Pets

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
Ah! If I have correctly understood your message, you are not familiar with all the 'large/giant' breeds. When the Mrs and I wanted a dog (this was many years ago) we went around various large shows specifically searching for the largest dog we could find tat didn't have a major slobber problem. We rejected Newfies, with considerable regret, precisely because they did have the problem - many of them wearing bibs to queue up for the showring on a warm day! What we finished up with (I refer you back to the illustration!) was a Bernese Mountain Dog (they may go under slightly different names in other countries, and Americans generally go for a short-haired equivalent). At the time (early 1980s!) they often reached 8 or 9 stone (50-60Kg) but breeding has reduced the normal size somewhat since then. They do slobber a bit, but far less than other dogs of their size. They are soft, affectionate, strong and stupid. One of the breed guidebooks says they take instinctively to harness, and I found it more-or-less true (unlike our old GSD-cross, but that's another story)
There are sometimes inconsistencies among dogs from the same breed when it comes to slobber.

My first Rottweiler didn't slobber. My second Rottweiler is nicknamed "Goober" for slobber-related reasons...

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
Recently went on vacation and upon my return back home... this sad case was on my doorstep...
View attachment 592 View attachment 593
... the pussy cat has apparently chosen its new home, because she won't leave!
She behaves more like a needy dog than a stray cat, but I'm going to take her in anyways.
She's got rugged fur, a bit like the lion in your avatar. Have you decided on a name yet?

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
I love finding cats on my doorstep! It's happened to me twice (including Unicat in the photo there, and Sneaky who gave me part of my username). I keep crossing my fingers it'll happen again -- haven't gotten a new cat since 2009.

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
I love finding cats on my doorstep! It's happened to me twice (including Unicat in the photo there, and Sneaky who gave me part of my username). I keep crossing my fingers it'll happen again -- haven't gotten a new cat since 2009.
I've got 1 female cat and 1 male cat, the male cat being the son of the female cat (see through what lengths I go to avoid using the word pussycat. Damn, now did it anyways).

As a present for my wife I had 2 stuffed animals made in the likeness of my 2 cats. She said these were the best gifts she had ever received (blatantly disregarding the engagement ring I gave her, but whatever).

How many cats do you have? Also: is it common just to "find" cats where you guys live? It has happened to me on quite a lot of occasions, but the owners can always be traced by use of their implanted chips.

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
I have four cats right now.

There are definitely some people who let their cats roam (usually against city ordinances). Sometimes several people will think these are their cats, and the cats are getting multiple meals a day so I'm sure they're not complaining.

But, I took both cats I found to the vet and had them scanned for microchips. One had a chip but his former owner had never registered it with her name/address so she could not be contacted. Turns out she was one of the neighbors -- she knocked on my door when she saw him in the window one day. But at that point, I'd spent over $500 in vet bills on him and she said I could keep him. The other one did not have a chip so I am not sure what her story is. She had been spayed so she was presumably someone's pet at one time. But she'd been outside for days and was infected with fleas and roundworms.

Of my other two cats (not "found"), one is from an animal shelter and the other was a kitten born to a feral mother (so found, but by someone else).

Sir Arthur

Journeyed there and back again
You crazy cat people! I have my dog trained to chase cats out my yard, and she's good at it. Although she's getting old. The other day, she jumped off the porch after a cat, and fell down. It was embarrassing.
I encourage her because the cats like to dig up plants in my garden, and shit in the holes. Also, Dora ( the dog) is the defender of birds and squirrels.

Sent from my flip phone

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
I have a dog too! She's not much of a threat, though. She's on medication to suppress her inflammatory bowel disease. Said medication has made her lose ~13 pounds of muscle mass. Which has in turn caused her to tear ligaments in both knees. She is a terribly-skinny Rottweiler who needs a ramp to go up three stairs.

Well, and she likes kitties.

Sparrow

I see a cat with a moustache. At SparrowHouse.

Jack Sparrow?

Edit - but she's a she ... so maybe not ...
:), not Jack Sparrow... though I liked the first Pirates of the Caribbean movie well enough.
When I was younger my nickname was 'Sparrow', on account I was once struck in the side of the head by a spooked sparrow while rock climbing.
A friend of mine has a computerized plasma cutter, and I just wanted a reason to make use of it so I decided to give my house a very pretentious name and then have it cut in metal... with the added benefit that if I crawl home really drunk, I know I'm at the right house.;)

Sparrow

Living in the big city I'm no stranger to stray cats... also, our courtyard of five homes is right next to a Chinese food restaurant, which is like Mecca for cats!
I've had strays come around before, but they wouldn't allow me to handle them or they were just too jumpy or too sick to consider keeping... and anyway, I've always thought I was a "dog person". But the truth is dogs do not seem to care much for me, and cats in their own swishy way seem to trust me.
At any rate, this one is going to the vet on Friday and hopefully things check out okay and I can keep the silly thing.:)

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
also, our courtyard of five homes is right next to a Chinese food restaurant, which is like Mecca for cats!
In what way?

rajwible

Helped Logen count his fingers
So, I've just discovered this thread and feel the need to introduce my fur-babies. Here goes..

Johnny, the tan one, is the oldest. He's the Big Boss of the house. Lucy, the black/brown one with the messed up eye, is a couple of weeks younger than John. She's stupid. Not in a bad way or anything. She's just...not a smart kitty. And then there is Jones, or Jonesy, the baby girl of the family. She's a mouthy little brat. They are all rescues. Well..John I purchased from an animal shelter. The other two were basically dead when I found them near my work. Lucy's eyes were swollen shut and infected. Jones was insanely malnourished. I figure that's why she stayed so small. Oh! And I guess I'll add in Jones' sister named Frankie, Frank, or Frankenstein. Also fondly called, by moi, Fat Frank or Poo-Face. I found her at work about two-ish weeks before I acquired Jones, also in poor condition. She lives with my mom and her three dogs.

Jack Sparrow?
Edit - but she's a she ... so maybe not ...
Nothing wrong with a she having a he name. Two of my female foundlings have male names.
In fact, my name is most commonly seen as a males name. :p Here in the States, at least. People always get it wrong.

Edit?: Woh, woh. Photos are broken.
Edit Edit?: Oh hey, look, I figured it out.

Last edited:

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
She's stupid. Not in a bad way or anything. She's just...not a smart kitty.
I have one like that. He's the one in my avatar picture right now. He's got the most beautiful fur. But he's just not all that bright.

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
In fact, my name is most commonly seen as a males name. :p Here in the States, at least. People always get it wrong.
To be fair though, Rajwible is not the easiest name. Nice cats by the way!

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
The dumpster in back of the restaurant, full of food scraps... and of course there's the rats, big rats like you see in horror movies.
Cats are very much attracted to that sort of place.
Aah, hahaha. I thought it was a joke about Chinese cuisine.