Morning Star by Pierce Brown

Jon Snow

No Power in the Verse can stop me
Staff member
Both Golden Son and Morning Star didn't reach the heights that were Red Rising to me, however, I thought Morning Star was a much better book than Golden Son. The twist at the end was good but only because of the build up of how stupid I thought Darrow and Co were. I also really doubt the end scene as well, but it fits in with the evil guys losing due to gloating.

A couple of places I couldn't really imagine the scenes that were happening. One was the ice fight and the second was...did Jackal's hand explode when he fired at Darrow i.e. Dredd 3D...I do know that his left hand was staked to the ground. Says he has a stump? Did he lose it in a past book...I forget...

I think an 8 is fair. Maybe a 9 for the series...Red Rising was just amazing.

btkong

Journeyed there and back again
Staff member
Ah, oh yes. I remember reading what you are talking about

When Darrow lets his enemies go on the eve of the end game battle and his enemy, of course 'turns' on him and he gets kidnapped to the surface, yet again. I was listening to it at night and I I actually feel asleep ANGRY.

I could not believe just how stupid Darrow was by letting his enemy go!

Now, it all worked out by the end with a twist that I actually did not see coming because given how the narrative -- and these same situations -- kept occurring in previous books, I assumed was the case here.

It was a glorious twist in the end with the author setting everyone up. But man before the twist, I was angry, so very angry at the character for doing something so bloody, ridiculously, stupid at that point.

rudyjuly2

I thought the third book was very good but I think it was the weakest of the three. I am in the minority in that I think Golden Son was maybe the best book of them all. It was quite a bit different in terms of setting from Red Rising (Hunger Games scenario) and so it's very close between books 1 and 2 for me but I'll put it right up there. The characters and development were great in Golden Son.

Morning Star had a bit too much in terms of space battles and a little less in terms of character development and mystery so I downgraded it in my mind. The final book opens with a fantastic beginning and then the books seems to float around in space at times until it concluded. Anyone else love Victra's character?

Btkong - I wasn't that angry at your spoiler because I simply knew what was going on. I expected it although I'm normally pretty bad at recognizing that stuff. Possibly because I read all 3 books within 2 weeks. I'm still embarrassed over missing some things in the Emperor's Blades. Will be starting that final book very soon!

Anyways, I give this trilogy an easy 9/10. Highly recommended.

fbones24

Morning Star had a bit too much in terms of space battles and a little less in terms of character development and mystery so I downgraded it in my mind. The final book opens with a fantastic beginning and then the books seems to float around in space at times until it concluded. Anyone else love Victra's character?
Odd, but your description of Morning Star is exactly how I would describe Golden Son. I thought the character development was phenomonal in Morning Star and sort of waned in Golden Son. Whatever the case, all three are great books.

Yes, Victra is great. Up to this point, and given the circumstances, she is the most loyal friend Darrow has. She is the Gold that has nothing truly to gain out of being with Darrow but she is with him anyway. Straight loyalty.

EnglishmanInLyon

A farm boy with a sword
Loved this universe, I am so psyched that the author will be delving further into it in his next books. I really enjoyed the way he played with expectations, pulling the rug out from underneath us numerous times. The trilogy overall is fantastic.

10/10

Really enjoyed the entire trilogy, especially this one. I liked how the author delves into the difficulties of ever reaching peace in this type of scenario - the ending is no happily ever after, its just teases hope for the future - which is awesome according to me.
My only gripe with this book was that the last bit of plot twist/betrayal was too obvious. Saw it for what it was while it was happening. Thats actually a recurring theme the entire trilogy - the betrayals are too easy to spot.

Overall Series - 9/10
Morning Star - 9/10

fbones24

Really enjoyed the entire trilogy, especially this one. I liked how the author delves into the difficulties of ever reaching peace in this type of scenario - the ending is no happily ever after, its just teases hope for the future - which is awesome according to me.
My only gripe with this book was that the last bit of plot twist/betrayal was too obvious. Saw it for what it was while it was happening. Thats actually a recurring theme the entire trilogy - the betrayals are too easy to spot.

Overall Series - 9/10
Morning Star - 9/10
I agree that the betrayal in Golden Son could be spotted a mile away. In fact, I think he intended us (the readers) to understand that would happen. It almost gave you this sense of impending doom.

With Morning Star, I did not see that betrayal coming at all. Brown caught me hook, line and sinker.