November 2015 - What fantasy book are you reading?

Ryan W. Mueller

Journeyed there and back again
Well, that's a surprising opinion to find here. Mind you, I share it, but this series doesn't seem to be well regarded by most members that have read it, especially not the latter books in this series.

It's still one of my favorites though. I especially liked Alan's story arc.
You can count me as a fan of the series, too. It has its weak points (mainly slow pacing), but the world and characters are so well-drawn that I don't mind the slow pacing as much as I usually would. In that way, it reminds me of The Wheel of Time. Because I'd fallen in love with the characters and the overall plot, I was willing to put up with a slower pace.

fbones24

I just started reading "The Red Knight" by Miles Cameron and I have not been sucked into a book like this in some time. Already enthralled by what's happening in the beginnings of this book.

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
Resembles ? Camorr is medieval Venice ! :D

Enjoyed this a lot too, and look forward to your reviews of the sequels. :)
I guess you could say it's a rather exact copy, were it not for the Elderglass buildings , alchemical constructs, maleficent sorcerers and lurking sea monsters. But then again, I've never been to Venice so I'm not sure about that.

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
Oh, didn't Venice have them also ? LOL :D
Well the water in the canals in Venice is pretty nasty. Who knows what is lurking beneath?

Khartun

OK, finished up John Gwynne's Ruin last night. It is another great installment in the series.

The first 150 pages or so start off slow and there is way too much of him reminding us who the characters are and what they did in previous books. I'm generally not a huge fan of that, especially when there is a very good Cast of Characters section in the front of the book. I'd rather them do something like a prologue that just reiterates what happened in the previous books in one quick, succinct section then moves on.

However, after that everything get moving along nicely. There are some nice reveals in this book and the ending is great. I can't wait for the final book.

Next up, Return of the Black Company and I'll go right to Many Deaths of the Black Company after that.

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
OK, finished up John Gwynne's Ruin last night. It is another great installment in the series.

The first 150 pages or so start off slow and there is way too much of him reminding us who the characters are and what they did in previous books. I'm generally not a huge fan of that, especially when there is a very good Cast of Characters section in the front of the book. I'd rather them do something like a prologue that just reiterates what happened in the previous books in one quick, succinct section then moves on.

However, after that everything get moving along nicely. There are some nice reveals in this book and the ending is great. I can't wait for the final book.

Next up, Return of the Black Company and I'll go right to Many Deaths of the Black Company after that.
Glad to hear it. Stuck in the early part of this one (Ruin). I don't hate it, but it is pretty slow. And I haven't had much time to read lately.

kenubrion

Thanks for the report on Ruin, Khartun. At 792 pages, looks like Gwynne had some room for the recap, which I'm glad he did. Can't remember much.

I've just finished the best free book I've ever read. It's called New World and it's a frontier fantasy, of all things. Quite unique with a fresh voice and take on the fantasy genre. Exciting, heartwarming, fun for the whole family.

http://bestfantasybooks.com/forums/...y-book-are-you-reading.2498/page-3#post-49383

Khartun

Thanks for the report on Ruin, Khartun. At 792 pages, looks like Gwynne had some room for the recap, which I'm glad he did. Can't remember much.

I've just finished the best free book I've ever read. It's called New World and it's a frontier fantasy, of all things. Quite unique with a fresh voice and take on the fantasy genre. Exciting, heartwarming, fun for the whole family.

http://bestfantasybooks.com/forums/...y-book-are-you-reading.2498/page-3#post-49383
It is actually closer to 740. There are a couple of first chapters from other books at the ends that count in the page count.

I have actually had that New World book on my phone for a while now. I'm glad to hear it is good.

l3gacy

Dr. Awesomesauce
Staff member
I am still sort of listening to Midnight Tides. I don't know what it is, everyone says this is the book that hooks them and they love it, but to me it's boring as fuck and I can't get into it. I'm a little over a fifth of the way through it.

So, secondarily, my copy of Wheel of Time companion got delivered a couple days back and I've been flipping through that. It's in the format of an encyclopedia so it's not really a book to just start on page 1 and read it, so I'm flitting around a bit. It's making me want to reread wheel of time, though, so I might actually do that.

SuperDuper

Knows how to pronounce Kvothe
I just started reading "The Red Knight" by Miles Cameron and I have not been sucked into a book like this in some time. Already enthralled by what's happening in the beginnings of this book.
Yep I've been reading this one too and its pretty good and I'm also getting into some more books that are more old wyrd and fae and stuff like that lol. Tis the witching season ;)

Khartun

I am still sort of listening to Midnight Tides. I don't know what it is, everyone says this is the book that hooks them and they love it, but to me it's boring as fuck and I can't get into it. I'm a little over a fifth of the way through it.

