Most obnoxious/irritating fantasy character

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
Fellow Fantasy Fans!

Let us together stare into the abyss and select the top 5 most irritating/obnoxious/aggravating fantasy characters you've ever come across. Please select characters from well-known, well-loved series, as opposed to characters from obscure series (who no one else but you will even know) or from bad books/series (as they are irritating by default). Please give a short motivation for each character.

I'll start:

1. Draco Malfoy, Harry Potter series (by JK Rowling): self-entitled, whiny, arrogant: this kid has it all. Whenever I read about him in the HP books I just wanted to punch the kid in the face. Way to go Hermione for actually fulfilling this fantasy of mine!
2. Tom Bombadil, LOTR series (by JRR Tolkien): Tolkien has a penchant for the deus ex machina ("the eagles are coming..... again!"), but this guy steals the cake. All-powerful, yet not deemed trustworthy enough to hide the ring. His songs are irritating and he looks like a douche with his colored attire and jaunty hat. This earns him the second place on my list.
3. Professor Umbridge, Harry Potter series (by JK Rowling): she reminds me of one of my old school teachers. Always correct. Prim-looking. Very strict. Bizarre love for cats. This woman has made me throw my copy of the book around whenever I read about her. I threw it at my cat. That should teach them (her and my cat both)!
4. Daenerys Targaryan, ASOIAF series (by GRR Martin): this is a blind queen if ever I saw one. Book-Dany is way better than tv-series Dany, I'll give her that. Still, she is whiny, makes a botch of things, is blind to her own faults, and to top it all off her storyline doesn't move forward at all for books (apart from the last chapters of book 5, but still). On the list you go!
5. Kelhus, the Prince of Nothing series (by S Bakker): I love Kelhus. I hate Kelhus. Love him. Hate him. This character started off really great, but he slowly became like Superman: all powerful, and therefore boring. The books in the Aspect Emperor series slightly redeemed him, but he still ends up on my list.

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
Malta from Liveship Traders.

(I'm sure there will be more. But that's the first one I'm coming up with.)

Boreas

Journeyed there and back again
Staff member
From Books:

1. Tom Bombadil (luckily he's only there for a short while, but it makes a huge, head-hammering impression)
2. Wulfgar, the insufferably stupid and whiny Barbarian with his massive inferiority complex (and all his stupid companions/friends except for Drizzt, the rest of the Drow and the human assassin)
3. Richard Rahl (I'd toss in his Confessor, too, and all those leather clad maidens and that hound-dog of an old wizard)
4. Just about anyone from Wheel of Time, esp. that douchebag Rand al'Thor (except maybe Mat)
5. Daenerys Targaryan (most annoying female character in all of ASoIaF)

From TV/Movie/Cartoons:

1. Jar Jar Binks. How I imagine his demise in various ways.
2. Snarf almost ties with Jar Jar Binks.
3. Connor, Angel's son. One of the whiniest/most bitchy characters ever with a huge chip on his shoulder against his dad.
4. That male/female character Chris Tucker plays in the Fifth Element.
5. Anakin Skywalker. The worst of them all! Almost ruined Darth Vader for me (I never thought something like that would be possible). Luckily, I utilise selective memory and blank it out most times.

ofer

Malta from Liveship Traders.
(I'm sure there will be more. But that's the first one I'm coming up with.)
If we're going for Hobb, I think Regal is outobnoxiousing Malta (did I just invent a new word?)
More:
Ambrose from The Name of the Wind
Lord Rust from several books in Discworld
Kallor from Malazan
Perrin and Faile from Wheel of Time (way more then Rand)

ofer

Perrin was the wolf guy who dreamt, right? Who is Faile again?
Edit - put reply in spoiler in favor of future generations of readers of WOT
His wife. The one he's always running to rescue, unfortunately with success

Last edited:

Boreas

Staff member
His wife. The one he's always running to rescue, unfortunately with success.
Right, I think that vaguely sparks a memory in the hinterland of things best left forgotten. Yep, Perrin was damn annoying.

