Never Again List

Laura J Drake

Knows how to pronounce Kvothe
Terry Brooks
When I was younger I thought I could tell a better story than that. I picked some of his later works, still think I could tell a better story. :)

moonspawn

Journeyed there and back again
I haven't read Mieville though, and I've got a feeling I really wouldn't get on with his style, from what others have said about him. Will reserve judgement for the time being!
What have others said about him? Of all contemporary fantasy authors I've read he's perhaps the best prose stylist.

Ursula K. Le Guin (I think my hatred for the woman herself is going to keep me from liking anything she does, but I'll give her one more shot, one of her sci-fi novels that get so much praise probably)
What do you hate so much about her? I think you'll adore and love her as I do if you read The Left Hand of Darkness. Its very literary.

moonspawn

My never to read again list:

Terry Goodkind - One was enough.
Terry Brooks - Wasted my time reading way too many books of his.
R.A. Salvatore - My reading tastes have changed a lot since I've read him. I can still feel a bitter taste on my tongue when I think of Icewind dale.
Hugh Howey - One was enough.
Shirley Jackson - One was enough.
Brian Jacques - I liked his books but that was when I was younger.
Jonathan Stroud - Ok book but one was still enough.
Wallace Breem - Just an okay author.
Brian McClellan - One was enough
Fiona McIntash - One was enough.
Marion Zimmer Bradley - One was enough
Christopher Paolini
Vince Flynn - One was enough
Ken Scholes - Lamentations was okay but one was still enough.
Raymond E. Feist - One of the worst authors ever.
C.S. Friedman - No desire to read anything else by her after Blacksun Rising.
Suzanne Collins

Then there are some authors such as Guy Gavriel Gay and Scott Lynch who are in great danger of being placed on this list soon. Then there are other authors whom I only ever planned to read one book from. However, I may reread some of those books by one time authors at some point.

Shorty

Philosophizes with Kellhus
There are several authors that I've read one or more of their books and didn't like, so I'll probably never read any of their stuff again as there is enough good books out there, but I wouldn't go as far as saying never again - if, by accident, they'll publish a book which will get good reviews and good recs from this forum, there's an outside chance that I'll give them another go.
Exactly my thoughts.

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member
Oh yeah I forgot. She is on my never read list, but not for reasons of bad writing, because I never read her books and it will remain that way.
She was a sexual abuser and she abused her own children. She was also married to a child abuser, knew about his actions and didn't do anything because she was the same as him.

Here's what her daughter said:

"Moira Greyland, Bradley's daughter, went public with her accusation on the blog of the author Deirdre Saoirse Moen earlier this month, giving Moen permission to quote from an email in which she wrote: "The first time she molested me, I was three. The last time, I was 12, and able to walk away … She was cruel and violent, as well as completely out of her mind sexually. I am not her only victim, nor were her only victims girls."

Greyland is the daughter of Bradley and Walter Breen, who was jailed for child molestation and died in prison. Greyland wrote in her email to Moen: "I put Walter in jail for molesting one boy ... Walter was a serial rapist with many, many, many victims (I named 22 to the cops) but Marion was far, far worse."

You can read more about it here' http://www.theguardian.com/books/20...-marion-zimmer-bradley-daughter-accuses-abuse

I forgot about her, but your post reminded me of that.

Derk of Derkholm

Oh yeah I forgot. She is on my never read list, but not for reasons of bad writing, because I never read her books and it will remain that way.
She was a sexual abuser and she abused her own children. She was also married to a child abuser, knew about his actions and didn't do anything because she was the same as him.
Quite horrible, thank you for bringing this up.

Best regards,
Andy

Alucard

Staff member
Happy to inform you guys.
There's always a question of separating artist from his/her art, but there's a limit to that.
I will happily read books by people who have different political, ideological or religious convictions from me, but I can't in good conscience support people in any way who abuse other people, especially children.

Boreas

Staff member
Only author I know I'll never read again is Terry Goodkind. Probably the only time a Jedi Mind trick won't work on me.

