New to the genre need some recommendations

jaks6888

Possibly a Darkfriend
Hi everyone.

I just joined the forum as I am looking for a fantastic fantasy or sci fi series to get my teeth into.

A little background to start.
I have never been much of a reader, my interests always seemed to lie with Video games or films/TV.

Ever frequently I have found myself getting into reading and into audio books.

What I have read recently.

Rendezvous with Rama.
Enders Game.
Fahrenheit 451
The Painted man
John dies in the end.
This book is full of spiders
Watchmen

I have recently fallen in love with the Game of Thrones TV series which is what sparked my desire to get stuck into an epic fantasy tale on similar proportions. I have never read the books so I am sticking with the TV series no matter how hard it is not to read into the next chapter when they leave it on a cliff hanger.

What would you recommend?

Thank you for reading

moonspawn

Journeyed there and back again
The number one series I always recommend to people is the Mistborn trilogy by Brandon Sanderson. The writing is smooth and easy to read and the magic system is considered the most unique in the genre. Then after that I recommend The Way of Kings by the same author which is the first book of a ten book series called the Stormlight Archives. The second book is due for release in November. Everything that a great novel should be is what The Way of Kings is. It's my favorite book and had me in tears by the end. Welcome to the forums by the way.

Sir Arthur

I would go ahead and read A Song of Ice and Fire, the show is not much more than an overview. I'll be the first to suggest Joe Abercrombie's The First Law trilogy.

I agree with Moonspawn 100%.

Antoxx

Three plugs for same unknown book on different threads. Either it is very good or poster has a relationship with the author. Nobody's averse to promoting new books and authors but if there is any relationship then it should be disclosed. There's also a Fantasy Authors thread for books to be promoted if that is the case.

Zarien

Knows how to pronounce Kvothe
Apologies it's both. I'm a friend of the author but the book is also very good. I'm as avid a fantasy reader as anyone and I would never suggest something I didn't think was good as well. His reviews have been almost all 5 stars so far and the book was released only a week ago but its already in the top 50 for epic fantasy kindle ebooks, top 50 for sword and sworcery, and top 100 for epic fantasy books section period. So I do have a relationship, but I was also suggesting a very good book by a very good new author. I also didn't see the fantasy authors thread at first, my bad.

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
Apologies it's both. I'm a friend of the author but the book is also very good. I'm as avid a fantasy reader as anyone and I would never suggest something I didn't think was good as well. His reviews have been almost all 5 stars so far and the book was released only a week ago but its already in the top 50 for epic fantasy kindle ebooks, top 50 for sword and sworcery, and top 100 for epic fantasy books section period. So I do have a relationship, but I was also suggesting a very good book by a very good new author. I also didn't see the fantasy authors thread at first, my bad.
I checked out the reviews. Most of them are only 2-3 lines and very few of the reviewers have reviewed any other items. These are sure signs that the reviews are from friends and family. Voting patterns on the reviews confirm this (i.e., the same friends and family who wrote the reviews then upvoted all the positive reviews). Amazon regularly takes down "friends and family" reviews, when alerted to them. There was quite a large purge at the end of last year; got written up in the New York Times, among other media outlets.

Sorry, but I think I'll pass.

Derk of Derkholm

I have borrowed it under the Amazon prime program ... so let me give it a look.
The first few pages certainly do look better than other free fantasy books I have looked at on Amazon that were pushed on this here forum...

Best regards,
Andy

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
I have borrowed it under the Amazon prime program ... so let me give it a look.
The first few pages certainly do look better than other free fantasy books I have looked at on Amazon that were pushed on this here forum...

Best regards,
Andy
Honest opinions from impartial parties are always appreciated!

Have thought about joining Prime but (1) I have no money and (2) pretty much everything (and by that, I mean cat food, which is the only thing I'm ordering these days) gets to me in 2-3 days with free super saver shipping, anyway.

Sandra

Possibly a Darkfriend
Sounds like you'd enjoy the book I started reading last week. I got it as a free promotion on Kindle and it's really good - "The Innkeeper's Son (The Harven Legacy)" by Jeremy Brooks.
It's about a young man whose whole life has been a lie. His family has protected his identity since infancy from an evil lord who basically rules the world. It has all the fantasy goods- good love story, magic, evil, creatures. It's been the most engrossing book I've read in awhile.

Zarien

Sounds like you'd enjoy the book I started reading last week. I got it as a free promotion on Kindle and it's really good - "The Innkeeper's Son (The Harven Legacy)" by Jeremy Brooks.
It's about a young man whose whole life has been a lie. His family has protected his identity since infancy from an evil lord who basically rules the world. It has all the fantasy goods- good love story, magic, evil, creatures. It's been the most engrossing book I've read in awhile.

I was just looking at that innkeeper's son book and wondering about whether I should buy it or not. Maybe I will now that you pointed it out. Also, if you all haven't read Mageborn: The Blacksmiths Son, I just finished it last night and it was actually pretty good. I couldn't put the book down and now I'm in trouble because I have to buy the sequels >_>.

Sandra

Possibly a Darkfriend
I was just looking at that innkeeper's son book and wondering about whether I should buy it or not. Maybe I will now that you pointed it out. Also, if you all haven't read Mageborn: The Blacksmiths Son, I just finished it last night and it was actually pretty good. I couldn't put the book down and now I'm in trouble because I have to buy the sequels >_>.
Too funny. That is, your comment is too coincidental - I was literally just looking at Mageborn yesterday on Kindle, wondering if I should buy it to read after I finish this book. So now I must buy Mageborn.

Zarien

i feel like i am caught in the sticky tendrils of self publishing webs of intrigue /throws arms around
Lol, I read so much that I get suckered into buying all of the cheaper self-published 2.99 and below books on amazon for my kindle. I had put off reading mageborn, but because I needed a break from the death gate cycle series I picked it up. Now i'm on book 2 already :(.

blitzburns4

Owns a Ring of Power
Hello and welcome to the forums.

My best advice is to start small. It's easy to get overwhelmed with huge fantasy series and lose interest completely. (Especially when you are new.) That happened to me until fairly recently. I pumped through A Song of Ice and Fire by George Martin and read a few other series (Namely, Mistborn by Sanderson and The Chronicles of Amber by Roger Zelanzy) before I completely lost interest in reading for a good six months. My book shelf is filled to the rim with books I bought during my reading fervor that I never got around to reading. (For example, I purchased all ten Erikson books in an Ebay snipe that I still have yet to read.)

Right now, I'm easing my way back into Fantasy. I got back into reading after pumping through a few Victorian classics before progressing to Epic Poetry, (Fantasy's precursor.) which brought me back to fantasy itself. I'm easing my way back directly into fantasy through a personal favorite writer of mine, Eric Nylund. He's most famously known for his Halo books...but his earlier novels are actually pretty damn good. Pawn's Dream, A Game of Universe, and Mortal Coils are all really good books. I read each book in a single sitting.