Pat Rothfuss' The Kingkiller Chronicle [spoilers] - the rambling review of an undecided reader

Darth Tater

Journeyed there and back again
I read on the net that he has had some mental health issues over the years (depression). It could factor into him not finishing the series.
Well he wrote Auris story! , he was not too depressed for that one. i thought the guy who had those issues wrote Gentlemen Bastards?

Last edited:

ExTended

He was talking about this in a live Q&As YouTube interview a few months back.

There he admitted that he felt awful for not keeping his promise to his fans about editing and publishing the 2nd book in a year and needed to go to therapy for it, so that's why he isn't giving any information about the release day for the 3rd book - to avoid such kind of situation from happening again.

It's understandable how this would make sense from his point of view. But then comes the fact that he certainly over-frets over his books and the 6 years editing the 3rd draft was probably kind of an over-kill.

I've just accepted that this is how it's going to be with G. R. R. Matrin and Patrick Rothfuss. The guys are writing sluggards and that's it.

I am still feeling annoyed by them at times, but in the recent years I've come to the realization that whether I read 60 or 80 books per year, I can hardly cover the vast majority of readily-available or newly-published books, so whether or not those two guys are done with their books has become more of a bantering point that anything else. There is an abundance of quality book out there after all.

Darth Tater

Frustrations aside, when authors take a long time , even if they have a good reason, I am going to stay away from their series. There are too many good completed good series out there. I will start the expanse series because he knocks them off once a year and Stormlight because I already started it.

I will read the first book from the gentleman bastards but I do not plan on reading more than that. I could be wrong but I think I read that it goes downhill later. No matter. I heard the first book is really good and I will read that one.

ReguIa

I will read the first book from the gentleman bastards but I do not plan on reading more than that. I could be wrong but I think I read that it goes downhill later. No matter. I heard the first book is really good and I will read that one.
This series was pretty high on my TBR list but with the 2-3 different delays on the 4th book it's almost at the bottom now. Definitely want to read it someday, but I don't think it will be any time soon.

rudyjuly2

This on May 7th. F*cker.

https://www.tor.com/2018/03/07/patr...chronicle-prologue-the-doors-of-stone-book-3/

I will buy book 3 IF it ever comes out. I won’t buy anything else until the entire series is completed. To use Rothfuss’ own words against him “I’m not your bitch” either Patrick.
You can't write more books when you still haven't finished book 3! The first book came out in 2007. Second in 2011. The third book doesn't appear ready until 2019 at the earliest. Pat may be dead before he finishes another trilogy.

I know he's had depression and some authors take longer to write but I think this is an example where real deadlines are needed. Deadlines spur action in every area. I really hope he finishes this series soon.

Darth Tater

You can't write more books when you still haven't finished book 3! The first book came out in 2007. Second in 2011. The third book doesn't appear ready until 2019 at the earliest. Pat may be dead before he finishes another trilogy.

I know he's had depression and some authors take longer to write but I think this is an example where real deadlines are needed. Deadlines spur action in every area. I really hope he finishes this series soon.
As far as his “depression”, I’ve pointed out before that funny, he wasn’t too depressed to write “The Slow Regard Of Silent Things” during the time of his “illness”, so I call bullshit on him!

Last edited:

ExTended

Him talking or hinting about sequels is so laughable at this point, it isn't even funny. I bet George is planning a sequel 8 books series too. Maybe it';s in Temerant too. :) Game of Stones - the long awaited collaboration between Pat and George, the only two people who dare to tease fans, when they don't plan to publish anything for at least a decade. :)

ExTended

Ops, accidental double post.

Okay, I'd use the opportunity to repeat my theory how he keeps his 3rd book a hostage to either wait out until his movie/TV series is released, or to keep the interest in his Worldbuilders foundation strong. It's probably mostly the former, but I am sure the latter is also playing a role in his decision making process.

Last edited:

Khartun

He hasn't quite reached the level of D-Bag that GRRM has but he's getting there. I will never spend another dime on GRRM's stuff. At this point I'll still buy three when it comes out but I'm starting to not care about it either.

ReguIa

Don't know what to think of this. I thought the first 2 books were fantastic, and yea everyone wonders how he will wrap it up in just 1 more book. I'd be totally fine with Doors of Stone ending as a complete story about his past and how he got to where he's at in the present.

