Most obnoxious/irritating fantasy character

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
And incest, which may have exaggerated genetic deficiencies. The Targaryens were crazy, too, for the same reason.
Crazy? That's a harsh judgement. In this day and age we would probably say they have autism, ADHD, Conduct Disorder, schizophrenia etc.

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member
4. Daenerys Targaryan, ASOIAF series (by GRR Martin): this is a blind queen if ever I saw one. Book-Dany is way better than tv-series Dany, I'll give her that. Still, she is whiny, makes a botch of things, is blind to her own faults, and to top it all off her storyline doesn't move forward at all for books (apart from the last chapters of book 5, but still). On the list you go!
Check! She's on my list as well although I hate the book Dany more. Such an entitled and stupid woman.

If we're going for Hobb, I think Regal is outobnoxiousing Malta (did I just invent a new word?)
Another check. If I could kick his ass I would. Please let me kick his ass... Regal annoys me like no male character ever did.

Renna frickin' Tanner from Demon Cycle. I can't stand that hick of a woman. I hope Peter V. Brett feeds some demons with her in The Skull Throne.

Alucard

Staff member

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member

wakarimasen

Journeyed there and back again
You know, I find these threads tricky as I can't summon the requisite memory or hatred.
I can agree on Tombombadil. Even as a kid I remember getting past him and thinking WTF was that all about?
I used to love the Dragonlance books back in the day too, but Raistlin and Cameron both got right on my wick for different reasons. Too weasly and too stupid. Why they followed them for an entire trilogy I don't know.
I don't know about hatred but certainly the faerie in Dresden are starting to all blend into one and make me yawn.

Not much else springs to mind. Born cynic - not born critic it would seem.

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
I can agree on Tombombadil. Even as a kid I remember getting past him and thinking WTF was that all about?
I didn't read the first book until after I'd seen the first movie. My thought was "I'm so glad Peter Jackson cut this part out."

kenubrion

Yeah, this is easy but nothing that hasn't already been said by several people: Nyneave, Egwene, and Faile, with Faile edging out the other two for the win.

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
DENNA from The Name of the Wind. Couldn't stand her.

(See, I knew I could come up with more of these.)

Boreas

Staff member
And incest, which may have exaggerated genetic deficiencies. The Targaryens were crazy, too, for the same reason.
Don't think so. He exhibits a lot of the signs of a psychopath.
The Targaryens have been doin' it for generations, so I can understand it there, but it's a pretty isolated incident with the Lannisters, so those deficiencies shouldn't play a significant part. That said, it has to fuck with his mind - of course, he knows the 'rumours' - which makes him even more "bat. shit. crazy." and ready to vent his anger and frustrations. He's not a psychopath, though, and neither a sociopath, even whilst exhibiting some of the common traits of those pathologies. He does feel strong emotion and attachment. Plus, we define characteristics of psychopathy and sociopathy in the context of a society where members must subscribe to certain rules and conventions that allow a minimal disruption in the fabric of said society. He doesn't have to. He's the heir-elect (later, official monarch) of a strictly hierarchical kingdom. He can indulge his every whim with impunity, and he does. It really is negligent (or over-indulgent) parenting. If someone else had been his parent, someone able to temper whatever cruel streak that started to exhibit at whatever age (like Tywinn or Ned), he'd have turned out a a lot more stable than the pathetic, insecure, vainglorious, violently self-indulgent dross he was. He was at a forkroads at the beginning of the series, and he took the path most easily travelled to his own detriment, without any awareness that a better path might even exist. I definitely don't excuse him for his reprehensible treatment of others (he was a prick and half and deserved worse than he got), but he was not wholly responsible for how he turned out, especially at his still malleable age, and he retained a small core of innocence within him, albeit severely twisted by his own circumstances and lack of any significant self-reflection.

Boreas

Staff member
I didn't read the first book until after I'd seen the first movie. My thought was "I'm so glad Peter Jackson cut this part out."
I almost didn't make it through that chapter "On the Barrow Downs" where he makes an appearance. It took me a month! to make it through that and I considered just leaving the book a few times. But I persevered and I'm so glad I did.

Alucard

Staff member
Joffrey spoiler
I remember Martin writing how Joffrey when he was just a little boy maybe 5-6 he gutted a pregnant cat and took out the kittens from her belly. He took them to Robert for a gruesome "show and tell" and Robert slapped him and didn't want anything to do with him after that. I think Jamie was present too, and his sentiments were the same. I remember thinking when I read that, you know who else does that when they are kids...serial killers. I don't think he had any emotional attachments to anybody. The minute Cersei would step on his toes or criticize him, he would have killed her, mother or not. I'm sure of it. I'm not a professional psychologist but to me Joffrey is an epitome of a psychopath. He was beyond molding imo when he killed that mama cat.

