Never Again List

kenubrion

Journeyed there and back again
Boreas, A World Divided is called Omnibus #5 by Amazon and conveniently has the first three books after The Planet Savers in the order she recommended. So that's next up. Glad to know I'm not the only one confused where to start or go from there.

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
Raymond E. Feist - One of the worst authors ever.
Ha, I didn't see him in your list the first time I read it. I think he's another one I'm avoiding from here on out. I read one of his trilogies (contained some characters from other books and was more recent work, not his earliest stuff). Felt like he was just phoning it in.

Zymologist

Has been in the eye of the world
I have a couple, but they'll probably be controversial. But what else is an opinion for? J.K. Rowling and Stephen King.

Sir Arthur

I hate to black list an author. However, I'll never read any of her H.P. books. Funny, as I typed that, I looked over at my 4 year old daughter. Hmm, I hope I never have read any H.P.. I'll just have to expose her to better fantasy before she dsicovers it. She already has a 1st edition copy of The Hobbit on her book shelf.

In fact, now that I think about it. I'd rather make a list of books I'll never read, than authors I'll never read.

Griffin

I do not get why you guys would put J.K. Rowling on the never gain list. What about her or her writing bothers you guys?

Boreas

Staff member
I hate to black list an author. However, I'll never read any of her H.P. books. Funny, as I typed that, I looked over at my 4 year old daughter. Hmm, I hope I never have read any H.P.. I'll just have to expose her to better fantasy before she dsicovers it. She already has a 1st edition copy of The Hobbit on her book shelf.

In fact, now that I think about it. I'd rather make a list of books I'll never read, than authors I'll never read.
Agreed. I won't read Harry Potter, either. You can find better stories to read to your daughter than H. P., which she can read on her own time as she gets older. I watched the movies as they came out, but got bored even with that and gave up.
I saw the Eragon movie, though, and it was baaaaaaad.) But yeah, I'm not going there.
I couldn't even get through the Eragon movie.

Last edited:

Haven

Became a Faceless Man
My list:

Paolini
Mark Charan Newton
Terry Goodkind
Terry Brooks
Cassandra Clare ( I was young, and very,very stupid)

Zymologist

Has been in the eye of the world
I do not get why you guys would put J.K. Rowling on the never gain list. What about her or her writing bothers you guys?
I haven't read Harry Potter in years (though I did read almost the entire series), so it's a bit hard for me to specific. I just wasn't impressed with it. It was majorly overhyped, by adults, and then just turned out to be a kid's fantasy about a bunch of really annoying kids, basically. To each his own.

Griffin

I literally grew up with the HP-series and reread it a lot when I was a teen. I admit to being utterly surprised about the reactions here. Nonetheless you are right, to each his own ;)

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
I literally grew up with the HP-series and reread it a lot when I was a teen.
Now you're making me feel old. I first heard of these books when I was in college and only read them in my 20s.

Edit: I just peeked at your profile and saw your age. Yeah, I'm feeling old today.

moonspawn

Oh yeah I forgot. She is on my never read list, but not for reasons of bad writing, because I never read her books and it will remain that way.
She was a sexual abuser and she abused her own children. She was also married to a child abuser, knew about his actions and didn't do anything because she was the same as him.

Here's what her daughter said:

"Moira Greyland, Bradley's daughter, went public with her accusation on the blog of the author Deirdre Saoirse Moen earlier this month, giving Moen permission to quote from an email in which she wrote: "The first time she molested me, I was three. The last time, I was 12, and able to walk away … She was cruel and violent, as well as completely out of her mind sexually. I am not her only victim, nor were her only victims girls."

Greyland is the daughter of Bradley and Walter Breen, who was jailed for child molestation and died in prison. Greyland wrote in her email to Moen: "I put Walter in jail for molesting one boy ... Walter was a serial rapist with many, many, many victims (I named 22 to the cops) but Marion was far, far worse."

You can read more about it here' http://www.theguardian.com/books/20...-marion-zimmer-bradley-daughter-accuses-abuse

I forgot about her, but your post reminded me of that.
This makes me think doing extensive research on authors before I pick up there stuff might be a good idea. I hated Marion Zimmer Bradley after stopping halfway through Mists of Avalon. Thanks, you've just given me a new reason to hate her. :mad: We should start up an internet campaign called "Don't ever read Marion Zimmer Bradley."

moonspawn

I literally grew up with the HP-series and reread it a lot when I was a teen. I admit to being utterly surprised about the reactions here. Nonetheless you are right, to each his own ;)
I grew up with it too.

Now you're making me feel old. I first heard of these books when I was in college and only read them in my 20s.

Edit: I just peeked at your profile and saw your age. Yeah, I'm feeling old today.
I first heard of it when I was like 10 or something.

Boreas

Staff member
My first year of uni was in 1997 (though I quit before the academic year finished, worked for a couple of years and started again in 2000). When I went home for Christmas, my kid sister was raving about this new magician.