it seems this might be a good starting point; it's got the one you mentioned

I want to go for the brand new uk editions, since they're supposed to be definitive,
and if I find moorcock to my liking I'll probably end up buying alot of his work. Would be handy if alot of it is in same editions.
so what do you think? Go with this?
yeah I think that is supposed to be the first book, their website says I can Email them for a Reading Order as designed by the author. but beyond that... I haven't read any of the new versions yet, (this particular book is only 2 months old)
its always been my second favorite in the series as well.

Lev Daert

I hated Thomas Covenant. It's complex, but the entire thing irritated me to no end. The rape scene didn't actually bother me that much.
yes, it was pretty subdued.
I love the series. I've only read the first six though, they were a gift from a woman where I did some internship stuff.

Lev Daert

yeah I think that is supposed to be the first book, their website says I can Email them for a Reading Order as designed by the author. but beyond that... I haven't read any of the new versions yet, (this particular book is only 2 months old)
its always been my second favorite in the series as well.
Thank you Bierschneeman, which one's on first?

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
Totally agree. Only got through the first book and have the other 2 still on the shelf.
Covenant changes quite a bit as a character after the first one. He's unconscious for a good part of the second trilogy, and absent for part of the third trilogy, as well. So if it was just his character that was offputting, you might consider giving it another try. If there were other things you didn't like, I might not have the same advice. Yes, it is still about people from *this* world going somewhere else, and the writing style is, well, grandiose. But I really like reading about the Land (though agree that Donaldson needs some help in the naming department...seriously, Lord Kevin?).

moonspawn

The Land was literally the part I disliked the most. The huge amounts of info dumping was pretty overwhelming as well. Thomas Covenant complained way too much and the premise was kinda stupid. You know..... when I stop and think about it, I hated everything about that book. The one good thing it did was contribute to my increasing vocabulary.

Antoxx

Covenant changes quite a bit as a character after the first one. He's unconscious for a good part of the second trilogy, and absent for part of the third trilogy, as well. So if it was just his character that was offputting, you might consider giving it another try. If there were other things you didn't like, I might not have the same advice. Yes, it is still about people from *this* world going somewhere else, and the writing style is, well, grandiose. But I really like reading about the Land (though agree that Donaldson needs some help in the naming department...seriously, Lord Kevin?).
Agree with moonspawn on this too. It was pretty much everything about the book I didn't like. I was bored when reading it and I'm pretty sure that also happened some 25 years ago as well when I think I tried to read it previously.

Lev Daert

I thought that the normal name implied that like covenant, Kevin was not native to the land or something(I probably am wrong about this). Even if not; the name, because of its banality, in a land filled with strange sounding titles, sticks with me all the more.

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
I thought that the normal name implied that like covenant, Kevin was not native to the land or something(I probably am wrong about this). Even if not; the name, because of its banality, in a land filled with strange sounding titles, sticks with me all the more.
Well. I hadn't thought about that. But having read all 9 of the books that are out so far, I have seen no indication that that might actually be the case. ("Lord Foul the Despiser" was kind of a silly name, too...)

Michael Moorcock, yep he is on my top 10 list. Based on this post, it may be time to re-read Elric, and then, have a look at some of these new prints.

Thanks
Hovannes

Bierschneeman

Michael Moorcock, yep he is on my top 10 list. Based on this post, it may be time to re-read Elric, and then, have a look at some of these new prints.

Thanks
Hovannes
thank yoou.....good to see some more fans.