Never Again List

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
I thought of more:

Karen Miller (enough with the dialect already, and the one-dimensional villains)
K.J. Parker (all the characters are self-absorbed jerks and there's no magic)

I gave both of them far more of a chance than they deserved. Karen Miller, I think I've read maybe 8 books of hers. And 4 of Parker's. So I can't be accused of giving up on them to soon.

kenubrion

Journeyed there and back again
Sometimes I wonder if I'm the only guy in his 20s around here :p
Hey, sometimes I feel I'm the only guy NOT in his twenties here:)

Hand of Fear

OMG can't believe I forgot about N.K. Jemisin (ok maybe I can believe it) but I will never go anywhere near her books even with a bargepole !!

WOllfen

Is a wondrous friend of modest Kruppe
Well I am going to add my five cents worth here, these two are jsut off the top of my head but i am sure I will think of others later,
1. L. Ron. Hubbard. I tried reading his decalogy when I was much younger and gave up after book three and the only reason I got that far is because I though surely it will get better? No, it was awful and I had the ten books bought before I had started, ugh what a waste of printed paper.
2. Patrick Tilley The Amtrak Wars. These books couldn't decide if they were science fiction or magical. And then subtly shows his disdain for any culture different than his own ideal. The last book felt like he couldn't be bothered finishing the series properly, killing off both heroes and writing a short passage about how everything turned out fine after that.

wakarimasen

Only ever read Battlefield earth and actually I really enjoyed it. There was something in it though that warned me off reading anything else, especially longer series. So I completely understand.

Anyone ever read any of those Tekwar books that William Shatner did?

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
Anyone ever read any of those Tekwar books that William Shatner did?
One of them back when they first came out. I think I was in high school, though, and I don't remember a damned thing about it.

Derk of Derkholm

I do not get why you guys would put J.K. Rowling on the never gain list. What about her or her writing bothers you guys?
Don't feel bad!

I first got exposed to Harry Potter at 30 when the third book came out (must have been around 1999) and I liked them quite a lot. To be precise, starting with book 4, whenever a new book came out, I ordered two copies, early morning delivery from Amazon, so that both me and my wife could read them (and normally read them through in my case, my wife reads a bit slower) on the publishing day.

Yes, I did have my issues (especially with book 5 that sucked quite a bit) but as a whole, we really liked (and still like) them. And I would typically re-read the earlier books to be ready at publication day, so most likely I re-read the HP series even more often than I had thought.

Best regards,
Andy

Derk of Derkholm

Hey @Derk of Derkholm - what were you disagreeing with? Is it safe to assume you meant not reading L. Ron?
Are you saying he does have some stuff worth checking out? Or are you one of *them*? :troll:
Haha, no, but you wrote that you actually enjoyed "Battlefield Earth".
I had the misfortune to buy that book for a long flight and thoroughly hated it.
Beats me how someone who was such a horrible writer could motivate people to join his"religion".
That book is in a very prominent position on my "Never again list". I had managed to forget it until your post brought it up again, hence the disagreement :)

wakarimasen

hmmm... I was 12 when I read it. I feel no burning desire to go back and see if it really is any good.

I love scientology. It's just proof how stupid religion can be. Ever seen L. Ron's original notes on the religion, sketched out after some 5 day drug binge? It's hilarious! Aliens spacecraft that look distinctly like a child drawing a DC9 plane.

He shall henceforce go on my Never Again list.... unless it's reading some of that scientology stuff, which is just too funny not to.

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member
OMG can't believe I forgot about N.K. Jemisin (ok maybe I can believe it) but I will never go anywhere near her books even with a bargepole !!
Haha I forgot about her too. Guess I have one on my never again list :D

Danica

Queen of the boards!
Staff member
Many fellow Dresden fans suggested his books to me.
The only good advice I have got that started with "If you like Dresden you will like" was the Ben Aaronovtich series. The rest have been on a scale of 'total and utter crap' to 'yeah I don't like this at all'

Mieville - my god, NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER again. He is just way too out there in I don't even know where land for me to even see the band wagon of fans. I am never picking any of his work up again because I know I won't like it.

Kate Elliot - I read this back when it was on ben's Best fantasy Book list. I don't know what he was thinking but my god they were total drivel

Joe Abercrombie - So freaking sick of all this grimdark hobsgobble! Why is everyone so obsessed? jokes! scared you all right? Although I am sick of the work grimdark.

That evil bitch lady mentioned above. I have never even thought of reading her stuff and now never will and am totally up for a campaign of awareness if she really was an evil bitch.

I'll think of more later.

Derk of Derkholm

The only good advice I have got that started with "If you like Dresden you will like" was the Ben Aaronovtich series. The rest have been on a scale of 'total and utter crap' to 'yeah I don't like this at all'
i'd add the Alex Verus books and Night Watch!