music taste development

moonspawn

Journeyed there and back again
In recent months my music tastes have been changing and developing quite quickly. What I listen to now is of much higher quality compared to the pop rock shit I was listening to in High School. I've been listening to a lot of progressive rock, fusion jazz, and even violin based music recently. So anyways I was wondering how people's music tastes have changed over time or if their music tastes have changed much and if not then why not.

sopranosfan

I have always listened to rock, pop, country, rap, and anything else I like. On my station presets I have two current pop stations, two rock stations one focusing on 90s and current and one more 70s-90s and 2 country stations. My favorite is definitely 90s rock like Nirvana, Stone Temple Pilots, Pearl Jam and others because that was what I listened to in high school. But my tastes really haven't evolved much if any.

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
My favorite is definitely 90s rock like Nirvana, Stone Temple Pilots, Pearl Jam and others because that was what I listened to in high school.
I have a soft spot for that, as well. (Just clicked on your username, though, and see that we're the same age, so I suppose there's no surprise there!)

I listen to a lot more punk now. Stuff that's not usually on the radio, that I probably never would have heard on the radio, so I simply wouldn't have been exposed to it during my formative years. Plus, Atlanta radio sucks. So I got a car stereo with a USB port and just plug my iPod into it on my commute (which is only about 9 minutes long, so is ideally suited to the short length of many punk songs).

I haven't bought much music since I moved to Atlanta. So the stuff I'm listening to is kind of old, anyway. Oh well, suits me just fine.

ofer

I'm afraid that I've stopped listening to new music sometime in my late 20's. I guess the reasons being not much free time and a change in priorities in life.

It's sad, really. I was talking with this girl about music, wanted to appear as if I knew what I was talking about, and mentioned the name of a band I overheard a younger co-worker going on about - only to have her say "Oh, yes, them. They broke up 2 years ago".

The only new band I picked up listening to during the last decade were Arctic Monkeys, and even that was by accident, rather then me trying to find out new stuff.

Antoxx

I'm afraid that I've stopped listening to new music sometime in my late 20's. I guess the reasons being not much free time and a change in priorities in life.

It's sad, really. I was talking with this girl about music, wanted to appear as if I knew what I was talking about, and mentioned the name of a band I overheard a younger co-worker going on about - only to have her say "Oh, yes, them. They broke up 2 years ago".

The only new band I picked up listening to during the last decade were Arctic Monkeys, and even that was by accident, rather then me trying to find out new stuff.
That reminds me of a very embarrassing time I was trying to look cool in front of a girl while we were talking about Smashing Pumpkin and I said I can't believe they've been around since 1979 and she looked at me like I was a moron and said, that's the name of one of their songs. Needless to say, we weren't sharing a taxi home later.

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Guess my first musical love was Guns N Roses back in the very early 90's, remember playing Get In The Ring at full volume whenver my folks went out on their stereo (it was a bit sweary) .. this kind of evolved into the grunge scene, listened to a lot by bands like Pearl Jam, Smashing Pumpkins, Stone Temple Pilots etc, before Britpop took over my life from the mid-90s until around the time I went to Uni in '98. Loved bands like Oasis, Longpigs, Cast, Echobelly, Supergrass, Pulp, Mansun, Menswear, Ocean Colour Scene, Dodgy and Suede. Stayed fairly UK mainstream whilst at Uni, where I was lucky enough to see a lot of small up and coming bands at quite small venues, like Coldplay, Doves, Stereophonics and Badly Drawn Boy. Also discovered Elliott Smith at around this time (who is still my favourite musician EVER!), which led me into the whole American singer songwriter scene, artists like Bright Eyes, Patrick Park, Rocky Votolato, Josh Rouse and Ryan Adams. Nowadays still listen to all the above, and try to keep up to speed with the music scene, bought stuff recently by Iron&Wine, Midlake, Deer Tick, Bon Iver, James Vincent McMorrow, The Tallest Man on Earth etc etc etc

So to summarise, I wouldn't say it's 'changed', more 'evolved'.

Last edited:

moonspawn

So to summarise, I wouldn't say it's 'changed', more 'evolved'.
I say changed because much of what I used to listen to I just can't stomach anymore but I would say that my tastes have both changed and evolved. I've been listening to Radiohead and Muse for some time and I don't think I'll get tired of them; both Brit bands of course. I'm not very familiar with Brit pop but I've noticed that a lot of my favorite rock bands are from Britain. Many of those are progressive though which isn't surprising considering that that's where Progressive rock got its start.

