Never Again List

Danica

Queen of the boards!
Staff member
nope to the Druid and nope to the Alex Verus books, tried them both. Haven't tried Night Watch, so watch out there Andy, I might be very cross with you soon!

ofer

Journeyed there and back again
nope to the Druid and nope to the Alex Verus books, tried them both. Haven't tried Night Watch, so watch out there Andy, I might be very cross with you soon!
Liked The Night Watch a lot so it's seconded. The plot and characters are way more complex than Dresden, although there's a bit less Kill 'em all scenes ;). Translation was really good - if I didn't know it was originally written in Russian I wouldn't have guessed it.

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member
there's also a film about night watch, isn't there? not sure if it's based on the books
I tried to watch it but I didn't really like it
Yes. There are two films. Night Watch and Day Watch. I thought first one was ok, second one is god awful. I watched them both with Russian audio.
They butchered a lot of the first book there, and made a completely new plot. I would say it's loosely based on the books. Still I first saw the movie and that made me want to read the books. At least they introduced the material to the English speaking world.

Derk of Derkholm

If I am not mistaken, both movies are based on different stories from the first book.
The first movie was actually one of the Russian movies that was most successful in foreign markets since a very long time.

Best regards,
Andy

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
I'm a bit late to the party, but I just wanted to add my 2 cents.

- I hate both Terry's (Brooks and Goodkind) for the reasons already mentioned by other posters. I've noticed that both authors get quite some support in the comments below the "Best 25 fantasy books" list. I can't for the life of me understand why.
- Glen Cook: I really dislike the Black Company books. I read 3 of them (the Black Company chronicles proper), and while I didn't hate them, I really dislike the author's writing style. I like me a bit of Shakespeare now and then. Cook's prose is raw, hard and ugly. Not my style (even though I did like certain concepts in the Black Company series, the main one being that evil/good all depends on one's perspective).
- Salvatore: Back when I first read his books I thought they were really cool. Now, 15 years later, I will never touch them again.

dunebuggy

Knows the real name of Lower Corte
Oh yeah I forgot. She is on my never read list, but not for reasons of bad writing, because I never read her books and it will remain that way.
She was a sexual abuser and she abused her own children. She was also married to a child abuser, knew about his actions and didn't do anything because she was the same as him.

Here's what her daughter said:

"Moira Greyland, Bradley's daughter, went public with her accusation on the blog of the author Deirdre Saoirse Moen earlier this month, giving Moen permission to quote from an email in which she wrote: "The first time she molested me, I was three. The last time, I was 12, and able to walk away … She was cruel and violent, as well as completely out of her mind sexually. I am not her only victim, nor were her only victims girls."

Greyland is the daughter of Bradley and Walter Breen, who was jailed for child molestation and died in prison. Greyland wrote in her email to Moen: "I put Walter in jail for molesting one boy ... Walter was a serial rapist with many, many, many victims (I named 22 to the cops) but Marion was far, far worse."

You can read more about it here' http://www.theguardian.com/books/20...-marion-zimmer-bradley-daughter-accuses-abuse

I forgot about her, but your post reminded me of that.
I enjoyed Mists of Avalon not knowing about her but when I did,walking past a bookshelf and I see her name on the binding,a chill runs through me. So,she's on my list,not that I really have one. I don't think I've read enough fantasy books yet to form one. But the gap series,is on my non existent list. I don't buy the round about way,to root for an anti hero,thats a vile rapist. If I could,get a jetpack and fly into his fictional world,blast off his nuts.

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
I enjoyed Mists of Avalon not knowing about her but when I did,walking past a bookshelf and I see her name on the binding,a chill runs through me. So,she's on my list,not that I really have one. I don't think I've read enough fantasy books yet to form one. But the gap series,is on my non existent list. I don't buy the round about way,to root for an anti hero,thats a vile rapist. If I could,get a jetpack and fly into his fictional world,blast off his nuts.
Ever read the Chronicles of Thomas Covenant? The main protagonist is a rapist who suffers from leprosy. A couple of chapters into the first book he raped a little girl. It was hard to continue reading after that, but in the end I did and I found it to be quite rewarding. Slowly Thomas goes from being the most vile, unlikable, character I've ever read to a person I could relate with. Not with the raping part of course, but with the fact that someone with such a damaged soul is capable of doing the most horrendous things and ending up to redeem himself and heal his soul.

dunebuggy

Knows the real name of Lower Corte
Ever read the Chronicles of Thomas Covenant? The main protagonist is a rapist who suffers from leprosy. A couple of chapters into the first book he raped a little girl. It was hard to continue reading after that, but in the end I did and I found it to be quite rewarding. Slowly Thomas goes from being the most vile, unlikable, character I've ever read to a person I could relate with. Not with the raping part of course, but with the fact that someone with such a damaged soul is capable of doing the most horrendous things and ending up to redeem himself and heal his soul.
I read the first two books,many years ago..I was like 11,maybe not the right reading material at that stage but because I was young,Thomas scared me and was worried I could get leprosy,if I bumped into something and not feel anything(a bit of a dumbo), so I couldn't bring myself to finish it..I should read it again at this stage,just so I can maybe complain about Thomas with more insight.:p

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
I read the first two books,many years ago..I was like 11,maybe not the right reading material at that stage but because I was young,Thomas scared me and was worried I could get leprosy,if I bumped into something and not feel anything(a bit of a dumbo), so I couldn't bring myself to finish it..I should read it again at this stage,just so I can maybe complain about Thomas with more insight.:p
Haha, you know what? I read the books when I was about 20 years old and I had the exact same reaction! I remember when I got my finger stuck between a door and I felt as though I didn't feel enough pain. I went completely bananas. I convinced myself that I was a leper. It took some long talks with my old man to dispel that notion.

Hand of Fear

-Salvatore: Back when I first read his books I thought they were really cool. Now, 15 years later, I will never touch them again.
I pretty much started off reading Fantasy with Salvatore and thought he was great, like you later on in life I now know he isn't so great but I still like reading his books every so often.