Permanent residents to your TBR thread

Discussion in 'Fiction (General)' started by Bierschneeman, Jun 16, 2017.

1. Bierschneeman

Bierschneeman Journeyed there and back again

I stole this from BSFB.
    boreas posted it.

What has been on your To be read list for seemingly forever, and never gets read.

Any genre.

2. Bierschneeman

Pasted and copied from my post on BSFB thread.

Most of my ridiculously large list (measured in 4 digits) is a decade or longer on there, so I will try and find the absolutely oldest.

L'morte d'arthur and the once and future king. Both have been there since 1992...thats 25 years.

Gone with the wind, been on my list since my mother was reading it. 23 years?

1984, 2001 a space Odyssey, and forever war. 20 years

War and peace. Despite being a huge fan of Leo Tolstoy and reading everything else he wrote, I still haven't read this one. 18 years or longer.

3. Bierschneeman

I reposted this because I started to read gone with the wind last nigbt.

4. Sneaky Burrito

Sneaky Burrito Crazy Cat Lady Staff Member

For years and years, for me, it was the final books of Thomas Covenant, Malazan (Erikson main sequence), and Wheel of Time. But I actually made a goal to finish those all last year and I did it.

I don't really keep a list, though. I've been pretty firmly entrenched in fantasy for the past 15 years or so, but prior to that, my tastes changed a lot and I would often just read whatever my aunt dropped off (she had a habit of binge-buying mass market paperbacks, reading them, then passing them off to my mom in large paper grocery sacks).

• Like Like x 1
  5. Alucard

Alucard In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge! Staff Member

Elric books by Moorcock. I had them for years and I never seem to pick them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Bierschneeman

I'm rereading them right now....as I write this

7. Tanniel

Tanniel Ran bridges next to Kaladin

I've never had the courage to get started with Russian literature, neither Dostoyevsky or Tolstoy. I've even owned Crime and Punishment for some 8-10 years. My girlfriend is a native Russian speaker though, so maybe that'll give me the push finally.

I also own the Aeneid, never pulled myself together to start that one, even though I've read Iliad and Odyssey.

Got a huge artbook about Venetian artists as a graduation present, that also sits unread for a few years now. I think those are my worst offenders.

8. Theophania

Theophania Ran bridges next to Kaladin

1992 was 25 years ago? Wow. How did that happen?

I spring-clean my Goodreads TBR list regularly, to get rid of stuff I realise I'm never going to read, so the oldest thing on that is Peace Talks, which I added in 2014.

Unfortunately, my catalogue at home doesn't give me that information - but Carol Berg's Bridge of D'Arnath books have been on there for years, and they were published in the mid-2000s.

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. Sneaky Burrito

Sneaky Burrito Crazy Cat Lady Staff Member

I really like Carol Berg. I should check and see what else she's put out in the past few years. I haven't been keeping up.

10. Theophania

Theophania Ran bridges next to Kaladin

11. Silvion Night

Silvion Night Sir Readalot Staff Member

I've got two books about football (one's a biography about Johan Cruijff and another one is a history about the golden years of the Ajax football club) lying on my bookshelves. They were both gifts from friends. Although I love playing and watching football I don't particularly feel the urge to read about it.