Authors I have no interest in trying out are Terry Brooks and J. K. Rowling. My brother read a lot of Brooks' Shannara novels when we were in our teens, and even then they held little appeal. Harry Potter...no interest, and not because it's young adult. Just seems like a poor man's Timothy Hunter (ground that Neil Gaiman already covered).

I didn't know that about Marion Zimmer Bradley, but I'll still try her Darkover novels. I've been wanting to try those out for years. Even bought some of the omnibus editions that DAW put out a while ago.

I'm iffy about giving Sanderson another go. Couldn't stand "Elantris" and the Mistborn books hold no interest for me. I'm keeping his "Steelheart" as an option when I want something really light to read.

As for Robert Jordan, it's too late. Any marginal interest I might have still had towards the end of the 90s has completely disappeared. I would need to start from the beginning again and, well, fuck that.
R.A. Salvatore - My reading tastes have changed a lot since I've read him. I can still feel a bitter taste on my tongue when I think of Icewind dale.
Yeah, those side characters keep getting bloody annoying, especially that pathetic barbarian Wulfgar. The more I read those books, the more I started hating all those extra characters...except for the Drow and the assassin Entreri. I still love the Drow Elves as a fantasy creation and I can probably reread Drizzt's origin [Dark Elf] trilogy (and maybe even some of the other books featureing more Drow).
I liked her science fiction.
I haven't read Mieville though, and I've got a feeling I really wouldn't get on with his style, from what others have said about him. Will reserve judgement for the time being!
If you're choosing between "Perdido Street Station", "The Scar" and "The City and the City", then I concur with Hand of Fear that you should start with PSS. If it's with some other book, then I don't know.

Last edited:

Derk of Derkholm

As for Robert Jordan, it's too late. Any marginal interest I might have still had towards the end of the 90s has completely disappeared. I would need to start from the beginning again and, well, fuck that.
I did that a few times ... re-read Wheel of Time whenever a new book came out. Yes, there are quite some lags (especially between books 5 and 8 if I remember correctly), but I did not regret it.

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
Christopher Paolini
I can't call him "never again" because I never picked any of his books up in the first place. (I saw the Eragon movie, though, and it was baaaaaaad.) But yeah, I'm not going there.

Boreas

Staff member
Yeah, that's what I meant. I don't have issues with children's books. My favourites remain "The Secret Garden" and "The BFG". As for the child wizard-in-training trope, DC/Vertigo put out a 4-part mini series in the early 90s called "Books of Magic" (in prestige format, if I remember correctly) that featured a different (and excellent) artist for each issue. It was very good, and later spawned its own full fledged series (not written by the likes of Gaiman, unfortunately).
I did that a few times ... re-read Wheel of Time whenever a new book came out. Yes, there are quite some lags (especially between books 5 and 8 if I remember correctly), but I did not regret it.
Wow, you read the whole thing more than 2 times? If the characters were interesting, then maybe. I remember only finding one character interesting, that Mat guy. The whole idea of rereading the series strikes me as an ordeal.

Alucard

Staff member
Squash that Young Adult bullshit. It's a kids book. Anyone who has issue with that see me after class.
:borg:
(For the record I enjoyed them.)
I heard Harry Potter books start as children books or middle-grade but by the end as characters themselves grow so do the books, both in size and content, becoming more of a young adult books.
But I still have every intention of reading them, because I like the movies, that world and the characters. Especially Snape.

ofer

Authors I have no interest in trying out are Terry Brooks and J. K. Rowling. My brother read a lot of Brooks' Shannara novels when we were in our teens, and even then they held little appeal. Harry Potter...no interest, and not because it's young adult. Just seems like a poor man's Timothy Hunter (ground that Neil Gaiman already covered).
The problem I had with Brooks is that I read his first shannara trilogy only a few years ago. Maybe I would have loved the books 20-25 years ago but now they just bored me. Don't think I will read anything by him again but like I said, if he will publish something new which people here will say is good, there's an outside chance I'll give him another go.
I heard Harry Potter books start as children books or middle-grade but by the end as characters themselves grow so do the books, both in size and content, becoming more of a young adult books.
That's what my sister said. She's not really into fantasy or sci-fi but she loved the books. Don't think I'll be reading them myself, though - I saw all the movies.
I thought about re-reading them when the last book came out 2 years ago but the thought of reading books 8-10 again was too daunting.. I think I re-read books 1-7 before book 8 came out, although it's been so long that I'm not sure.

