Pat Rothfuss' The Kingkiller Chronicle [spoilers] - the rambling review of an undecided reader

Discussion in 'Fantasy' started by Silvion Night, Sep 30, 2015.

1. Darwin

Darwin Journeyed there and back again

@afa Thank you for posting that, it was very illuminating. The question the interviewer asked that led to the second response you quoted was
    So...looks like we're going to be having another "Finish the series before you die!"

Another noteworthy quote from the interview, perhaps a hint at things to come:
    And I LOVE this exchange:
    And this one:

2. Silvion Night

Silvion Night Sir Readalot Staff Member

Thanks for posting the link to that interview afa. Very interesting read. I can't for the life of me figure out why book 3 hasn't been released ages ago if the books were practically finished by the time he gave that interview.

He's either revising time and time again or he wasn't entirely truthful.

3. Darwin

Darwin Journeyed there and back again

Or on any given week he's doing everything but work on his novel.

4. afa

afa Journeyed there and back again

Yes, the interview was good. I've read/heard a couple of other interviews with him, and the guy is definitely an interesting person to talk to. Seems to be smart, knowledgeable, and opinionated enough that he won't just give diplomatic answers. (Like his answer to the "Fantasy as literature" question that @Darwin quoted.) I just wish I liked his books more.

Regarding his books - I don't know (and haven't checked) what he has ever said about the reason for the delay. But it looks like the guy is a perfectionist when it comes to writing, almost obsessive to his own detriment. I read another interview where he said that before he submitted The Slow Regard of Silent Things, he went through 80 drafts. Now that number is most likely hyperbole, but it nonetheless points to what seems to be his biggest weakness - he is not able to leave well enough alone, and keeps writing and rewriting and editing and re-editing, to the point where it is actually preventing him from finishing the damn thing.

5. Placida

Placida Owns a Ring of Power

You mean like GRR Martin? :confused:

• Like Like x 1
  6. ReguIa

ReguIa Journeyed there and back again

I don't get it. I mean if it's coming out anytime this year, or maybe next year. With all the waiting fans one might think Rothfuss would have said anything. Since he hasn't said anything at all it feels like that's because it's nowhere near to being complete yet.......

Feels like 2018-2019 or something tbh.

Which is completely insane when the last book came out 2011.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2016
  7. Sir Arthur

Sir Arthur Journeyed there and back again

Actually no. GRRM has an impressive body of work. He burned out/ bit off more than he could chew at the end. He shouldn't have tried to write something so long. Rothfuss tried to write one story, and seemingly dropped the ball.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. wakarimasen

wakarimasen Journeyed there and back again

I've written the first two books in a trilogy which were incredibly well received... by my wife.. who they were for... but she's asked for the third for christmas and I'm pretty much writing anything but the third installment as I can't think of a way not to dissappoint her somehow. That's what I reckon has happened with Rothfuss. The weight of expectation on the shoulders of a perfectionist has simply crushed him to a halt.

Just like Rothfuss me. Without the money. Or the recognition. Or the dedication and skill. Or a beard. NO chance of a beard here...

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. Valiarde

Valiarde Killed in the battle against the Mad King

"Audio-Reading" 2nd book right now. I'm only 20% into it though.

At the moment i don't like the pacing at all. It feels a bit boring right now, story is always around Denna, somewhere in a bar or at the library. Maybe this is done on purpose to lull the Reader before pacing and real action sets in...to have a contrast. But I feel he could shorten the book alreay a bit. Even when I like his prose and detailed description of common things.

As for Kvothe' arrogance...I think it is okay for me - he is Young and I often have Hayden Christensen in my mind when thinking of him in his Star Wars role of Young Darth Vader :D Growing up teens/men often act like that.

10. Darth Tater

Darth Tater Journeyed there and back again

I don't understand why so many believe Kvoth is an unreliable narrator

Yeah he plays his musical instrument well (all his people do...granted that's according to him). Yeah girls like him but he also tells how awkward he is. Never even sleeps with them so those aren't really war stories. He constantly speaks of getting his butt kicked. Hey, not everyone has a demon hanging around as a sidekick who worships you

11. jo zebedee

jo zebedee Journeyed there and back again

Because what Kote tells us in his point of view is so separate from Kvothe. One of them is lying.....

12. Silvion Night

Or... you are lying! o_O

• Like Like x 1
  13. ReguIa

Been almost a year since I read them but, I don't remember anything like that. What exactly did he say that is an obvious lie?

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. jo zebedee

jo zebedee Journeyed there and back again

It was the nuance of the character rather than anything said per se - Kvothe can do anything and is a Mary-Sue, Kote is (seemingly) powerless, world weary and far from perfection. That they are one and the same character (no spoiler, there, I think since it's revealed at the beginning?) Either the 'myth' of Kvothe is more than the man was (which leads down one story path) or Kote is hiding what he really is - to do that in first makes an unreliable narrator (although I'd argue all close narrators are unreliable but that's for another day). I'm looking forward to finding out which it is. :)

• Like Like x 1
  15. Valiarde

Valiarde Killed in the battle against the Mad King

The Wise Man's Fear

What does the book title refer to?

16. ReguIa

Well if he's lying about it or just making stuff up it would end up making the so far great story into a pile of horse shit.. IMO.

Hopefully it's just something traumatic or magically that ended up making him sort of ''lose faith'' and give up. Possibly getting handed it to him by the Chandrian or starting the end of the world or something, which I got the feeling was implied.

At first I was hoping he was only playing a part to lure the Chandrian or something. Something that would mean the story doesn't end before he comes to the Waystone. That would be a huge twist but sadly with only 1 book left and with the amount of backstory left, I don't see how Kvothe's story could be wrapped up and then continued in the present unless it's maybe 2000 pages long....

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2017
  17. Bierschneeman

Bierschneeman Journeyed there and back again

It should be a play on words for a biblical reference.
    " a wise man wins souls"
    Often used allegorical ly as "a/the wise mans soul"

But the allegory is so diluted from overuse in popular culture, the author could mean it as something else without knowing it's origin.

18. Silvion Night

Bierschneeman is right, but in the context of the story it in fact refers to a saying that is popular in the world in which the story takes place.

"There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man."

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Darth Tater

Darth Tater Journeyed there and back again

This is exactly what I was thinking!!

20. kenubrion

kenubrion Journeyed there and back again

I've thought from the beginning, with the same character reveal, that Kote was the growup world weary version who is now going to finish the job. The story telling will be finished and the present will present ;) the rest of the story. With so little accomplished though, it cannot be a trilogy. Unless it's this "Having finally graduated, Kvothe changed his name to Kote and started polishing glasses. The End. Suddenly the door flew open!" kinda crap.