Never Again List

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
This came up in another thread so I thought I'd start one here. What authors will you never read again (and why)?

Here's mine:
  1. Mercedes Lackey (took me far too long to realize she writes the same book over and over again)
  2. Terry Goodkind (should be obvious)
  3. Terry Brooks (his books just aren't that good, maybe because I first read them as an adult)
  4. L.E. Modesitt, Jr. (another one who writes the same book over and over again)
  5. Sharing Knife books from Lois McMaster Bujold (I still like her Chalion universe books, though -- but the Sharing Knife tried to meld romance with fantasy and I don't think it did either particularly well)

wakarimasen

Journeyed there and back again
Authors who have gotten on my nerves somehow so I won't buy anything more from them... this could be contentious:
1) Stephen Donaldson. A Massive figure from my youth but I'm quite bored with him now. Suspect he writes with a lexicon of difficult words close to hand to look clever.
2) Alistair Reynolds. Absolution Gap wasn't a bad book but it was responsible for me falling out of love with sci-fi from predominant yawning.
3) Terry Brooks. A druid in a black cloak led me to this revelation....repeatedly.

There are some others, but generally if a book is that bad then I don't bother remembering them.

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member
I sense much anger in you.:)
That smiley at the end just tops it lol

I don't have anybody on my list. I don't have a hate list. I feel inadequate like a Jedi among the Sith. You guys know how to hate.

Hand of Fear

China Mieville has one more chance with me and he's out of here if I don't like the next book I read by him, which will be King Rat.

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
China Mieville has one more chance with me and he's out of here if I don't like the next book I read by him, which will be King Rat.
Yeah, I probably should've put him on my list as well. I bought PSS, The City and the City, and The Scar and I didn't care for the first two. I will probably give The Scar a chance since I already paid for it (but it might not be for five years) and then stop with Mieville.

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
No one on my list - I've got too much love to give. There's part of me that will always be willing to give an author a second chance.

I haven't read Mieville though, and I've got a feeling I really wouldn't get on with his style, from what others have said about him. Will reserve judgement for the time being!

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
I haven't read Mieville though, and I've got a feeling I really wouldn't get on with his style, from what others have said about him. Will reserve judgement for the time being!
It sounds like @Hand of Fear doesn't really like him. So maybe you will?

Griffin

I've only got one author on my list and that's Terry Goodkind. Once read the first ten pages of his Sword of Truth series and thought it horribly written.
I've no real other authors I hate, as I meticulously check every book I might want to read (reviews, opinions by members on this board...) so since Goodkind I haven't read a horrible book yet. There are some I thought were just okay, but that's often because they are early written books (Terry Pratchett comes to mind) and they evolved in a good way. There are books with mixed reviews on my tbr-list, but I've yet to read all the great stuff so, in the far off future there might be more authors on my never again list.

Last edited:

Hand of Fear

If you are going to read any of his books I would go with PSS, but I have a feeling others may say to read The Scar.

Last edited:

Sir Arthur

I don't have a hate list.
I don't have one either, but I'm thinking of canceling my Kindle unlimited.

Ursula K. Le Guin (I think my hatred for the woman herself is going to keep me from liking anything she does, but I'll give her one more shot, one of her sci-fi novels that get so much praise probably)
I know nothing about her, but I enjoyed the Earthsea books. What did she do? Did she poison your puppy?

ofer

There are several authors that I've read one or more of their books and didn't like, so I'll probably never read any of their stuff again as there is enough good books out there, but I wouldn't go as far as saying never again - if, by accident, they'll publish a book which will get good reviews and good recs from this forum, there's an outside chance that I'll give them another go.

However, 2 authors are definitely on my shitlist, and it will probably take a gun pointed at my head to read anything by them. Only probably, as sometimes there are fates worse then death ;) :

1. Terry Goodkind - to quote Sneaky, should be obvious. How I envy Griffin for reading only 10 pages.
2. Ian Irvine - several years ago, I've read his Well of Echoes series. It was 4 long, boring books, which I really struggled to finish (and how I wish I didn't). Anyway, when I finally reached the ending, it just topped everything. As in an infinite universe anything is possible, there's a chance that someone will try those books despite my warning, so since I'm about to reveal the ending I'll put it in spoiler - although I urge everyone to read the spoiler and stay away from the series.
Ok, so I slugged through a rather boring series, only to find out that the entire series, not just a book, ends with a cliffhanger and at the end of it there's something like "the protagonist tale continues in the next series". It was a complete rip-off. I wanted my money and time back and to rip the books to shreds. Needless to say I didn't bother finding out how the next series goes.

Derk of Derkholm

Larry Correia!

Many fellow Dresden fans suggested his books to me.
I stupidly bought the omnibus edition of the first books from his "Monster Hunters" series without requesting the Kindle sample first (which I have done ever since). The first 10 pages would have told me to drop it, which I did after about 40 pages.

Seriously, I'd rather start a book by Robert Stanek than continue with that drivel.

Best regards,
Andy

Last edited:

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member
I don't have one either, but I'm thinking of canceling my Kindle unlimited.
The choice is certainly limited unless one mainly reads classic sci-fi and fantasy as well as self-pub. For anyone who wants to read new releases by top writers in the field now, it's practically worthless.
I found that my ebook lending library has much better choices.

On the OT, I think I've skipped all the bad authors mainly because of this site. I only started reading fantasy in English couple of years back, and when I was looking for my next reads after Lukyanenko, Sapkowski and GRRM, one of the first things I found were the lists on the main site.

Jakyro

On the OT, I think I've skipped all the bad authors mainly because of this site. I only started reading fantasy in English couple of years back, and when I was looking for my next reads after Lukyanenko, Sapkowski and GRRM, one of the first things I found were the lists on the main site.
the same happened to me.
I started off reading fantasy again a couple of months back with reading ASOIAF (still busy), and by skimming the web for my next fantasy read I also stumbled on this site. I've already selected several books and series I'm going to read next so I think I'll be fine for now. I don't expect I'll be adding any authors to my “never list” soon