My name is Jon Snow and I'm addicted to buying Hardcover books.

Jon Snow

No Power in the Verse can stop me
Staff member
Have a chance to buy some first ed books from authors that I like. However, It does mean forking out quite a bit of cash ($60usd each).

Should I do it?!?!?!

Jon Snow

Staff member
First visit this site http://www.emptymirrorbooks/collecting/firstedition-values.html
There are so many things to consider otherwise you'll just buy a very expensive used book.

But, I guess it's about you and how much it's worth to you, right?
It's really about me and how it looks on my shelf =P but thanks for that sight. I looked through it! I'm sure it will be helpful for others. Here is the unbroken link

How to find the value of your first edition & collectible books.

Antoxx

Journeyed there and back again
I'm probably the wrong person to respond to this as I think I've got an online book buying addiction myself at the moment! By my reckoning it all depends on how many other vices you have. I figure i spend bugger all money on much else, so what the hell!

10 reasons for buying it:
1. Kiwi is buying US 80 cents so exchange rate is working for you.
2. Hardcover books are durable and therefore likely to withstand most things barring a nuclear attack.
3. Hardcover books retain their shape better.
4. Given their price appreciation to date one can always view them as an investment.
5. Given their added weight they can also come in handy for things like paperweights, doorstops etc.
6. They look so much more impressive than paperbacks. It might trick people into thinking you're cultured.
7. If you ever get kicked out of the teaching profession you can always start up your own 2nd hand bookstore.
8. They increase the price of your house by making the decor look so much better.
9. They're a useful fuel source if things get really tight and cold.
10.The Gods will it.

As a bonus pretend that the additional money being spent helps your favoured authors write even more material!

Enjoy them!

Jon Snow

Staff member
10 reasons for buying it:
1. Kiwi is buying US 80 cents so exchange rate is working for you. <---- So I should buy way more than one then?
2. Hardcover books are durable and therefore likely to withstand most things barring a nuclear attack. <---- I have heaps already!
3. Hardcover books retain their shape better. <----- You should see the way I read paperbacks. My friend's thinks that I haven't read them.
4. Given their price appreciation to date one can always view them as an investment. <---- Yep, because when Apocalypse happens, you can use it as firewood.
5. Given their added weight they can also come in handy for things like paperweights, doorstops etc. <---- or killing home invaders
6. They look so much more impressive than paperbacks. It might trick people into thinking you're cultured. <---- Are you saying I'm not? Bring it bitch! Outisde...now!
7. If you ever get kicked out of the teaching profession you can always start up your own 2nd hand bookstore. <---- best idea ever
8. They increase the price of your house by making the decor look so much better. <---- like I didn't know this!
9. They're a useful fuel source if things get really tight and cold. <---- re: #4
10.The Gods will it. <---- which ones? =P

As a bonus pretend that the additional money being spent helps your favoured authors write even more material! <--- this isn't true because GRRM is such a slack arse

Jon Snow

Staff member

Jon Snow

Staff member

Jon Snow

Staff member

Jon Snow

Staff member
Doh! Note to self, 1st means before 2nd. So you're not going to wrap it up in cellophane and leave it on the shelf? I feel a new thread coming on.
LOL no. I'll read it =) I have a few first eds now from the authors that I like. None of them are worth anything though =P

Jon Snow

Staff member

Jon Snow

Staff member
Why don't you upload a pic of your hardback collection? Let's check it out.
Yeah I can do that at some point. Like I said, need to tidy the bookshelf =)