NEW Lord of the Rings Book "Fall of Gondolin" (and TV Show)

rudyjuly2

Journeyed there and back again
A new LOTR book releasing in August. I get the feeling that everyone is trying to cash in on GOT - TV and book wise and I wonder how the LOTR stuff will do.
https://www.theguardian.com/books/2...-new-jrr-tolkien-book-to-be-published-in-2018

Not only a new book but Amazon paid $250M for the rights along for a TV show and they have to produce that show for 5 seasons! Very expensive. Most shows don't last 5 seasons although Amazon's owner is the definition of deep pockets. With an alleged budget of $1 Billion dollars this show better be good. I hope it's successful and I hope Wheel of Time is too.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/l...v-series-landed-at-amazon-not-netflix-1099213

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
Awesome. I will definitely read this book.

ExTended

Hired Nicomo Cosca, famed soldier of fortune
LOTR spin-off with Amazon, HBO Game of Thrones spin-offs, Wheel of Time TV series, Kingkiller Chronicles TV series and feature films, Stormlight Archives and Mistborn movie series, The Witcher TV series and Red Rising feature films are all reportedly at some stage of development.

Hopefully at least half of them would make it out. And hopefully at least one of those won't suck big time. My bet is on the LOTR spin offs to be produced first, mostly because Amazon is the most desperate in their need for something epicly succesfful.

Bierschneeman

Journeyed there and back again
LOTR spin-off with Amazon, HBO Game of Thrones spin-offs, Wheel of Time TV series, Kingkiller Chronicles TV series and feature films, Stormlight Archives and Mistborn movie series, The Witcher TV series and Red Rising feature films are all reportedly at some stage of development.

Hopefully at least half of them would make it out. And hopefully at least one of those won't suck big time. My bet is on the LOTR spin offs to be produced first, mostly because Amazon is the most desperate in their need for something epicly succesfful.
on that amazon point..
really? did Them exclusively streaming Vikings, and doing Man in the High Castle not work out?

I am hoinestly asking I don't know how successful they were

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
on that amazon point..
really? did Them exclusively streaming Vikings, and doing Man in the High Castle not work out?

I believe both were quite successful actually.

ExTended

Hired Nicomo Cosca, famed soldier of fortune
on that amazon point..

It's mostly that they want to be taken seriously as a content producing studio as well, but they've never managed to establish themselves as such with a string of immensely successful shows, so now they are opting for something with proven history and a huge following that would certainly get them on the map of public attention. Basically they've paid their way out of the hindrances they've had with other shows, the only question mark being whether or not they'd be able to deliver a quality enough product to warrant the move.

It's a branding thing - they need the credibility that comes from pulling such a thing off. Both with the general public and with the filming industry.