Pat Rothfuss' The Kingkiller Chronicle [spoilers] - the rambling review of an undecided reader

Discussion in 'Fantasy' started by Silvion Night, Sep 30, 2015.

1. rudyjuly2

rudyjuly2 A Poet of the Khaiem

I read that about depression too. Hopefully he gets right and finishes the series!

2. Darth Tater

Darth Tater Journeyed there and back again

Well he wrote Auris story! , he was not too depressed for that one. i thought the guy who had those issues wrote Gentlemen Bastards?

Last edited: May 10, 2017
  3. ExTended

ExTended Hired Nicomo Cosca, famed soldier of fortune

He was talking about this in a live Q&As YouTube interview a few months back.

There he admitted that he felt awful for not keeping his promise to his fans about editing and publishing the 2nd book in a year and needed to go to therapy for it, so that's why he isn't giving any information about the release day for the 3rd book - to avoid such kind of situation from happening again.

It's understandable how this would make sense from his point of view. But then comes the fact that he certainly over-frets over his books and the 6 years editing the 3rd draft was probably kind of an over-kill.

I've just accepted that this is how it's going to be with G. R. R. Matrin and Patrick Rothfuss. The guys are writing sluggards and that's it.

I am still feeling annoyed by them at times, but in the recent years I've come to the realization that whether I read 60 or 80 books per year, I can hardly cover the vast majority of readily-available or newly-published books, so whether or not those two guys are done with their books has become more of a bantering point that anything else. There is an abundance of quality book out there after all.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Darth Tater

Darth Tater Journeyed there and back again

Frustrations aside, when authors take a long time , even if they have a good reason, I am going to stay away from their series. There are too many good completed good series out there. I will start the expanse series because he knocks them off once a year and Stormlight because I already started it.

I will read the first book from the gentleman bastards but I do not plan on reading more than that. I could be wrong but I think I read that it goes downhill later. No matter. I heard the first book is really good and I will read that one.

5. ReguIa

ReguIa Journeyed there and back again

This series was pretty high on my TBR list but with the 2-3 different delays on the 4th book it's almost at the bottom now. Definitely want to read it someday, but I don't think it will be any time soon.

• Like Like x 1