New BestFantasyBooks site (Post any Bugs or Punctuation/Spelling Errors here)

btkong

Journeyed there and back again
Staff member
Well the new site is FINALLY up. I've been talking about it for oh, like almost a year and a half now. It's taken a long long time and a hell of a lot of work. But, it's here.

I have not spent as much time as I should have editing the lists (the design and coding has taken hours every single day for a year, not to mention about the 2 months of writing spent making new lists and updating the old ones).

I hired a copyeditor at first, but they took one look at the 200k+ words on the lists (the Top 25 list is almost 50k words itself) and was a noshow.

So, be a peach guys and post any spelling or punctuation errors you see on the lists here. Any bugs or coding issues you find with the site / new features as well. Please list the list URL + entry number of any grammar/spelling you find on this thread. And trust me, you are going to find a lot! I'll hammer the list content into better shape over time, after the site is up and running proper, which will take a couple days to fix some issues.

NEW STUFF

• New Website Look -- homepage, content pages, and best list pages
  • 10 Updated Main Lists
  • 7 Brand New Fantasy Lists
  • Better Listiverse Integration on lists (Integration of Listiverse rankings, ratings, user reviews, award info, series info, author info into list items)
  • New User Similar Recommendations Widget on lists (the public can now easily recommend similar books to any book on the main lists and the recommendations are ranked the number of recommendations. This means if you like a book, get instant recommendations from the crowd for books that will be similar in style)
  • Homepage Listiverse section redesigned with more information showing
  • Working Search (finally!) on Homepage
  • Voting Poll on Homepage
  • Forum Feed Integration on Homepage Sidebar
  • Recent Listiverse lists comments shown on Right Sidebar
More stuff if you poke around.

Jon Snow

No Power in the Verse can stop me
Staff member
I've already alerted him to the books in the series part. But if you guys spot anything else. Then post it here.

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member
http://bestfantasybooks.com/test/lists/best-of-the-fantasy-genre.php

Under
Best Debut Fantasy Book of 2014 Pick
The Emeror's Blades by Brian Staveley

Under
Best Fantasy Book of 2013
Ocean at the Ewnd of the Lane by Neil Gaiman

Under
Best Dark Fantasy Pick
Coldfire Trilogy (Blades?) by CS Friedman

Under
Best Classic Sword and Sorcery Pick
Elric of Melinbone by Micheal Moorcock (should be Melnibone)

Under
Best Steampunk Fantasy Pick
Perdido Street Stationby China Mieville (needs spacing)

Under
Best Literary Fantasy Picks
Ghormanghast by Mervyn Peake (should be Gormenghast)

These are all just title spelling mistakes. I haven't read the text under them.

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
http://bestfantasybooks.com/test/lists/best-of-the-fantasy-genre.php

Under
Best Debut Fantasy Book of 2014 Pick
The Emeror's Blades by Brian Staveley

Under
Best Fantasy Book of 2013
Ocean at the Ewnd of the Lane by Neil Gaiman

Under
Best Dark Fantasy Pick
Coldfire Trilogy (Blades?) by CS Friedman

Under
Best Classic Sword and Sorcery Pick
Elric of Melinbone by Micheal Moorcock (should be Melnibone)

Under
Best Steampunk Fantasy Pick
Perdido Street Stationby China Mieville (needs spacing)

Under
Best Literary Fantasy Picks
Ghormanghast by Mervyn Peake (should be Gormenghast)

These are all just title spelling mistakes. I haven't read the text under them.
I'll bet it's maddening to run spell-check on fantasy book titles! I'd start ignoring all the squiggly red underlines, too...

btkong

Staff member
Awesome guys, keep pointing out grammar/typos, bugs. I'll run through this list at the end of the day and fix everything.

Yes, I'm having an issue with the new site loading the disqus comments on each list. They either seem to load the same comments for every list or non at all. Working on it.

Derk of Derkholm

Awesome, like the new style. Had some issues to log in earlier, but that was most likely a connectivity issue from my local internet provider (or the site was blocked by the Great Patriotic Firewall of China until they now know what it is up to)

Best regards,
Andy

Derk of Derkholm

Top 100 list:

Ghormengast and some others (Hobbit, Eric of Melnibone etc.) are somehow not really legible on my web browser (vintage Internet Explorer 8), starts with a nice antique-looking text in white colour on a light blue background, the background then fades out to white, and white on white makes for poor legibility. Don't know if that is an IE issue, but I notice that some entries have a modern black font, while others have the old-style white font. One or two (e.g. "The Golden Compass") look as if the font was somehow messed up.

