Morning Star by Pierce Brown

Haven

Became a Faceless Man
Since nobody posted a thread about this, I thought I'd do it here.
Technically this is not fantasy, but neither is this series full blown SF either.

This book continues the breakneck pace that is the trademark of this series. So much happens in the space of a 100 pages that it leaves you in a tizzy, holding on to the metaphorical horse for dear life. However, in between these flashes of events, Brown somehow manages to inject rousing sections of bravery, sacrifice and some much needed gallows humor.

The ending is one part satisfaction and one part ?

On the whole though, a satisfying series, if nothing truly revolutionary.

Series overall score: 8/10
This book: 8.5/10

fbones24

Journeyed there and back again
I'm 10% in. Red Rising is one of my favorite books ever. I thought it was revolutionary actually, even though people will obviously compare it to Hunger Games. I was not as enamored with Golden Son as I felt it departed from the darkness that dominated Red Rising. We'll see how Morning Star develops. So far, the writing feels similar to RR and that is good.

GreyMouser

I got the chills at least a dozen times reading this book. 9.8/ 10

It is amazing to me that Brown has been able to continue the pace the way he has through three books. In my opinion he writes at the level of Anthony Ryan's Bloodsong but was able to keep it up through three books and give us a very satisfying ending.

fbones24

I got the chills at least a dozen times reading this book. 9.8/ 10

It is amazing to me that Brown has been able to continue the pace the way he has through three books. In my opinion he writes at the level of Anthony Ryan's Bloodsong but was able to keep it up through three books and give us a very satisfying ending.
I was just about to come on here and say this exact same thing. I have had chills so many times and am only just starting Part II. Also may have shed a tear or two already. So far Morning Star seems to be a return to Red Rising form with that raw emotion.

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
I think this one was ruined for me because I read spoilers in advance of finishing. Normally that doesn't bother me. But I think this time, it took away some of the excitement. It just wasn't the same roller coaster ride that Golden Son was for me. Still enjoyable, though.

8/10

btkong

Staff member
Just finished this last night.

I rate this one an 8.5/10 overall.

Morning Star (for me) was not as good as the first book which impressed me with all the tactical battles in the arena, the whole coming of age story, the colorful (pun intended) world, the feudal style politics, and the non stop visceral action.

But this book was better than the last book for me which left me disappointed somewhat with how contrived the plot seemed to be,
the constant betrayals the protagonist suffers over and over
, and the rampant use of over-the-top Dues Ex Machina the author uses to solve problems.

Fortunately, I'd say this final book played out in plot and theme a bit like the first book mated with the second book.

Overall, I burned through the book without stopping -- and for me, this counts as a lot. I enjoyed the book and it's a fitting conclusion to a phenomenal series.

Red Rising: 9.5/10
Golden Son: 7.5/10
Morning Star: 8.5/10

As such, I'd probably give the series as a whole a holistic 9/10 now that it's done and finished. One of the great modern science fiction works -- even if it doesn't do anything profound, thought-provoking in terms of story, plot, or ideas, it manages to take many different themes and science fiction literary influences (there are shades of Ender, Dune, Star Wars, Warhammer, etc), roll them up and repackage them as something utterly digestible and addicting. It's one of those works that's not defined by any one thing but rather the sum of all it's parts which make it better than any single part.

Even better, the author manages to make the whole thing action packed from start to finish both in this final book and the other two books. There were some pretty big narrative twists that I really did not see coming at all.

Great reading!

Last edited:

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member
Technically this is not fantasy, but neither is this series full blown SF either.
Feel free to post any speculative fiction book that was published in 2016 in this sub-forum. It doesn't have to be fantasy. Horror, sci-fi, steampunk is ok too.

fbones24

Just finished this last night.

I rate this one an 8.5/10 overall.

Morning Star (for me) was not as good as the first book which impressed me with all the tactical battles in the arena, the whole coming of age story, the colorful (pun intended) world, the feudal style politics, and the non stop visceral action.

But this book was better than the last book for me which left me disappointed somewhat with how contrived the plot seemed to be,
the constant betrayals the protagonist suffers over and over
, and the rampant use of over-the-top Dues Ex Machina the author uses to solve problems.

Fortunately, I'd say this final book played out in plot and theme a bit like the first book mated with the second book.

Overall, I burned through the book without stopping -- and for me, this counts as a lot. I enjoyed the book and it's a fitting conclusion to a phenomenal series.

Red Rising: 9.5/10
Golden Son: 7.5/10
Morning Star: 8.5/10

As such, I'd probably give the series as a whole a holistic 9/10 now that it's done and finished. One of the great modern science fiction works -- even if it doesn't do anything profound, thought-provoking in terms of story, plot, or ideas, it manages to take many different themes and science fiction literary influences (there are shades of Ender, Dune, Star Wars, Warhammer, etc), roll them up and repackage them as something utterly digestible and addicting. It's one of those works that's not defined by any one thing but rather the sum of all it's parts which make it better than any single part.

Even better, the author manages to make the whole thing action packed from start to finish both in this final book and the other two books. There were some pretty big narrative twists that I really did not see coming at all.

Great reading!
I could not have said it better. Agree with your entire assessment of the individual books and the series.

Cyphon

Finished this up today and it is on par with the first 2. I know some people have them rated differently but for me they were all 3 equally satisfying. If I had to put any a step behind I would probably say Golden Son but the ending drew it back into the fold.

There haven't been many books or series that feel as complete and satisfying as this one has. It just had everything I love in a book well balanced throughout its entirety. Emotional pull, twists, interesting characters, intriguing plot, good action, etc. I am so used to having things to nitpick at in order to fill in some space in a review that it is hard for me to put much else here. Just absolutely love this series.

Morning Star - 9.5/10
Red Rising trilogy - 10/10

deuslachesis

Told lies with Locke
I read this trilogy in 4 days total, yes, its one of the best Sci-fantasy next to Dune I have ever read.
I'm also stoked to hear that the Red Rising is in development for a movie directed by Marc Forster. Brown also hinted at a possible TV adaption as well.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

fbones24

@Cyphon summed this up really well. Just finished "Morning Star" and the ending was fantastic. I was very emotional which is really rare for me when reading. I think Morning Star is on the par with Red Rising and perhaps even slightly better. I think Pierce Brown has matured as a writer and developed his characters even more in this story through their relationships to each other. As a follow up to Red Rising, Golden Son was a slight disappointment for me. Still a great book, but Morning Star was an insane, emotional ride. I'll be re-reading this one again in the not to distant future.

I can't foresee where he will go with his next trilogy but I can't wait. I also hope the movie does this series justice.

fbones24

On another note, my 4 year old Son is actually named "Pax." He was clearly born before I read Red Rising but I think that is another reason why this book is so near and dear to me.

fbones24

Yes, Latin for "Peace." [emoji16]

Sent from House Mars.

fbones24

The entire series is filled with Latin names and Roman references.

Sent from House Mars.

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member

fbones24