Amaryllis

15 years ago, I listened to basically what was on VH1 (MTV didn't show out in the boonies where I lived, so I had to accept VH1's vague approximation of pop culture's music pulse), and was kind of rock-esque. Ended up being stuff like Creed, and you know what? Looking at it now, it's embarrassing for me to even write that. It basically stayed that way for years, trending slightly toward hard rock/alt rock/alt metal like Breaking Benjamin, Thousand Foot Krutch, Switchfoot, etc. I've always been somewhat accepting of basically any genre as long as the song was good, not locking stuff out sight unseen (a Chinese instrumental version of a Japanese pop song? Sure, I'll listen to that), but I never really put any effort into looking things up.

I got wind of metal in the late 2000s. Before that, I basically assumed that all metal was Cannibal Corpse-esque trash and tough-guy posturing, with minimal hint of anything resembling song structure (doesn't really go against what I said earlier; nobody broadcasts metal in the U.S., so there was nothing to change my mind even if I was willing to give it a shot). Originally, it was just power metal, but with all the guest singers and genre crossovers, I branched out in basically all directions. The thing about being a metal fan is that it turns you into a music nut. It may be different elsewhere in the world, but in this country, metal is about six degrees off of mainstream, so if you want to find new music, you had better put nose to the grindstone and go looking for it yourself. This translates pretty easily to other musical styles as well -- since you will already be used to following the road less traveled -- so it becomes, if not easy, then at least familiar, trying really hard to find classical music you haven't heard of, or indie rock, or whatever it is that happens to strike your fancy.

I'm still essentially a metal fan, but I'm trying to listen to as much stuff as I can. Maybe my tastes will change again someday, but I don't see it wandering that far (it's a really BIG genre).

Sir Arthur

I think my taste in music is always evolving, in part because I'm always open to new things. In high school I started off with Metal, like Megadeth, and some older stuff like Iron Maiden ( I still enjoy them). In the mid 90's I got into stuff like Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains ( I saw them in concert a couple of years ago, in Vancouver BC, new singer, but a top 5 all time concert for me). I still listen to most of the music from those days, but I've developed a taste for Classical, and Celtic music, as well as some other stuff that doesn't really fit into a genre. I'm not afraid to admit to a love of Enya, I consider her one of the most talented musicians/ artists of modern times. The best live perfromance I've ever seen was Loreena Mckennit
. Her band is phenomenal. I'm sometimes in the mood for what they call Symphonic rock, good examples are bands like, Leaves' Eyes
( the singer fits my image of a Malazan mage) or Nightwish
This song is fantastic!!

Last edited:

moonspawn

15 years ago, I listened to basically what was on VH1 (MTV didn't show out in the boonies where I lived, so I had to accept VH1's vague approximation of pop culture's music pulse), and was kind of rock-esque. Ended up being stuff like Creed, and you know what? Looking at it now, it's embarrassing for me to even write that. It basically stayed that way for years, trending slightly toward hard rock/alt rock/alt metal like Breaking Benjamin, Thousand Foot Krutch, Switchfoot, etc. I've always been somewhat accepting of basically any genre as long as the song was good, not locking stuff out sight unseen (a Chinese instrumental version of a Japanese pop song? Sure, I'll listen to that), but I never really put any effort into looking things up.

I got wind of metal in the late 2000s. Before that, I basically assumed that all metal was Cannibal Corpse-esque trash and tough-guy posturing, with minimal hint of anything resembling song structure (doesn't really go against what I said earlier; nobody broadcasts metal in the U.S., so there was nothing to change my mind even if I was willing to give it a shot). Originally, it was just power metal, but with all the guest singers and genre crossovers, I branched out in basically all directions. The thing about being a metal fan is that it turns you into a music nut. It may be different elsewhere in the world, but in this country, metal is about six degrees off of mainstream, so if you want to find new music, you had better put nose to the grindstone and go looking for it yourself. This translates pretty easily to other musical styles as well -- since you will already be used to following the road less traveled -- so it becomes, if not easy, then at least familiar, trying really hard to find classical music you haven't heard of, or indie rock, or whatever it is that happens to strike your fancy.