Future books can be about whatever's happening present day. Sounds great. New characters or Kvothe again but moving forwards this time, both would be interesting.

However like everyone else is saying this will probably never happen considering he's the worlds slowest writer.

Now his entire fanbase will have yet another story to wait decades for AGAIN.

jo zebedee

Except that Slow Regard was just about one of my favourite books ever and i might rather have 10 of it than 1 Doors of Stone. Auri was so well depicted in a way fragile mental health so rarely is.

Darth Tater

Except that Slow Regard was just about one of my favourite books ever and i might rather have 10 of it than 1 Doors of Stone. Auri was so well depicted in a way fragile mental health so rarely is.
Well maybe his fragile mental health depiction was so good that he decided he would try it out himself.

Martin is easily set for life and maybe Rothfuss too so boycotting their books won’t bother them financially but if people stopped buying their stuff it would crush their inflated egos. Ahhh. In a perfect world. ..

Last edited:

Cyphon

Him talking or hinting about sequels is so laughable at this point, it isn't even funny. I bet George is planning a sequel 8 books series too. Maybe it';s in Temerant too. :) Game of Stones - the long awaited collaboration between Pat and George, the only two people who dare to tease fans, when they don't plan to publish anything for at least a decade. :)
Well Martin does actually have more books planned in the Dunc & Egg series lol.

Peat

As far as his “depression”, I’ve pointed out before that funny, he wasn’t too depressed to write “The Slow Regard Of Silent Things” during the time of his “illness”, so I call bullshit on him!
Depression usually kills my desire/ability to write, but not always. And its not like its a solid monolithic 24/7 block - there's up days and down days and quite a lot can be done on the up days.

I don't know him or his situation so I can't be sure but there's nothing unusual about the idea. I doubt you'd be particularly happy if you had a dear one suffering and their boss started calling bullshit on them for similar reasons.

Personally, I prefer a generosity of spirit in these circs. I know some people are using it as cover, but sometimes its better to be a sucker than a cynic.

And being a sucker doesn't necessarily mean having to buy his books either! :p

Cyphon

Just to give him a little bit of the benefit of the doubt I would assume writing is sometimes like us as readers. There are moods and such where we might say "I have had enough of author x and his style for awhile" and we put a series aside to start something else. In this case maybe he just found it was really easy to write about someone as unique as Auri and a lot more difficult to fill in plot holes and storylines for the big book.

I think it is easy for me to forgive him because I just don't feel that invested in the series. Not that I didn't enjoy it and don't want to read it again but it has been so long that I remember almost nothing about them so I am not sitting around wondering what happens next. ASoIaF on the other hand.....I REALLY want to know the ending and what happens with all of the characters.

Darth Tater

He probably knows than in real life not milking a cow fully is bad for the cow, so poor George is doing his best to do justice to that proverbial cow of his.
Just shoot the freakin’ cow already. Too late. Instead bury the stinking rotten corpse. So stop standing behind people’s backs, pissing on their shoulders while telling them its raining. Curse: May a deranged holy man sneak up on you while you’re sleeping, cut your beard off, and sprinkle the shavings in your birthday cake batter.

Actually, I personally have no stake in Martin because I never read his books. So I will transfer the evil curse to Rothfuss. Although, no doubt he’ll cry PTSD from the incident and postpone the book three editing an additional five years.

Darth Tater

Just to give him a little bit of the benefit of the doubt I would assume writing is sometimes like us as readers. There are moods and such where we might say "I have had enough of author x and his style for awhile" and we put a series aside to start something else. In this case maybe he just found it was really easy to write about someone as unique as Auri and a lot more difficult to fill in plot holes and storylines for the big book.

I think it is easy for me to forgive him because I just don't feel that invested in the series. Not that I didn't enjoy it and don't want to read it again but it has been so long that I remember almost nothing about them so I am not sitting around wondering what happens next. ASoIaF on the other hand.....I REALLY want to know the ending and what happens with all of the characters.
I think if a writer sells you a book he has a duty to COMPLETE the story within a reasonable time. Make the series shorter if you’re feeling burned put. No. Then you lose out on the television revenue. It’s essentially a breach of contract with those who bought the earlier books with the reasonable expectation he wouldn’t quit in the middle.