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
Why? What did she do? Spoiler - free if possible, I haven't read it. I'm just curious what pisses you off lol
I don't understand why Kvothe is so interested in her. She makes some extraordinarily bad decisions and only shows interest in Kvothe when she is in trouble or between other things. There is not any one incident, it's pretty much every scene she's in.

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
Joffrey spoiler
I remember Martin writing how Joffrey when he was just a little boy maybe 5-6 he gutted a pregnant cat and took out the kittens from her belly. He took them to Robert for a gruesome "show and tell" and Robert slapped him and didn't want anything to do with him after that. I think Jamie was present too, and his sentiments were the same. I remember thinking when I read that, you know who else does that when they are kids...serial killers. I don't think he had any emotional attachments to anybody. The minute Cersei would step on his toes or criticize him, he would have killed her, mother or not. I'm sure of it. I'm not a professional psychologist but to me Joffrey is an epitome of a psychopath. He was beyond molding imo when he killed that mama cat.
In our reality he would probably have been labeled a psycho. However, I do agree with Boreas on this one. You have to look at it from the perspective of an absolute monarch in a feudal (fantasy) society. Joff could do anything he liked and no one ever really put a stop to it. His parents neglected him (apart from Cersei). I think Joff is cruel, self-indulgent, arrogant and so forth, but I don't think he's classify as a psycho in the world of ASOIAF. Besides that, don't forget that Joff was a pubescent boy at the timeline of the ASOIAF books. A pubescent boy with no restraints whatsoever can do some crazy stuff.

Boreas

Staff member
Joffrey spoiler
...and Robert slapped him and didn't want anything to do with him after that...
Exactly. Very bad parenting.
Joffrey spoiler
He was beyond molding imo when he killed that mama cat.
I don't think children are born with a ready made moral compass. They are inculcated and taught by their parents and others around them how to conform to their society's mores. There are children who do very cruel things before they learn better. Of course, sometimes they don't learn to differentiate between right and wrong actions even with proper guidance and that's a real problem (much rarer, though). But it's not always good to quickly judge a child by some early actions and label him/her immediately. The cat example is definitely an extreme case and I can understand the disgust. The fact that Joffrey was in a situation where he was badly brought up (whilst always feeling self-entitled due to his status) certainly didn't help and probably exacerbated some (or all) of the negative tendencies he might have had.
In our reality he would probably have been labeled a psycho.
I think even by our own standards, he doesn't quite fit the psychopath profile. He's much too prone to emotional outbursts and fits of pique to be a psychopath. Definitely more of a sociopath. In any case, he turned out to be a waste of human space, but I could see a tiny glimmer of him turning out better if things had been a little different.

ofer

I don't understand why Kvothe is so interested in her. She makes some extraordinarily bad decisions and only shows interest in Kvothe when she is in trouble or between other things. There is not any one incident, it's pretty much every scene she's in.
While I didn't find Denna all that irritating, you nailed the one thing which I didn't like in The Name of the Wind (which I thought was a great book). At some points, I felt like shouting at Kvothe
Stop pining after her and start dating with one of the hot girls from the university who are all over you, you big idiot!

Alucard

Staff member
I don't think children are born with a ready made moral compass.
Neither do I. But psychopaths are born psychopaths. They have a different brain patterns than normal people. Their amygdala (one part of the brain in charge for processing emotions) for example, is non active when dealing with pain of other people. They have an neuro-anatomical difference to normal people.
http://www.sciencedaily.com/release...ical-basis-for-lack-of-empathy-in-psychopaths

This is quite interesting:
When highly psychopathic participants imagined pain to themselves, they showed a typical neural response within the brain regions involved in empathy for pain, including the anterior insula, the anterior midcingulate cortex, somatosensory cortex, and the right amygdala. The increase in brain activity in these regions was unusually pronounced, suggesting that psychopathic people are sensitive to the thought of pain.

But when participants imagined pain to others, these regions failed to become active in high psychopaths. Moreover, psychopaths showed an increased response in the ventral striatum, an area known to be involved in pleasure, when imagining others in pain.

I know it may not be a politically correct thing to say but for some people there's no nurture which can overcome nature in my opinion. I think Joffrey fits in that category.

Buffy V Slayer

Knows Who John Uskglass Is
Also, Kyle Haven from the Liveship Traders series (Hobb). Super annoying, which made Malta's character annoying because she continued to admire him.