My never to read again list:

Terry Goodkind - One was enough.
Terry Brooks - Wasted my time reading way too many books of his.
Hugh Howey - One was enough.
Shirley Jackson - One was enough.
Brian Jacques - I liked his books but that was when I was younger.
Jonathan Stroud - Ok book but one was still enough.
Wallace Breem - Just an okay author.
Brian McClellan - One was enough
Fiona McIntash - One was enough.
Christopher Paolini
Vince Flynn - One was enough
Ken Scholes - Lamentations was okay but one was still enough.
Raymond E. Feist - One of the worst authors ever.
Suzanne Collins

Then there are some authors such as Guy Gavriel Gay and Scott Lynch who are in great danger of being placed on this list soon. Then there are other authors whom I only ever planned to read one book from. However, I may reread some of those books by one time authors at some point.
Wow, that's a very long list. I never even heard of some of them, like Shirley Jackson and Wallace Breen.

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
The problem I had with Brooks is that I read his first shannara trilogy only a few years ago. Maybe I would have loved the books 20-25 years ago but now they just bored me.
I remember OTHER people reading them when I was in high school and liking them. But I didn't read them until I was in my 30s. And I'm like, yo, this is a huge LotR rip-off. And then with the next trilogy it was like, yo, this is the same book as before but with different character names. And so on.

kenubrion

Only author I know I'll never read again is Terry Goodkind. Probably the only time a Jedi Mind trick won't work on me.

I didn't know that about Marion Zimmer Bradley, but I'll still try her Darkover novels. I've been wanting to try those out for years. Even bought some of the omnibus editions that DAW put out a while ago.

I'm iffy about giving Sanderson another go. Couldn't stand "Elantris" and the Mistborn books hold no interest for me. I'm keeping his "Steelheart" as an option when I want something really light to read.

Yeah, those side characters keep getting bloody annoying, especially that pathetic barbarian Wulfgar. The more I read those books, the more I started hating all those extra characters...except for the Drow and the assassin Entreri. I still love the Drow Elves as a fantasy creation and I can probably reread Drizzt's origin [Dark Elf] trilogy (and maybe even some of the other books featureing more Drow).

I liked her science fiction.

If you're choosing between "Perdido Street Station", "The Scar" and "The City and the City", then I concur with Hand of Fear that you should start with PSS. If it's with some other book, then I don't know.
Boreas said "I didn't know that about Marion Zimmer Bradley, but I'll still try her Darkover novels. I've been wanting to try those out for years. Even bought some of the omnibus editions that DAW put out a while ago." Funny you mention her as I just started The Planet Savers, the first in the Darkover world according to publication date, and she recommended going by that instead of chronological order. I think I'm going to like Darkover. Been planning on getting to it for a long time. Sure, it's too bad she never had to pay for her crimes which are horrendous.
Otherwise my never agains have already mostly been mentioned.

Boreas

Staff member
Been planning on getting to it for a long time.
Yeah, I was thinking of trying out her novels from a long time ago, but I was always confused as to where to start since she wrote so much and all over the place (mini cycles in her grand cycle, many of them connected) and completely out of any kind of chronology. Different people recommended different starting points for different reasons, which just confused me even more. At some point before 2005, I bought myself the first three omnibus paperbacks that DAW printed, which starts out with "Heritage and Exile". Once I surrendered to the DAW omnibus ordering, I felt better. I've since found the first and third omnibus paperbacks, but the second one is still missing somewhere.