Pat Rothfuss' The Kingkiller Chronicle [spoilers] - the rambling review of an undecided reader

Bill Door

Told lies with Locke
I honestly don't get what people find so great about this series. I read the first two books and I found them massively overrated. His prose is top notch, but his hero is just so unlikable (everything just falls into his lap) and the story just goes nowhere. It just meanders around. If he actually finishes it then okay I'll read it, but I could care less either way.

Last edited:

Maark Abbott

Journeyed there and back again
I honestly don't get what people find so great about this series. I read the first two books and I found them massively overrated. His prose is top notch, but his hero is just so unlikable (everything just falls into his lap) and the story just goes nowhere. It just meanders around. If he actually finishes it then okay I'll read it, but I could care less either way.
I still don't get why his prose is so vaunted, to be honest. I'd describe it as serviceable at best.

Darth Tater

I still don't get why his prose is so vaunted, to be honest. I'd describe it as serviceable at best.
I don’t know. Pat packs a bundle into the fewest words possible. For example “Martin isn’t your bitch”. He expresses emotion, power,,philosophy, and attitude while also providing us with a temporal frame of reference. Then again, “WE ain't your bitches” may have been a bit more succinct. But the great writers simultaneously leave room for analysis. Hemingway’s tip of the iceberg (or theory of omission)... ;)

Maark Abbott

I don’t know. Pat packs a bundle into the fewest words possible. For example “Martin isn’t your bitch”. He expresses emotion, power,,philosophy, and attitude while also providing us with a temporal frame of reference. Then again, “WE ain't your bitches” may have been a bit more succinct. But the great writers simultaneously leave room for analysis. Hemingway’s tip of the iceberg (or theory of omission)... ;)
That phrase doesn't express any power or philosophy. Emotion, maybe, but it comes over as whiney. And the only attitude there is one that seeks to hide behind Martin as an excuse for not finishing something that has apparently been done for more than a decade.

Serviceable, and nothing more.

Darth Tater

That phrase doesn't express any power or philosophy. Emotion, maybe, but it comes over as whiney. And the only attitude there is one that seeks to hide behind Martin as an excuse for not finishing something that has apparently been done for more than a decade.

Serviceable, and nothing more.
Errmm..you DO know that was expressed with tongue firmly implanted in cheek, right? I’ve expresed my views on Rothfuss several times in this thread. I certainly don’t buy into anything he says.

Maark Abbott

Errmm..you DO know that was expressed with tongue firmly implanted in cheek, right? I’ve expresed my views on Rothfuss several times in this thread. I certainly don’t buy into anything he says.
You gotta bear with me any time I post as I usually do it with a huge caffeine deficit. My bad.

Valiarde

Killed in the battle against the Mad King
While I did like his prose (he did a great job on describing the music scenes and stuff like that) the world really came to life for me, the story was indeed a bit too unfocused for me. Two big books and the "danger" is still far away and so much time spent on training and little adventures. While I appreciate books that aren't just action action action, this one was a bit too tame for my likings. It would make a good start for a mega series with 10 books. But for 3 or max 4 books...no