Midnight Tides - Book 2 (Prows of the Day)

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member
So I had to check what the meaning of 'prow' is and I can't say I really get what Erikson is hinting at.

Meanings:
1. the forepart of a ship or boat; bow.
2. a similar projecting forepart, as the nose of an airplane.
3. archaic meaning of valiant

The only thread I'm seeing is with Trull Sengar ending up in that flooded warren with all those destroyed ships around him. (Memories of Ice)
If anyone can shine any light on this, or knows a different meaning let me know.

But anyway, back to the story. A lot happens in this book. Azath is dead and all the things that were trapped under it are tying to come out.
Brys Beddict has been made witness to the mess that started it all - the bringing down of the Chained god and the consequent ruin of the those mages that tried to do that, as well as their civilization. The entity that showed him this in the vision has asked for two swords, and so far it looks like Brys will comply. The dialog between Brys and that thing (whatever it is) was really well written. Erikson writes about greed as the propelling force of civilizations that constantly rise because of it and fall at the end. And the process repeats itself throughout history of Malazan universe. It's really beautifully written.
Kettle got herself an uncle with him (although Brys might not be so enthusiastic lol) - I really like her character. She reminds me of something Neil Gaiman would write.

Tehol Beddict and Bugg are plotting away. So far the most bizarre conversation (in this book 2) was between the two of them and the Rat Catchers' Guild. Bugg is obviously not just a simple man servant, because he can see through magic/illusions of Rat Catchers' Guild. The conversation between him and the Jaghut woman in the quarry about the demon that needs to be contained only confirmed that.
It's very hard to understand what exactly is Tehol up to, because Erikson doesn't really give out much.

Hull Beddict. Oh boy, that guy has no idea who he just pledged his loyalty to.
To start from beginning, Rhulad Sengar came back to 'life' with the help of the sword, but he didn't come back whole or alone. Something else came for the ride. I think the Chained god has either inserted part of him self there via the sword or something else that in service of Chained god is talking through Rhulad.
I really really loved this part of the book, and everything to do with Tiste Edur is intriguing. We also learn that the shades they thought off as their ancestors are actually Tiste Andii that have been massacred in the Prologue by Tiste Edur.
Rhulad seems to think he has control over them and at one point says his army is higher in numbers than Letherii army.

Another character I haven't mentioned before is Seren Pedac. She's something like the guide to that old merchant that came to trade with Tiste Edur. She not in the spotlight but she has a crush on Hull, and one time it's mentioned that the shades gather around her. She's a bit of a mystery to me so far.
There's a lot more that happens between Udinaas, Rhulad, Feather Witch and Trull Sengar who seems to be the only one from Tiste Edur that is alert to the danger Rhulad represents for his people.

Anyway, really enjoying MT. It kind of feels like a standalone, but I'm sure it will connect more later.

In any case I feel like Erikson is just cooking up a perfect storm with Tiste Edur and it's gonna go down in last two books.

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
The only thread I'm seeing is with Trull Sengar ending up in that flooded warren with all those destroyed ships around him. (Memories of Ice)
If anyone can shine any light on this, or knows a different meaning let me know.
I can think of a part where 3 ships were born aloft on a giant wave and moved into a certain harbor. Was that in this part? That could (in part) explain the title. Then again, book titles nearly always have multiple double meanings in Erikson's books in my experience. In any case, sorry I cannot be more precise, but I am not sure if the part I mentioned has already happened, and I don't want to spoil anything.

kenubrion

Journeyed there and back again
Prow is the bow, maybe used in place of on certain kinds of sailboats. I've sailed a lot and never used the word. Front and back works for me, left and right. Like using line (rope) or bowline (rope) or bobstay (rope) or shrouds (rope) or timenoguy (rope). Clear as mud.