New Fantasy Lists!

Discussion in 'Fantasy' started by btkong, May 30, 2017.

1. btkong

btkong Journeyed there and back again Staff Member

On a spree of adding new lists to the site and updating some of the old ones! So LOTS of new content being added and coming down the pipe.

BRAND NEW BEST LISTS

Top 50 Coming of Age Fantasy Books (NEW)
    Best Assassin Fantasy Books (NEW)
    Best Heroic Fantasy Books (NEW)
    Best Gritty Fantasy Books (NEW)
    Best Fantasy Books of 2017 So Far (New)
    Best LitRPG Books (New)

UPDATED LISTS

Best Vampire Books (Updated / New)

UPCOMING NEW LISTS

Best Fantasy with a Strong Heroine (new)
    Best High Fantasy Books (new)
    Best Fantasy Movies (new)
    Best Fantasy TV Shows (new)
    Best Graphic Novels (new)
    Best Comic Books (new)
    Best Fantasy Anime Shows (new)
    Best Fantasy Video Games (new)
    Best RPG Games (new)
    Best Story-Driven Games (new)

UPCOMING LIST UPDATES

Best Grimdark Fantasy
    Best Fantasy Books
    Best Fantasy Series
    Best StandAlone Fantasy
    Best Epic Fantasy Books
    Best Steampunk Fantasy
    Best Urban Fantasy
    Best Military Fantasy

2. Darwin

Darwin Journeyed there and back again

When I try fantasy with strong heroin I just fall asleep.

Ty for the new lists!

3. Alucard

Alucard In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge! Staff Member

lol
    maybe try fantasy with a strong heroine next time

4. TomTB

TomTB The Master Tweeter Staff Member

I haven't opened up the best fantasy games list yet, but if Skyrim ain't top, well .. you're fired!

5. Theophania

Theophania Hired Nicomo Cosca, famed soldier of fortune

Does anyone else always read 'RPG' as 'rocket-propelled grenade'?"

6. Matticus Primal

Matticus Primal Journeyed there and back again

No, but BFG is always Big F-ing Gun to me.

7. btkong

@TomTB Skyrim will be up there, though I'm a Witcher 3 sort of man myself!

8. ExTended

ExTended Hired Nicomo Cosca, famed soldier of fortune

I am not sure that I can stand behind a coming of an age list where The Wheel of Time and Harry Potter aren't at least in the top three places, but well, tastes could vary a lot I guess.

I was very happy about the gritty list though - it's quite useful.

And hopefully Kings of the Wyld by Nicholas Eames and The Bear and the Nightingale by Katherine Arden would grace the 2017 Best Books list, because solid debut novels like the ones in question are in much more dire need of attention than the household names. :)

9. Silvion Night

Silvion Night Sir Readalot Staff Member

Nice additions Ben! I'm particularly interested in the new Gritty Fantasy list, as that genre really appeals to me.

10. kenubrion

kenubrion Journeyed there and back again

I spent my entire evening last night going through those new lists. After all, that's why I came here in the first place. Very excellent work, Ben, and thank you!

11. ABatch

ABatch Ran bridges next to Kaladin

Have you tried Best Served Cold?

12. ABatch

Who do I have to &^%$ to make somebody's list? ;)

13. TomTB

TomTB The Master Tweeter Staff Member

Bend over @btkong !!
    :D

Seriously though Ben, you really should get around to reading the Immortal Treachery series. The majority of us who have done absolutely adore it!

14. btkong

I had a ton of commissioned book reviews I, unfortunately, took on over a year ago. I ended up having to slog through 10 or so indie fantasy books that had me cancel the entire service (most of the books were brutal reads). This also had the effect of tying up all my 'review' time as it were.

I finished the last of those about a month ago. So I do have a bit of time. I usually only review audiobooks these days, since I'm extremely busy with about 10 different projects and it's the only way I consume books these days.

However, I'll devote some spare time though to read Allan's book so I can consider it for the lists.