Shorty

Philosophizes with Kellhus
4. Just about anyone from Wheel of Time, esp. that douchebag Rand al'Thor (except maybe Mat)
That! ^^ First and only book series I quit (on purpose) because the developement of the caracters makes them so unlikeable eventually.

Also Jean de Vrailly from Red Knight / Fell Sword by Miles Cameron. I hate him soo much. He thinks he's a good guy. I know it's caused by the rules in his home country and the way he was raised, that every decission he makes seems rigtheos for him. I think it was through him learned that seld importance is characteristic that I realy despise.

The difference is, that the latter is very well written and built to be a person to hate where the Wheel of Time "cast" is meant to be well liked. So I think it contradicts the purpose of the thread 'cause it violates the...

or from bad books/series (as they are irritating by default)
...part.

(But I guess this would start a Wheel of Time - epic or crap? kind of discussion what is not intended, so I withdraw my arguments regarding WoT.)

Some other caracters which belong in the Jean de Vrailly category for similiar behaviour:

Regal - Farseer Triology, by Robin Hobb
Goffrey (and also Cersei) - GoT, by GRRM

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
Regal

Argh, I forgot that character! This one ends up in place 6 on my list.

And to the guys who are hating on the WoT characters: How about the female characters, in particular Nyneave, Egwene, Aviendha and Min. Ooh, God how much I loathe them. Always going on about how all men are lummoxes, drinking goat milk, talking about pregnancies, for books and books and books on end.

Boreas

Staff member
Regal

Argh, I forgot that character! This one ends up in place 6 on my list.

And to the guys who are hating on the WoT characters: How about the female characters, in particular Nyneave, Egwene, Aviendha and Min. Ooh, God how much I loathe them. Always going on about how all men are lummoxes, drinking goat milk, talking about pregnancies, for books and books and books on end.
I loathe all those female characters from WoT, too. If Egwene only stopped tugging at her braids, the series would be 7 volumes instead of 13 or 14 or whatever it is now.

Shorty

Philosophizes with Kellhus
"I Love Rand, but if he has to sleep with every other friend of mine, that's fine..." - every female protagonist in WoT.

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
Reading the above reactions makes it all come back:

- Perrin, the most docile, self-righteous idiot that ever graced the pages of WoT books, constantly moaning aboutb the loss of his beloved Faile.
- Nynaeve, misandrist beyone believe, tugging her braid at everyone.
- Egwene, just a pubescent girl, but somehow able to outsmart the wisest of Aes Sedai.

The only non-irritating character was Mat (and Rand when he was crazy).

dunebuggy

Knows the real name of Lower Corte
The martian in stranger in a strange land..his smugness and beyond everything,grates on me. Eustace in the voyage of the dawntreader..this a lifelong annoyance with him. Sansa Stark..oh Sansa..what can I say. Any elf that breaks into poetry,in the middle of hauling arse..this goes for any elf. Even the tiny one's in The Lyonesse. In film..Neo in the matrix,that coat alone and douche sunglasses. That Johnny 5 robot with those blinkers and spindly robotic arms..I hate you Johnny.

Boreas

Staff member
Nynaeve, misandrist beyone believe, tugging her braid at everyone.
Right, it was Nynaeve, not Egwene. They all blur into one with time. I just remember the hair tugging, which used to annoy the beejeezus out of me.

Boreas

Staff member
Any elf that breaks into poetry,in the middle of hauling arse..this goes for any elf. In film..Neo in the matrix,that coat alone and douche sunglasses. That Johnny 5 robot with those blinkers and spindly robotic arms...
This.
I hate you Johnny
Lol

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
If Egwene only stopped tugging at her braids, the series would be 7 volumes instead of 13 or 14 or whatever it is now.
That was Nynaeve...

Edit: looks like someone beat me to it.

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
Joffrey wasn't really all that bad. Just bad parenting, is all.
And incest, which may have exaggerated genetic deficiencies. The Targaryens were crazy, too, for the same reason.