Pat Rothfuss' The Kingkiller Chronicle [spoilers] - the rambling review of an undecided reader

Discussion in 'Fantasy' started by Silvion Night, Sep 30, 2015.

1. rudyjuly2

rudyjuly2 A Poet of the Khaiem

I read that about depression too. Hopefully he gets right and finishes the series!

2. Darth Tater

Darth Tater Journeyed there and back again

Well he wrote Auris story! , he was not too depressed for that one. i thought the guy who had those issues wrote Gentlemen Bastards?

Last edited: May 10, 2017
  3. ExTended

ExTended Hired Nicomo Cosca, famed soldier of fortune

He was talking about this in a live Q&As YouTube interview a few months back.

There he admitted that he felt awful for not keeping his promise to his fans about editing and publishing the 2nd book in a year and needed to go to therapy for it, so that's why he isn't giving any information about the release day for the 3rd book - to avoid such kind of situation from happening again.

It's understandable how this would make sense from his point of view. But then comes the fact that he certainly over-frets over his books and the 6 years editing the 3rd draft was probably kind of an over-kill.

I've just accepted that this is how it's going to be with G. R. R. Matrin and Patrick Rothfuss. The guys are writing sluggards and that's it.

I am still feeling annoyed by them at times, but in the recent years I've come to the realization that whether I read 60 or 80 books per year, I can hardly cover the vast majority of readily-available or newly-published books, so whether or not those two guys are done with their books has become more of a bantering point that anything else. There is an abundance of quality book out there after all.

4. Darth Tater

Darth Tater Journeyed there and back again

Frustrations aside, when authors take a long time , even if they have a good reason, I am going to stay away from their series. There are too many good completed good series out there. I will start the expanse series because he knocks them off once a year and Stormlight because I already started it.

I will read the first book from the gentleman bastards but I do not plan on reading more than that. I could be wrong but I think I read that it goes downhill later. No matter. I heard the first book is really good and I will read that one.

5. ReguIa

ReguIa Journeyed there and back again

This series was pretty high on my TBR list but with the 2-3 different delays on the 4th book it's almost at the bottom now. Definitely want to read it someday, but I don't think it will be any time soon.