So, secondarily, my copy of Wheel of Time companion got delivered a couple days back and I've been flipping through that. It's in the format of an encyclopedia so it's not really a book to just start on page 1 and read it, so I'm flitting around a bit. It's making me want to reread wheel of time, though, so I might actually do that.
It definitely starts slow but gets very good, IMO.

I've always said I would do a reread of Malazan and I've wondered about buying it on Audible. It seems to me that my mind would wander too much to catch all the little stuff that Malazan has. I'm going to try GotM and see how it works.

ofer

So, I got bored with life so I jumped on a plain and right now I'm writing this post from the beautiful - albeit very rainy at the moment - town of Boquete, Panama. Anyway, I've been in Panama for about 10 days and so far I've managed to finish Half a King by Joe Abercrombie. I liked it a lot, although I admit that I preferred the First Law books to it.

This is the first time I took my Kindle to one of my travel sprees and god, it's awesome. No more looking for English bookshops which usually contain, at best, books by Ken Follet. I've got some 20 unread books on it which should probably be enough for the few months I plan to stay in Central America. And if I'll run out - well, I can always re-read Malazan. :)

Right, got to go. It just stopped raining so I'll grab dinner before going whitewater rafting tomorrow. Not all places I go to have wi-fi so will be in touch when I can. Hope you're all having fun.

Bridgefour

Hung out on a briar with Honorable Jorg
I just finished retribution falls (ketty jay #1) after seeing several people mention the series in these forums. Thanks for mentioning it! I absolutely loved it!
Admittedly, the first third of the book was a bit difficult to get through simply because all of the characters appeal to be very flawed people who are all having the worst time of their lives. Somewhat depressing. We also don't know any of the back stories in detail at this point. However, it quickly picks up and all of the characters begin to grow on you as the story progresses and you learn more about them.
After such a gloomy start, I started to not only like most of the characters but also started slightly grinning at the wit of this excellent author. Perhaps partly because the start was so dreary, when things begin to look up I found myself overjoyed and thoroughly encapsulated; I finished the last 2/3 in one night. When I started chapter 21 I actually was uncontrollably chuckling.
All in all excellent, 4.7/5, and definitely my favorite sci fi after red rising (even though the book is very much fantasy imo).

The only thing I'm upset about is that the second in the series is 11.99 on ebook format -_-

Kalavan

Finished Lloyd's Moon's Artifice, kind of a mix between sword & sorcery and a detective novel.
For the first half of the book I was convinced that I've discovered an under-appreciated gem: interesting, although not particularly exciting, characters; an apparently complex world building, especially the deep social system, and several decent action scenes.
Unfortunately the pace slows down considerably in the middle part, and the dramatic conclusion is quite unsatisfactory.
Anyway a more than decent book, I'm surely going to read the sequel, at least to see how Narin's affair ends - the only loose ends, the book is intended as a stand-alone.

Now reading Staveley's The Emperor's Blades

Last edited:

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
I just finished retribution falls (ketty jay #1) after seeing several people mention the series in these forums. Thanks for mentioning it! I absolutely loved it!
Admittedly, the first third of the book was a bit difficult to get through simply because all of the characters appeal to be very flawed people who are all having the worst time of their lives. Somewhat depressing. We also don't know any of the back stories in detail at this point. However, it quickly picks up and all of the characters begin to grow on you as the story progresses and you learn more about them.
After such a gloomy start, I started to not only like most of the characters but also started slightly grinning at the wit of this excellent author. Perhaps partly because the start was so dreary, when things begin to look up I found myself overjoyed and thoroughly encapsulated; I finished the last 2/3 in one night. When I started chapter 21 I actually was uncontrollably chuckling.
All in all excellent, 4.7/5, and definitely my favorite sci fi after red rising (even though the book is very much fantasy imo).

The only thing I'm upset about is that the second in the series is 11.99 on ebook format -_-
That is a lot for an ebook, but rest assured that the series gets better and better with each instalment. If you found parts of Retribution Falls funny, just wait until you reach the scenes involving Slag and Hawkins in The Black Lung Captain. Truly hilarious :)

Darwin

I'm about half done with book six in WoT. This is definitely where it starts to go downhill.
Nothing interesting has happened yet. In the previous book, Lanfear, Asmodean, Moghedien, and Rahvin were captured, killed, or sent to an alternate plane of existence. Both the female protagonists and Rand now have the guidance of captive Forsaken, Rand can travel, Coumadin is dead, etc. All of the major plot lines that actually influence the last battle have happened, other than stuff involving the Seanchan and the Black Tower. How did it take 9 more books after book 5 to wrap this up!?