Most obnoxious/irritating fantasy character

Boreas

Journeyed there and back again
Staff member
Also, Kyle Haven from the Liveship Traders series (Hobb). Super annoying, which made Malta's character annoying because she continued to admire him.
I skipped the Liveship Traders and went straight to the Tawny Man. I'm thinking of rereading Farseer and Tawny Man before picking up the newest Fitz trilogy. I know Hobb is an excellent writer, but something about Liveship never attracted me. Is it worth it to pick those up?

kenubrion

I skipped the Liveship Traders and went straight to the Tawny Man. I'm thinking of rereading Farseer and Tawny Man before picking up the newest Fitz trilogy. I know Hobb is an excellent writer, but something about Liveship never attracted me. Is it worth it to pick those up?
I think Liveship is the best series. But I've always had a problem with Fitz' self-loathing and depression, and the entirely new cast of characters in Liveship are all strong, decisive people. He seems to finally be comfortable in his own skin in Fool's Assassin and I hope that continues.

Oh, and if you ever read the Rainwilds series, Liveship is where that story starts.

Buffy V Slayer

Knows Who John Uskglass Is
I actually just reread the Farseer and Liveship Trader Series, and am now working my way through a reread of the Tawny Man trilogy, and am doing it for the same reason!

I will preface my opinion by saying that Hobb is one of my all-time favourite fantasy authors, so I might give any one of her books the benefit of the doubt where I wouldn't with other authors. However, I actually found that I really enjoyed the Liveship Traders the second time around. I remember not liking it quite as much as Farseer the first time, but this time, I think I was able to enjoy the intricacy of the story, without letting the shortcomings of the characters get to me. The thing is, Hobb doesn't create characters who always make the right decisions or who are wholly likeable or unlikeable. Even Fitz irritates me now because of this:

For instance, as a mature reader now, while I still want to strangle Kyle Haven every time he says something in the story, I understand that his character is meant to be an ironic counterpoint to Malta's growth as a character. So while I sometimes find the characters irritating in Liveship Traders, I appreciate their value in terms of character and thematic development.

This turned into a long-winded way to say that, yes, I would highly recommend Liveship Traders, but beware that you will not attach yourself to the characters in the same way you do to Fitz in the Farseer trilogy.

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
Also, Kyle Haven from the Liveship Traders series (Hobb). Super annoying, which made Malta's character annoying because she continued to admire him.
Aah, I forgot him. I always hated his guts.

ofer

Like most here, I'd say yes. I liked Farseer slightly better because I thought the story was more compelling, but my favorite Hobb's character (meaning the one I thought was the most complete, multi-dimension character she wrote) - Captain Kennit - is from Liveship Traders. A character that you start out rooting for, then hating his guts, then rooting for him all over again has got to be written well.

Last edited:

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
Like most here, I'd say yes. I liked Farseer slightly better because I thought the story was more compelling, but my favorite Hobb's character (meaning the one I thought was the most complete, multi-dimension character she wrote) - Captain Kennit - is from Liveship Traders. A character that you start out rooting for, then hating his guts, then rooting for him all over again has got to be written well.
I absolutely love Captain Kennit. He may be one of my all-time favourite characters. I also love the Paragon.

Buffy V Slayer

Knows Who John Uskglass Is
Captain Kennit - is from Liveship Traders. A character that you start out rooting for, then hating his guts, then rooting for him all over again has got to be written well.
I agree. The characters in Liveship are much more ambiguous, and Kennit is probably the best example. His character is so compelling but also very disturbing. The characters of the Farseer trilogy are really well written, and Fitz is such an endearing character, but they are much less ambiguous.

atheling

A Poet of the Khaiem
Is this a case where the site appears to hang, but actually the post went through?

(watch for that when buying airline tickets too: don't want to buy that sucker 6 times!)