Musical Instuments

Jon Snow

No Power in the Verse can stop me
Staff member
Well, not so much. I play the guitar a bit and I learn songs to sing with my school kids. I know how to play the piano (got to about 5th grade). I know how to see in pitch and in tune, but I don't have many octaves and my voice isn't the greatest =)

Obscenic

Told lies with Locke
I play mandolin. I'm not classically trained, though I used to compete in various competitions, mostly neighboring state championships.

Also a fair guitar player, as it's not too difficult of a crossover. Theoretically I know a hundred or more songs on the violin, as it's the exact same tuning as a mandolin, but I never mastered bow technique.

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
I've owned a guitar for more than two years, but rarely take it out and never learned to play.

Does that count?
I got a guitar for my 17th birthday. Took a few lessons back when I was in high school. It's still in my closet but I think I was about 19 the last time I played it. Seeing as I'll be 35 soon...well, that's a long time for a guitar to sit in the closet. Just can't quite bring myself to get rid of it.

LamiaKnight

Stood on the wall with Druss
Theoretically I know a hundred or more songs on the violin, as it's the exact same tuning as a mandolin, but I never mastered bow technique.
i tried to learn violin but the bow threw me off and it ended up frustrating me causing me to quit it. i do play guitar and bass. i also play Bb Clarinet, thats probably my best instrument. i really want to learn harp but they are thousands of dollars that i dont have.

kaladin

Got in a fistfight with Dresden
Can play piano/synth quite decently. Guitar, bass and drums is also fun to play, but can't claim to have mastered them in any sense. If theres some other musicians or people interested in playing,writing or composing music we could try to create a fanbased theme song for some book. :p I guess theres alot of literally and poetically talented people around here (i'm not) who could add lyrics etc while those knowing how to drum the instrument can add the musical part. :p

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
I played violin between age 9 & 15, got to Grade 5. At 16 the violin wasn't cool enough so i saved up and bought myself an Epiphone SG electric guitar. Been playing guitar since, now have 3, and like to dabble in a bit of song writing from time to time!

Tried the French Horn once but it hurt my lips, so that phase didn't last long =)

BobDaNob

Hung out on a briar with Honorable Jorg
I've been an avid guitarist for the better part of eighteen years. I've owned a small harem of axes through the years, some exotic beauties and some that are straight dogs.

Being a musician is one of the best things someone can do with their mind, right alongside reading a quality book.

guilty_as_charged

A farm boy with a sword
I play piano, and write songs. As well as sing. My obsession lately is converting punk rock songs to piano :S it sounds weird but the effects produced are really cool.

guilty_as_charged

blitzburns4

Owns a Ring of Power
How do you even do that? I can only guess you were using buzzsaw blades as cymbals?

I can play axel-f on the piano. Classics never die.
Haha I'm flattered you thought so highly of me, but the truth is much less glamorous then that. In an Arts and Crafts I was playing with the scissors and cut myself.

Its not one of my prouder moments.

Blood was everywhere, and all the girls in my class were freaking the heck out. (Least to say, it was quite the ordeal in 6th grade arts and crafts.) I had been decently good though, I had just started taking on the In a Gadda Da Vida drum solo for my music school's drum concert. In hindsight, Drums had been a hell of a lot of fun. I wish I hadn't given up on it.

As you can see, perfect song for earlier-type musicians. Would have loved to perform it live.

Last edited:

atheling

A Poet of the Khaiem
Haha I'm flattered you thought so highly of me, but the truth is much less glamorous then that. In an Arts and Crafts I was playing with the scissors and cut myself.

Its not one of my prouder moments.

Blood was everywhere, and all the girls in my class were freaking the heck out. (Least to say, it was quite the ordeal in 6th grade arts and crafts.) I had been decently good though, I had just started taking on the In a Gadda Da Vida drum solo for my music school's drum concert. In hindsight, Drums had been a hell of a lot of fun. I wish I hadn't given up on it.
aw, man. I had this image of someone playing drums like Animal from the muppets.