I'm still essentially a metal fan, but I'm trying to listen to as much stuff as I can. Maybe my tastes will change again someday, but I don't see it wandering that far (it's a really BIG genre).
Metal is a very big genre; hence the reason I don't want to become drowned in that swamp. I like some prog metal and classic metal but in general I don't think very highly of the genre. Because quite frankly the majority of heavy metal I've sought out for myself and that I've heard on hard rock radio sucks pretty bad. It could be that I'm just listening to the wrong shit and in heart I might secretly be a metalhead but somehow I doubt that's the case (can't help but wonder though). Listening to a guitarist hack at his instrument and scream his lungs out for three minutes just doesn't satisfy me, especially when I could be listening to a guitarist doing some real fret work! Please berate me if I'm ignorant. Any recommendations?

I will also say that before I started listening to progressive rock my misconception was that the songs would be random musicianship without any coherence but that's clearly not the case at all. There's a lot of wonderful stuff to be found in progressive rock. The Flower Kings and Camel are two of my more recent discoveries.

Griffin

Listening to a guitarist hack at his instrument and scream his lungs out for three minutes just doesn't satisfy me, especially when I could be listening to a guitarist doing some real fret work! Please berate me if I'm ignorant. Any recommendations?
I don't think you're being ignorant. I really like metal music - among other things. If something isn't for you, why persisting? Listen to stuff you really like, life's too short ;) If you really like fretting, you should try Andy James:

I started listening to music quite late (when I was 13-14): I got Linkin Park and Metallica by a friend and was totally hooked, from there I moved on to Arch Enemy, Children of Bodom and Amon Amarth, which got me into metal all together, with subgenres such as death, some thrash, some black, progressive, post metal (think Neurosis, Cult of Luna, Amenra), metalcore...

Next to that I enjoy other hevier genres like rock, grunge, punkrock and post-hardcore.

That doesn't mean I'm all for the heavy stuff, I tremendously enjoy post-rock, (jazz-infused) experimental music, modern and classical music.

Bierschneeman

Im a big Industrial fan, Nine Inch Nails, Skinny Puppy, Einsturzende Neubauten, and of course a lot of the older and more obscure Industrial bands
My second Love would be Heavy Metal, the old school Deep Purple, Blue Oyster Cult, Black Sabbath et cetera, up to the faster Thrash Metal Bands, into the deep and scary Black Metal, like Dark Throne, and Immortal. not so much Glam Metal, its alright, and not so much GirlfriendMetal...Like Helloween.
third, I would say is Progressive Rock....I would kill for the last Pink Floyd Album post apocalyspe
and goo-ol Blues like Johnson
Grunge Like Nirvana, but not its cleaned up Seattl Scene vibe you get from bands like Pearl Jam
and everythingelse. (not a genre or subgenre I don't have an album of.)
My last holdout is New Wave (most people call some of these bands PUNK, but they are really New Wave) I HATE New wave, but old school can't hardly findems punk from the 60s and early 70s...LOVEIT.

Bierschneeman

hmm, I think I can do better than what I have.
a good way to interpret musical choice changes is with firsts (in chronological order)

my first radio song hit (ie the first song I singled out as an enjoyment of mine) Beatles ~Babies in Black
My First purchased vinyl King Crimson~ Court of the Crimson King
My first Concert Blue Oyster Cult
My first CD Nirvana~ Incecticide
The first Album I bought multiple times Nine Inch Nails ~ the Downward Spiral
The Last Albums I bought Johnson (again) complete, Harry Smith's Folk Anthologies (OMG this is soooo very great) , Black Sabbath ~Thirteen, and Lorde ~Heroine

Zymologist

Has been in the eye of the world
When I was in high school and college, I liked (or thought I liked) hard rock and metal. Turns out I didn't really know what metal actually was, and only liked hard rock by default.

Since then, I have become a huge metalhead. I listen to and completely dig all styles of metal; everything from traditional heavy metal, to power metal, to doom metal, to the harshest and most underground black, death, and funeral doom. As an example of how underground my tastes are, I just recently picked up a CD copy of an excellent 4-song EP--#47 of only 80 printed.

If most people hear what I really like, they tend to think I'm a complete freak because they simply cannot get past the harshness of the music to see how intelligent it can actually be. I think of my metal like I think of IPAs: if you haven't developed a taste for it, you'll think it tastes disgusting and will forever wonder how any weirdo could possibly actually like the stuff. It's just too bitter for you. (By the way, I love IPAs.)

But, to each his own. Listen to what you like, and I'll listen to what I like. :)