Pat Rothfuss' The Kingkiller Chronicle [spoilers] - the rambling review of an undecided reader

afa

Journeyed there and back again
I remember some years ago there was this whole discussion about "Rothfuss doesn't owe anyone anything". He was defended in this by Sanderson (if I remember correctly he wrote a substantial blog post about it called 'Rothfuss is not your b*tch').
I think perhaps you are mixing Sanderson up with Neil Gaiman. Gaiman wrote a blog post about GRRM and said, "George R. R. Martin isn't your bitch." What's hilarious is that he wrote this way back in 2008 or 2009 when fans were complaining about Book 5, which was eventually published in 2011, and it has now been another 9 years and there is no Book 6. I wonder if Gaiman is still quite as enthusiastic about defending him (or Rothfuss).

Back then already a lot of people felt that indeed, yes: he did owe his readers (and his publisher/editor) something. There was this magnificent promise about a trilogy, which indeed he claimed was already totally finished when the first book was released! Fans have been waiting with blue balls ever since. I now regret having read the first 2 books altogether to be honest, especially so because I -and millions with me- made the guy rich as can be.
I'm in the camp that he does owe his fans. Not because of the money he made, but simply because this is supposed to be a trilogy. When you proclaim that you are writing a trilogy, there is an implied promise that if you, the reader, would invest in his world, you would not only enjoy and be entertained by what he has just written, but that you would get a satisfactory conclusion to the story. People buy Book 1 of a trilogy thinking they will then get a Book 2 (which they did) and then a Book 3. But doesn't look like they're getting that third book. That, to me, is akin to a scam.

A lot of people defend him by denying this, and saying there is no "promise." To them I say: if Rothfuss or his publisher were to have said back in 2007 that fans would have to wait until 2011 for the sequel, and that there would be no concluding Book 3 until at least 2020 - a full 13 years after the first book - would the fans still have bought his book? Maybe a few, but certainly not 10 million+ of them.

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
I think perhaps you are mixing Sanderson up with Neil Gaiman. Gaiman wrote a blog post about GRRM and said, "George R. R. Martin isn't your bitch." What's hilarious is that he wrote this way back in 2008 or 2009 when fans were complaining about Book 5, which was eventually published in 2011, and it has now been another 9 years and there is no Book 6. I wonder if Gaiman is still quite as enthusiastic about defending him (or Rothfuss).
Yes, that's right! Got it twisted around. Thanks for clarifying. Still illustrates the overall point nicely though.

I'm in the camp that he does owe his fans. Not because of the money he made, but simply because this is supposed to be a trilogy. When you proclaim that you are writing a trilogy, there is an implied promise that if you, the reader, would invest in his world, you would not only enjoy and be entertained by what he has just written, but that you would get a satisfactory conclusion to the story. People buy Book 1 of a trilogy thinking they will then get a Book 2 (which they did) and then a Book 3. But doesn't look like they're getting that third book. That, to me, is akin to a scam.

A lot of people defend him by denying this, and saying there is no "promise." To them I say: if Rothfuss or his publisher were to have said back in 2007 that fans would have to wait until 2011 for the sequel, and that there would be no concluding Book 3 until at least 2020 - a full 13 years after the first book - would the fans still have bought his book? Maybe a few, but certainly not 10 million+ of them.
Fully agree with this. It is an implied promise at the least. Oh well, no amount of ranting and raving will get the book here... I'm done with it though. Never thought the books were the masterpieces some people made them out to be (see my original review) to begin with. I even tossed out the first 2 books some years ago, back when I realised we'd never see a third book and gave his fans his obnoxious attitude.

Darwin

Journeyed there and back again
They (GRRM and Rothfuss both) don't owe us anything, but we don't owe them anything either. We're not obliged to be fans, to recommend their books to others, or to spend another cent on their future work. We're not obliged to hide our annoyance at them. We're free to request updates and to ask questions with whatever wording we choose. We're free to complain about them in public forums. We're free to continue doing all the behavior that Gaiman criticizes.