Midnight Tides - Book 1 (Frozen Blood)

Bethan

Listens to The Unbeliever whine about life
So I've reached the end of Book 1 of Midnight Tides.

I struggled initially; I had book hangover (as always) after House of Chains, and my head was still in Raraku with those characters. It took me awhile to really settle into the new landscape, and I'm still not quite there time wise. Its obviously a long while before the events of the previous books, I understand it's Trull's tale as he begins to tell the Imass at the end of HoC.... but the timescales in this series have always been something i've struggled to come to grips with, the fact that some characters have been around for hundreds of thousands of years. but then, i guess that's a reflection of Erikson's anthropology background? that he seems to like to explore the origins of different people, and how their beliefs and practices get twisted throughout the centuries. For example, I'm seeing reflections of the Barghast beliefs from MoI in the Edur practices.

The scene I remembered has happened! Other scenes are familiar as I'm reading them, but I can't recall details of the book that I've yet to read; I have no idea whats going to happen or where the story will take me. It's like reading a brand new book and getting de ja vu. the matrix is seriously glitching. i'm glad for that though, as i'm not sure i'd have been able to read it otherwise. as always, there are some sections that are tedious but, as i usually do, i'm plodding through those sections.

the other thing thats bugging me is i cant place where this story is happening in relation to previous events. what with the timeline, it could be absolutely anywhere. i could cheat and wiki it, but then i'd be very disappointed with myself if there's a reveal later in the book and i've already found out about it.

i miss Fiddler

Khartun

Journeyed there and back again
Yes, the timeline for MT is a bit tricky. As I recall it is actually a bit before GotM. It took me a bit to get into it because of that and it's almost all new characters but it is really an awesome book.

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member
So, seems like MT didn't get as much discussion as some other books.
It's tricky to read as it clearly happens before GoTM as you said @Khartun. Erikson introduces bunch of new characters, and the only familiar character is Trull Sengar from HoC. One part of MT is his background story on how he ended up chained on that wall in that flooded warren in HoC. In book 1, we clearly learn about the strained familiar relationship he has, and especially with his youngest brother Rhulad.

It's not book 1, but I really loved the prologue. The betrayal from Tiste Edur and the 'killing' of Tiste Andii dragon after the battle with K'Chain Che'malle is what set this whole story in motion. We have the Jughut and him doing a Omtose ritual - some kind of ice magic. The book is called Frozen Blood and I think that stems from a very convoluted conversation between Jaghut and Mael, the elder god of sea, where Mael asks the Jughut to preserve the scene of the battle that just happened, instead of 'cleaning the mess up' - or something along those lines. They kinda bicker for a while but then the scene switches to the the blacksmith and the Chained God, and the CG orders the blacksmith to make him a special kind of sword - Erikson doesn't elaborate more on what kind.

Now, thousands of years later, the tiste edur have forgotten and warped their history.
All of the tension in this book leads to the meeting, which will bring some resolution I'm sure. The conflict is between Letherii and Edur, but Erikson introduces all these ancient powers that stir.
There is that thing which attached itself to Udinaas, who is a mystery man to me because it is implied that he is not a simple Letherii slave.
There's the vision and the guardian of forgotten gods that talked with Brys Beddict.
There are things that stir in Azath house, previously trapped, but now close to get out, which are kept at bay by a dead girl, who isn't dead. She does it by killing people. When a 10 yo dead girl talks about biting people's necks because it's easy to kill them that way and she likes the taste of blood - I just think Erikson really has a real good sense for horror.

We are also introduced to three Beddict brothers. Brys which I had already mentioned, Tehol and Hull. I think all three of them will play major parts in this book. Right now in book 1, Erikson is just kind of setting up the pieces but the most interesting is Tehol. Because I have no idea what he's plotting, plus his interactions with Bugg, those three women that hired him, and a dead assassin woman that just got a functional body by the means of that weird procedure she went through.

Anyway, onward to book 2.

Khartun

Journeyed there and back again
We are also introduced to three Beddict brothers. Brys which I had already mentioned, Tehol and Hull. I think all three of them will play major parts in this book. Right now in book 1, Erikson is just kind of setting up the pieces but the most interesting is Tehol. Because I have no idea what he's plotting, plus his interactions with Bugg, those three women that hired him, and a dead assassin woman that just got a functional body by the means of that weird procedure she went through.
Tehol and Bugg's interactions are terrific.

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member
Tehol and Bugg's interactions are terrific.
When they ran out of herbs so Bugg made the wool tea from the leftover wool he was making Tehol's pants from. And Tehol asks which wool did he use. Bugg says grey not yellow, and Tehol is like oh good that it is grey. We will poison ourselves less with grey wool tea lol
That was the most ludicrous so far.

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
I can't say much, because I'm reading Reaper's Gale, but: you are in for some class-A awesomeness

The thing with Malazan books is that every time I finish one I'm like: "this is my favorite one!" And then the subsequent one tops it. Cool stuff.