New BestFantasyBooks site (Post any Bugs or Punctuation/Spelling Errors here)

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
It is also really hard now to view the site on my mobile (I use a Samsung S5) whereas it was never an issue before.

(Edit- just the main site - the forum is still fine to view)

btkong

Journeyed there and back again
Staff member
Thanks for the feedback guys, keep it coming. I'll go through the fixes tonight.

Re Mobile, yes I know, it's not mobile friendly. Yet. I need to get the coders to make either a mobile version or code up a responsive skin for it. I should have had them do that over a year ago, but I opted to make a special mobile version of the site. However, it's taken until now to actually get the regular site finished. I'll see what can be done though over the next couple months.

Homepage loading. I'm going to see what I can do to optimize this and remove a few of the loading widgets to fix.

The comment issue mentioned should be mostly fixed now

ofer

BUT ... is the forum unusually quiet today? Normally, IIRC, there are many more threads coming up with updates than today...
Yes, but I guess most poeple are checking out the new lists. Anyway if it's possible, I'd recommend upgrading IE8 to IE10 or IE11, or possibly installing Chrome or Mozilla. Should fix a lot of problems - IE8 was out more then 6 years ago.
The '' best of Tolkien Clones' and the 'Best of Dresden Clones' links just take me to empty-ish pages. As does the 'best fantasy books for children' link.
Re-checked and those three worked just fine for me. Maybe your system is tired from all that twitting? ;) Try them again and if they don't load try hitting refresh or clean your browsing history.

More issues:
Top 25 fantasy list:
#16 (Lawrance), # 20 (Leiber) - multiple problem with missing commas - i.e hes instead of he's, theres instead of there's.
# 18 (Bennet) - several places where spaces are needed - e.g thatblends instead of that blends, jacksonbennet instead of jackson bennet.
#23 (Gemmel) - first two paragraphs are in a different font than the others.

Another technical issue - pressing the link to the best sci-fi movies page leads to the best sci-fi books instead.

Last edited:

Boreas

Staff member
@btkong, I can see from all the comments what a lot of work you've put into updating the site, so great job and thanks for the effort! Unfortunately, I had trouble accessing the main site, which is where I usually go to before getting onto the forums section. It took nearly 30 seconds of loading before Chrome asked me if I wanted to kill the unresponsive page or wait. I clicked on wait and after another 20 seconds I was asked the same thing about killing the page or waiting. I refreshed the page, that was taking too long, so I just added the '/forums' ending on the url address to get access to the boards.

Edit: It seems the main site seems to have loaded while I was checking out the boards and I can now take a look at the lists. It just took a long time.

Last edited:

btkong

Staff member
Hi, yes, my server could be a bit overloaded, but also the homepage doesn't seem to be friendly with IE at all. And there's a LOT of information being loaded on the homepage which requires loading time. Too much from what I see. I'm going to look to see what I can cut out, some of the sidebar items, less lists, etc. I'm also going to move it to cloudflare which implements some speed optimizations which may help a lot.

For the mobile, the design is simply too complicated to easily convert to a responsive design (you know, where you make the view screen smaller or larger and exact same website adapts to fit). This is unfortunate. Basically what i means is I have to get a mobile version of the site made which will serve an alternative version of the site for your mobile devices, stripped down of all the fancy features (no listiverse stuff, just the actual lists). I'm going to get this done. But it might take a few weeks.

Ben

Derk of Derkholm

Another thing ... when I open either the Top 25 or the Top 100 list, my IE freezes for quite some time, then I get a pop-up that a script running causes the system to be slow, and whether I want to stop that ... Only then it continues.

btkong

Staff member
Ok, I've gotten halfway done with the list of error's you guys have given me to fix. Keep em coming if you see them!

I've gone ahead and temporarily disabled the Listiverse widget section at the very bottom of the homepage. That section is what was slowing everything down to a crawl on the homepage. I'm going to rethink what I can do with that as I spent quite a bit of money and time working on just that section to link the homepage to the Listiverse. Maybe I can get it to load when you click on a button above it so it doesn't hammer the loading of the pages at the start.

I've also moved the site to Cloudflare which is basically a special service that has servers around the world. It basically caches the site all around the world on different servers and when you connect to the site from your location, the closest server in your location will load the site rather than a single distributed center.

Basically, the homepage loading issue should be fixed and the site + lists should load quite a bit faster in a couple hours when Cloudflare is fully activated.

I'll continue with bug fixes tomorrow.

Derk of Derkholm

Just a rethorical question ... you don't think that a total of 89 "Best xxx Books" lists on the home page is taking it a bit too far?

kenubrion

Awesome guys, keep pointing out grammar/typos, bugs. I'll run through this list at the end of the day and fix everything.

Yes, I'm having an issue with the new site loading the disqus comments on each list. They either seem to load the same comments for every list or non at all. Working on it.
Thank you Ben for making the best site on the net even better. I'm always amazed at the huge amount of info and the high quality of the site and your essays/comments/reviews, and the priceless cross-referencing. I keep recommending the site over at Amazon's forums.

btkong

Staff member
Thanks guys. It's been a lot of work the past year, but hey, I'm glad people are finding it useful. Makes it worth it.

Now for the forum update to the newest version, figuring out what to do with these credits, updating the blog layout to a new one, updating the listiverse to a proper layout that looks good. Arrrrggg, it's not over!

And I've worked through all the corrections you guys have given so far here, so if you see anything else, let me know here.

@Derk of Derkholm : Yes, it's a choice between making it a very simple sidebar or tossing everything on. I find it makes it easier for people to spot a list of interest by having 20-30 lists in the sidebar, rather than going the minimal route. But do let me know if it's confusing to navigate as I can change things around a bit if people do find it so.

Last edited: