Pets

wakarimasen

Journeyed there and back again
Whilst I don't give a toss about GQ magazine, I did once see a copy in a staffroom which listed the top 10 dogs Real Men shouldn't be afraid to own. The breed of my beloved Archimedes who we lost last November was top of the list. He liked to chase fighter planes when the passed over on manoeuvres and the only thing he ever barked at was hot air balloons (they must be Evil. who knew?). Ladies and gentlemen... Archie the Afghan...
archie.jpg

As an aside, if you've never owned a dog before and someone tells you long haired dogs don't malt as much so that they can get their own way about what breed to get... they are lying. However, Afghans are fantastic dogs anyway so the mess is worth it...

d3.jpg

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
Whilst I don't give a toss about GQ magazine, I did once see a copy in a staffroom which listed the top 10 dogs Real Men shouldn't be afraid to own. The breed of my beloved Archimedes who we lost last November was top of the list. He liked to chase fighter planes when the passed over on manoeuvres and the only thing he ever barked at was hot air balloons (they must be Evil. who knew?). Ladies and gentlemen... Archie the Afghan...
View attachment 143

As an aside, if you've never owned a dog before and someone tells you long haired dogs don't malt as much so that they can get their own way about what breed to get... they are lying. However, Afghans are fantastic dogs anyway so the mess is worth it...

View attachment 144
I don't think I've ever seen an Afghan in person. Very pretty dog.

As far as shedding goes, you might think a Rottweiler, as a short-haired dog, wouldn't shed much. You'd be wrong. Nyx is my second Rottie and my carpet is once again FULL of short, black dog hairs. Nyx likes to chase military aircraft, as well (I live just south of an air reserve base so we see them frequently), but also birds and butterflies -- basically, anything that flies, no matter how big or how small.

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member
Just the little update on my little guy. I wasn't sure if he was a guy or not before, well now I definitly am. He's even gotten a name. Smoki (maybe in English you would pronounce it Smoky) which is short for smoking, which is how we say tuxedo in this part of the world :) It's pronounced differently to smoking cigarettes though. More like smo-king.

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
His eyes changed color!

Laura J Drake

Knows how to pronounce Kvothe
Just the little update on my little guy. I wasn't sure if he was a guy or not before, well now I definitly am. He's even gotten a name. Smoki (maybe in English you would pronounce it Smoky) which is short for smoking, which is how we say tuxedo in this part of the world :) It's pronounced differently to smoking cigarettes though. More like smo-king.

He's adorable. I really like the name play for a tuxedo cat :)

sopranosfan

From my experience males tend to be more affectionate. But get him neutered or he will mark his territory and it smells awful!

João Ribeiro

So now you have both a mouse and a cat on you desk!
Cute cat by the way.
I need to get an update photo of my dog. We had to cut his fur so now he is hilariously looking like a 30Kg grey mouse :D

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
I need to get an update photo of my dog. We had to cut his fur so now he is hilariously looking like a 30Kg grey mouse :D
Meanwhile, I am TRYING to shave Unicat but it seems no matter how much hair I take off, he looks exactly the same.

wakarimasen

Just thought I'd share with all you animal lovers... this is Bellanotte of Shimalma. That's her kennel name anyway. When we pick her up a week on Sunday she will become "Margo" (or possibly "Audrey") and be the newest member of our family. She's another Afghan Hound; as you can see the puppies don't look much like the adults. Very excited about getting her...
margo2.jpg

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
Just thought I'd share with all you animal lovers... this is Bellanotte of Shimalma. That's her kennel name anyway. When we pick her up a week on Sunday she will become "Margo" (or possibly "Audrey") and be the newest member of our family. She's another Afghan Hound; as you can see the puppies don't look much like the adults. Very excited about getting her...
View attachment 562
Aaw, she looks really sweet.

Nuomer1

OK, since this elderly thread has been revived - follow this:- http://www.planetnuome.co.uk/PersonalImages/Monsterteeth2.jpg. Sadly, The Monster is no longer with us, and a change of lifestyle means he is unlikely to be replaced - but he was real fun when he was around, particularly after I trained him to harness and built a 4-wheel cart big enough for my mother-in-law to sit in, and then ran (yes, ran!) him up and down some mounds of earth on our local river bank . . . . . fond memories!

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
OK, since this elderly thread has been revived - follow this:- http://www.planetnuome.co.uk/PersonalImages/Monsterteeth2.jpg. Sadly, The Monster is no longer with us, and a change of lifestyle means he is unlikely to be replaced - but he was real fun when he was around, particularly after I trained him to harness and built a 4-wheel cart big enough for my mother-in-law to sit in, and then ran (yes, ran!) him up and down some mounds of earth on our local river bank . . . . . fond memories!
Are those his real teeth or dentures?

Nuomer1

@Nuomer1 I always liked the idea of a newfoundland but was put off by tales of slobber getting *everywhere*
Ah! If I have correctly understood your message, you are not familiar with all the 'large/giant' breeds. When the Mrs and I wanted a dog (this was many years ago) we went around various large shows specifically searching for the largest dog we could find tat didn't have a major slobber problem. We rejected Newfies, with considerable regret, precisely because they did have the problem - many of them wearing bibs to queue up for the showring on a warm day! What we finished up with (I refer you back to the illustration!) was a Bernese Mountain Dog (they may go under slightly different names in other countries, and Americans generally go for a short-haired equivalent). At the time (early 1980s!) they often reached 8 or 9 stone (50-60Kg) but breeding has reduced the normal size somewhat since then. They do slobber a bit, but far less than other dogs of their size. They are soft, affectionate, strong and stupid. One of the breed guidebooks says they take instinctively to harness, and I found it more-or-less true (unlike our old GSD-cross, but that's another story)