November 2015 - What fantasy book are you reading?

Derk of Derkholm

Journeyed there and back again
Have started "The Weavers of Saramyr", the first book in the "Braided Path" trilogy by Chris Wooding (him of Ketty Jay fame).

I requested the free Kindle Sample and started with an open mind, and it was definitely interesting enough to buy the complete book (the complete omnibus, even).

Kalavan

After a couple of unsatysfying italian crime novels, I've finally decided to start Cameron's The Red Knight. I don't know why, but I was convinced that it was a quite short book, which is definitely not the case, so I'm probably going to add to it some novellas, probably Polansky's The Builders (Redwall mices' Wild Bunch seems an amazing pitch for a story)

mizztara71

Mixes poisons and sharpens knives with Kylar
I'm currently reading The Emperor's Blades (Chronicles of the Unhewn Throne book 1) by Brian Staveley. It's pretty good
but the pacing so far is slow. I'm at 56% right now.

Bridgefour

Hung out on a briar with Honorable Jorg
Haven't done much other than read the last week, on holidays
Finished:
The Fell Sword by Miles Cameron- better than the first as the POVs did not jump around as rapidly, but still not a fan of the magic. Strong characterization continues, especially Nita Qwan and Gabriel. Will read the third eventually. 8/10
The Iron Jackal by Chris Wooding - top notch series, love pretty much every single character. Makes me laugh out loud.
9/10
The Crimson Campaign - better than the first, but still lacking in depth. 7/10

Continuing to listen to Price of Valor, starting either Heroes Die or Ace of Skulls, whichever arrives first

Danica

Queen of the boards!
Staff member
Prince of Fools is dragging. It was laugh out loud funny at the start but the hints of the tragic past of Snorri and their beginning friendship isn't enough to captivate me. I feel like I'm broken, I haven't been able to get into fantasy for months! :( I could cry

E_F

Is a wondrous friend of modest Kruppe
Just finished "The Great Hunt" by Robert Jordan. Starting to get into the world Robert created. Wheel Of Time is better than expected. 7/10

Onwards to "The Dragon Reborn"!

ReguIa

Haven't been able to get any further into The Name of the Wind for the past few days. It's not that it's bad, it's just...well, I can't find the book:shifty:

dunebuggy

Knows the real name of Lower Corte
Almost done with the black magician trilogy,entertaining but it does seem like a filler between reads. Its lacking something,not sure what it is

ReguIa

Its lacking something,not sure what it is
I read it a few years ago and that's exactly how I would describe it. I would have liked a bigger scope and more worldbuilding. The characters were good though, they were the strongest part about that series.

Derk of Derkholm

Have started "The Weavers of Saramyr", the first book in the "Braided Path" trilogy by Chris Wooding (him of Ketty Jay fame).

I requested the free Kindle Sample and started with an open mind, and it was definitely interesting enough to buy the complete book (the complete omnibus, even).
I will hopefully be able to provide a more detailed review at some point in time, but this book is really growing on me.
I must say that it is one of these books I seldom encounter that I have a really hard time to put down, as I want to know what comes next...

GreyMouser

I've been too busy to post lately but I did finally finish Queen of Fire which I would rate a 7.5 out of 10. I felt like the story really slowed down at some point in the second book and never really picked up the pace after that. I did like the overall story but I prefer the action page turner fantasy books.

I started Steel, Blood & Fire by our friend Alan Batchelder yesterday. I'm loving it so far.

l3gacy

Dr. Awesomesauce
Staff member
Just finished "The Great Hunt" by Robert Jordan. Starting to get into the world Robert created. Wheel Of Time is better than expected. 7/10

Onwards to "The Dragon Reborn"!
I've just started this on my reread. never thought i would want to reread but i am. enjoy!

Last edited:

Jakyro

I'm struggling my way through Heroes Die. Not that I'm not liking the book, I love it, but I'm struggling to find some time reading it. Ever since I have a new job, I don't have as much time reading. I used to read when commuting, but as my new job is only 10 minutes from where I live, I don't read the amount I used to.

I started it 10 days ago and I'm only halfway through. Two months ago I would have Finished it already by now :(

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member
I'm going through A Feast for Crows. I've been reading it for ages, but with LotR and other books, it's been always on the back-burner. But now with this pace I should finish it by the middle of the weak. I really enjoy Martin's writing. AFfC isn't very eventful as previous 3 books were, but his writing style just works for me, I enjoy reading it no matter the slow plot development.

I'm 15% into Swanwick book atm, and it's ok. It reads kind of like an older book..I don't know why, but I'm getting this feeling like it was written in the 80s or something. Anyway, the humour is there, but it's kind of....I don't know what's the word for it...a bit on the dry side. I don't know, haven't really reached any judgment with it yet. I'll get back to it when I finish ASOIAF #4.

Fantam

....I'm struggling to find some time reading....Ever since I have a new job, I don't have as much time reading. I used to read when commuting, but as my new job is only 10 minutes from where I live, I don't read the amount I used to....
Congrats on finding a new job ! :) Now all you need to do is move somewhere further away, so that you will have more time to read when you commute. :D

kenubrion

I'm struggling my way through Heroes Die. Not that I'm not liking the book, I love it, but I'm struggling to find some time reading it. Ever since I have a new job, I don't have as much time reading. I used to read when commuting, but as my new job is only 10 minutes from where I live, I don't read the amount I used to.

I started it 10 days ago and I'm only halfway through. Two months ago I would have Finished it already by now :(
It's OK Jakyro, when you're done you'll miss it so slow is good, savor it. I found the second book just as good so you've got that to look forward to. It doesn't wrap up until the end of book 2.

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
I finished the Republic of Thieves by Scott Lynch (#3 of the Gentleman Bastards sequence). I gave the first book in the series a 9 and the second installment an 8.2. This latest release will get a similar grade. Here's why:

The book is just as well written as the first two books. The two most interesting characters, Locke and Jean, are this time around complemented by Sabetha, the only lady Gentleman Bastard. She's an interesting and fun-to-read character, on a par with the male protagonists. The banter between the Gentleman Bastards is the high-mark of this book (as it is in the rest of the series).

The book has two story-lines and in this it follows the line of the first two books of the series. One story-line takes place in the present. Locke and Jean travel to Karthain on a mission to win the local election (more fun than it sounds, I promise). Their opponent in the election is no one other than Sabetha, Locke's mysterious lady-love (if she would have heard me call her that, she's have kicked my teeth in by the way). The battle between the two factions in the election is very fun to read about. Bonds-mage magic is set against Right People legerdemain. Of course, nothing is what it seems. What looked like an election of a city council, is actually just a part of a bigger power struggle between parties of Bonds-magi. These powerful creatures are able to crush normal people like cockroaches. Will the Gentleman Bastards survive this clash of titans or will they perish as mere colatoral damage?

The second part of the story is played out in the past. The fledgling Gentleman Bastards, including the Stanza twins, travel abroad to Espara to participate in a play. A play? Yes, as part of their thief-training they are setting out to act is a Shakespeare-like drama 'the Republic of Thieves'. Like in the main storyline, nothing is as it seems, as the youngsters are soon ditched into a game of life and death.

To conclude, this books has everything that made the first two installments so awesome. Great characters, witty banter, cheeky legerdemain and slight-of-hand and fast paced action. Oh, and some of the best cursing I've ever come across. Seriously, Black Company and Bridgeburners, eat your heart out!!!

This book get's a rating of 8.0.