New to the genre need some recommendations

Antoxx

Journeyed there and back again
Hello and welcome to the forums.

My best advice is to start small. It's easy to get overwhelmed with huge fantasy series and lose interest completely. (Especially when you are new.) That happened to me until fairly recently. I pumped through A Song of Ice and Fire by George Martin and read a few other series (Namely, Mistborn by Sanderson and The Chronicles of Amber by Roger Zelanzy) before I completely lost interest in reading for a good six months. My book shelf is filled to the rim with books I bought during my reading fervor that I never got around to reading. (For example, I purchased all ten Erikson books in an Ebay snipe that I still have yet to read.)

Right now, I'm easing my way back into Fantasy. I got back into reading after pumping through a few Victorian classics before progressing to Epic Poetry, (Fantasy's precursor.) which brought me back to fantasy itself. I'm easing my way back directly into fantasy through a personal favorite writer of mine, Eric Nylund. He's most famously known for his Halo books...but his earlier novels are actually pretty damn good. Pawn's Dream, A Game of Universe, and Mortal Coils are all really good books. I read each book in a single sitting.
Good advice bb4. I know what you mean around going out on a buying frenzy as I have something like 2 years of reading to be done on my bookshelf. I blame Jon Snow as he alerted me to a deal that was too good to pass up that we went halves in. That all should mean that I don't buy any more books, but do you think I can help myslef? No chance.

moonspawn

About a year ago I was reading Malazan, book of the fallen, A Song of Ice and Fire, and Mistborn all at the same time. I think I might have been reading the Dresden Files too.... I don't know, but for a while I was reading 3-5 books at once. I can handle 3 books, but 5 is a little much. Which is why for now I'm keeping it at 2 and a maximum of 3 if I'm feeling dead as my mood indicates.

Antoxx

About a year ago I was reading Malazan, book of the fallen, A Song of Ice and Fire, and Mistborn all at the same time. I think I might have been reading the Dresden Files too.... I don't know, but for a while I was reading 3-5 books at once. I can handle 3 books, but 5 is a little much. Which is why for now I'm keeping it at 2 and a maximum of 3 if I'm feeling dead as my mood indicates.
I try to keep it to 2 unless I have a bunch of related stories, which don't necessarily follow on from each other such as Elric or Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser which I'm happy to pick up and put down whenever without disrupting the flow. No way. Could handle 5!

moonspawn

I have to admit it was tough. Between Song of Ice and Malazan I got some stuff mixed up in-between the two. It was an experiment..... so yeah don't try it unless the books are really easy to read.

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm a one book at a time kinda guy. Can manage two series at the same time, currently doing malazan and dresden, but it's strictly one book at a time; finish one, start the next!

Antoxx

I'm a one book at a time kinda guy. Can manage two series at the same time, currently doing malazan and dresden, but it's strictly one book at a time; finish one, start the next!
Oh, most definitely. The only time I break that rule is if I have to travel and think I'll finish off a book as I don't want to carry two books and definitely don't want to have nothing to read. That's where e-books would come in handy I suppose.

Amaryllis

I am, by technicality, a many books at once kind of person, though I usually only read two at any given time. One that I'm interested in, and one that I 'should' read, and they get divided based on what I'm doing. The 'boring' one is the 'nothing better to do' moments book, the other I am reading for pleasure and will probably make time for (and if it's THAT good, it tends to blot the other one out altogether).

However, I'm various lengths through with a number of books, and I still consider myself as in the middle of reading them, because I do not like to declare defeat.

Antoxx

I am, by technicality, a many books at once kind of person, though I usually only read two at any given time. One that I'm interested in, and one that I 'should' read, and they get divided based on what I'm doing. The 'boring' one is the 'nothing better to do' moments book, the other I am reading for pleasure and will probably make time for (and if it's THAT good, it tends to blot the other one out altogether).

However, I'm various lengths through with a number of books, and I still consider myself as in the middle of reading them, because I do not like to declare defeat.
Actually, you just made me think a bit more on this. I used to have one non-fiction book on the go (usually a finance book or travelogue) at the same time as I had a fiction (fantasy) book on the go. They were so radically different that there was no chance of confusing the two. But probably for the last 18 months or so I've been reading exclusively fantasy and hence only had the one on the go at any point in time.

I hate admitting defeat too. I haven't stopped midway through a book yet, but I certainly have stopped midway through a series.

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
I'm a one book at a time kinda guy.
Me too. Well, except that I'm not a guy.

I rarely read nonfiction these days. Puts me right to sleep. (Actually, many things put me right to sleep. I probably need to start getting to bed earlier.) I've never been the type of person to read something because I think I *should.* I figure, there's so much fun stuff to read, why force myself to slog through something I don't find all that enjoyable? Though perhaps this is a reaction to 6 years of graduate school, where I was reading academic papers all the time, and then close to a year of work at a patent law firm, where I am reading patents all the time. Sometimes I like to put a little distance between work and play, so to speak.

Amaryllis

Even on this site you have people saying you should read series' you don't like up to a certain point so you can get a 'fair' assessment of the series, while they endlessly extoll its virtues. While I think the idea of that is kind of silly (e.g. if you thought Book One was ass, you shouldn't move on to Book Two, because whyyyyy), you still end up feeling like you're missing out on something amazing since people bring it up approximately every single instance they even suspect the words 'epic' 'amazing' 'fantastic' etc. being used. It's a pretty common thing actually, not just here, and sometimes I cave in to it.

Derk of Derkholm

Amaryllis, while I agree with you , I have to say that I most likely would not have pulled through with the dresden files after reading the first book had it not been for the strong support on this here and other forums. And the second book was noticeably better and really got me into the mood. (Hmm, maybe I should try the second Malazan book, as well, even though the first one did not thrill me too much...)

Best regards,
Andy

moonspawn

I rarely read nonfiction these days. Puts me right to sleep. (Actually, many things put me right to sleep. I probably need to start getting to bed earlier.) I've never been the type of person to read something because I think I *should.* I figure, there's so much fun stuff to read, why force myself to slog through something I don't find all that enjoyable? Though perhaps this is a reaction to 6 years of graduate school, where I was reading academic papers all the time, and then close to a year of work at a patent law firm, where I am reading patents all the time. Sometimes I like to put a little distance between work and play, so to speak.
As readers we decide what we should and shouldn't read. Some popular books end up on my "too read" lists, but I honestly don't care what's popular or what was popular or about classics. Most of the classics they made me read in school put me right to sleep (Catcher in the Rye, Lord of the flies, Hemingway, etc) so I've been holding back on reading some old books that are considered really great that I've decided I should read such as Starship Troopers and Gone with the Wind. I do my research and read what looks interesting to me. I also often find myself dissatisfied with popular fiction. I didn't even like the Hunger Games and I think Vince Flynn is grossly overrated.