Text at Watership down, quite a number of spaces, commas and hyphens are missing: (indicated by "/*/", "/,/" and "/-/")

An absolute classic that deserves to be read. It's a story/*/of hardship and triumphs involving/*/rabbits?
Its hard to describe this story in anything but/*/superlatives. Reading about a band of anthropomorphized rabbits who band/*/together to find a new warren after a vision of their current warren being/*/destroyed tugs your heart in all the right places.
A charming story that /-/ like all great works of literature /-/ speaks on two levels /,/ the metaphorical level of theme and the literal level of/*/the story. What's also awesome about this story is its extremely well written /,/ the language and story itself is not dumbed down, but complex and /*/ sophisticated.
It's an exciting read for both adults and children and there/*/is a story in it for each. This book is not only considered a classic in the/*/fantasy genre, but a classic of literature and arguably one of the best of all/*/books.

Last edited:

ofer

Great Work! and Discworld finally made it into the top 25! :)

Here is what I found:
Technical issue - the home page takes about a minute to load for me. Only the homepage - all other lists load just fine. And it happens regardless whether I'm accessing the homepage from within another page on this site or from a new tab. I'm using IE10 - and yes, I know it's not the optimal browser to use, or even the latest version of IE, but (probably like some others who access this site) I have very little choise in this matter.

Top 25 list
#3 The Blade Itself : In the third paragraph you say that you moved this to number 2 on the list, but it's at no. 3.
#4 Lord of the Rings - similar issue. In the next to last paragraph you say that you put it at #5, but it's still ranked #4.

Best Series List
#44 Monarchies of God - the description under it is not of this series, but of Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn (at least part of it is).
#62 The Traitor Son Cycle, #68 Alex Versus - description is missing alltogehter

Top 100 list
#32 Lord of the Silver Bow - description also missing

Best Fantasy since 2010
#14 Throne of the Crescent Moon - description also missing

So far I only read part of the new top 25 list and glanced through several of the others. I'll post more if I'll find any other issues.

Last edited:

ofer

Oh, and @Derk of Derkholm I'm working with ie10 and I don't see any of the issues you mentioned. Must be browser-related - some sort or incompatibility with different sorts of text.

It might be related to the problem you raised on another thread:
Not exactly fitting to this thread, excuse my misappropriation. The new forum theme looks great (judging from the starting page), but it seems I now can no longer connect. Of course this might be due to a number of factors, me being in China where internet connection can be a hit-and-miss-thing, many more people using the forum, or simply much traffic.
Seems I canno longer open even a thread that I still have the link to, the browser goes on loading and loading.
Using Tapatalk to answer to a random thread, to see whether this appears on the forum. Is anybody else having similar issues, or is it just my own, isolated problem?
Regards,
Andy
I don't have any of the problems you mentioned, and although I access this site/forum from several sources, none of them are state of the art new gadgets. One of them is even a 6 year-old overheating piece of junk laptop :)

Last edited:

Alucard

Staff member
I'll bet it's maddening to run spell-check on fantasy book titles! I'd start ignoring all the squiggly red underlines, too...
Well we can help with that :)

Homepage loads really slow for me too. I'm using Chrome, latest version.
My speed, there shouldn't be any problem with that.
It is quite a heavy page I understand that, but it still loads a bit too slow.

Great Work! and Discworld finally made it into the top 25! :)
I know right! I was supper excited for Geralt of Rivia and Anton Gorodetsky making an appearance :D

Alucard

Staff member
http://www.bestfantasybooks.com/best-anti-hero-fantasy-books.html
In the main description:
So even if the anti-hero breaks commits crimes to accomplish a means, we often still root for him by virtue of the underdog quality.

#5, #7, #10, #14, #15, #16, #18
The font of the description is bigger to the rest of the entries.
#8 Heroes die
And the star of the show, Caine, is the high priest of violent __what?__ (high priest of violence maybe?)–a broken, brutal assassin who kills for the entertainment of millions.
#9 Black sun rising
For a truly evil anti-hero, read the Cold Fire trilogy. Geralt (I think you mean Tarrant?) is a human who’s literally traded his soul for eternal unlife, yet still has a twisted sense of honor that somehow makes sense. There are a couple of other main characters, but Tarrant is by far the most interesting of the bunch and perhaps one of the most interesting characters I’ve yet read.
#17 The Witcher
Dark, troubled, and deep, the Witcher books follow the journey of Gerald of Riva ( Should be Geralt of Rivia), a Witcher (Dark, troubled and deep should apply to Geralt I think as character. Saying that a character is dark, troubled and deep is fine. Saying books are dark, troubled and deep sounds weird. Especially troubled books. Hmm.)

Just wanted to say thank you very much for this list especially. I'll enjoy picking these books.

Derk of Derkholm

It might be related to the problem you raised on another thread:
No, that one was most likely due to my Internet access in the hotel this morning (China Internet access). Will try again this evening.

BUT ... is the forum unusually quiet today? Normally, IIRC, there are many more threads coming up with updates than today...

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
The home page takes a ridiculously long time to load up for me too - and it has crashed my IE once.

The '' best of Tolkien Clones' and the 'Best of Dresden Clones' links just take me to empty-ish pages. As does the 'best fantasy books for children' link.