@ABatch send me your book (you have my email) and I'll read it!

15. ABatch

Very kind of you, sir! What format would you like?

Allan

16. Darth Tater

Darth Tater Journeyed there and back again

I cannot speak for Ben, but I've always felt like if I were him I would be stuck between rock and a hard place. How can he show favoritism and read one members book and not another? How could he admit to reading a book when it doesn't float his boat? He puts his heart and soul into this site and would never compromise the integrity by showing favoritism. I just feel for the guy. Again, that is just how I see it and I'm playing devils advocate. I could be way off.

I've heard almost all positive comments about Immortal Treachery from people here. A couple of "meh's. I assume if anyone didn't like it they would not be so insensitive as to say so publicly. (I haven't seen comments on any other authors books). I respect most of the opinions here. Most do not put on rah rah teenage girl cheerleader skirts.I feel for A Batch (and I always wish him the best...in fact although I haven't read the book (other than a chapter) I often try to think of ways to help him get recognition). A B is a positive contribitor to the forum but so is X, Y, and Z. Honestly, if I were Ben I would just say "I haven't had the time". Which in his case I'm not doubting that he is telling the truth. I'm sure he is wiser than I am and has a solution. I just feel for the guy and at the same time for the contributing authors here.

17. ABatch

Good and valid points. And I certainly don't want anyone to read it under duress. Nor do I think I deserve special treatment.

Interestingly enough, I just got a 2-star rating from another Ben on Goodreads. Not everyone's a fan. It comes with the territory. An author's/actor's/musician's/artist's work should stand on its own merits.

18. Darth Tater

The thing is, we need to find a way to get you in with Amazon. To get on the Kindle daily deals. Especially on the ones for one day and not a month because those become lost sometimes I think. Other than using unscrupulous methods, which I'm sure is way below you, you almost have to know someone. Maybe schmooze that up. You should not have to do that but that might be the thing. If you could establish a relationship with someone there. you know, ask them questions, email back-and-forth.

You may need to raise the price of your book. They cannot very well put it on sale when it is only $1.99 or a buck regular price. As you said, reviews mean a whole lot. You have the quality but not the quantity.

Anyhow, I did not mean to imply in any way shape or form that you were asking for special treatment. I just was looking at it from Ben's perspective. Or what I thought his perspective might be. It sounds like you've done everything right, and that your product is really good, but nowadays there is so much out there that people don't know what is actually good. Without that boost from Amazon I cannot come up with anything. Maybe people who read your book here can write to Amazon. Tell them about the forum and sign a petition or something. They could write individually over a period of time but I think it could get lost in the shuffle. Amazon is all about making money. If they think they can make some money off of your book they will do what they can. But I really think Alan that you need to raise the price. I hope this is not bad advice.

19. ABatch

Actually, Kenubrion talked me into raising the price a while ago. They're all now 4.99 apiece. I think some may be put off by the formatting, which I hope to change a bit this summer. Others don't like that it jumps, Steven Erikson-style, right into the story without exposition. That's something I won't change, however. I just like it that way.

Well, I did try the Mark Lawrence contest last year -- got bounced immediately. These things happen. But what I would like to know is how I stack up against previous winners. As for Amazon, I can't even get on the Sponsored Products list, and they won't tell me why. Whatever. I'm not going anywhere.

20. Darth Tater

If it were me, I would go$7.99. That way people think they're getting a good deal and Amazon is more likely to showcase it in my opinion. I think it was $1.99 before so even if you only sell 25% of the books at that price you will be making the same amount I think.

They are not going to sponsor your product if they cannot mark it down I think. They will not give you an answer because they are not going to admit that even if it is good they don't care if they can't make money on it. I am not claiming to know a lot about this, and it is just my opinion, but I think that is what I would do if it were me.

Personally, if I saw a book for 4.99 marked down to o $1.99 I would be less likely to buy it than a book that was $7.99 originally..

Last edited: Jun 2, 2017