Philip Pullman new trilogy

Discussion in 'Fantasy' started by ReguIa, Feb 15, 2017.

1. ReguIa

ReguIa Journeyed there and back again

What do you guys think of that? If I read correctly it will be set both before and after His Dark Materials.

First book, "The book of Dust" is coming out on October 19 later this year.

I read the trilogy not even a year ago and absolutely loved it. So this is amazing news to me.

2. Anti_Quated

Anti_Quated Hired Nicomo Cosca, famed soldier of fortune

Loved HDM, but happy to leave it there. I'm not averse to revisiting the world, but a prequel/sequel 'equel' as PP described it... just not sure.

3. Alucard

Alucard In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge! Staff Member

4. Andrew.J

Andrew.J Hired Nicomo Cosca, famed soldier of fortune

I've wanted to reread His Dark Materials for a while now, so this is a great excuse to do just that. There are also quite a few short stories set in the same world that I want to get to as well before reading the sequel. Looking forward to the book!

5. ReguIa

ReguIa Journeyed there and back again

Indeed. The trilogy was so good that it's both amazing that he's going back to it, and at the same time you keep thinking what if it's not as good.

6. TomTB

TomTB The Master Tweeter Staff Member

I feel the same way to an extent about Tad Williams returning back to his Memory Sorrow Thorn world. The first trilogy was so good, I don't want to see it spoilt by a mediocre follow up. The Star Wars affect, if you like ..

7. Darth Tater

Darth Tater Journeyed there and back again

I WANTED to like His Dark Materials and THOUGHT I would like His Dark Materials but after reading The Golden Compass I had no desire to continue.

I know a lot of (religious) people complained about it because it was the polar opposite of Narnia but that actually was a selling point for me. Regardless, I still felt someone was preaching to me whether it was to love the church or hate it made no difference.

I know there were adult themes both on the surface and below but it still felt like a kids book to me. Regardless of whether the watch actually cooks and eats Hansel and Gretel. A dark fairy tale, if you will. Something about a little kid being the main character. Not my cup of tea. I didn't hate it. Just thought it was "decent". I loved Ocean At The End Of The Lane so go figure.

But I'm happy for the fans of the series who are looking forward to the next trilogy!

8. Silvion Night

Silvion Night Sir Readalot Staff Member

That typo just made me laugh out loud. Can't get the picture out of my head of my old Casio watch devouring a couple of German kids.

9. Darth Tater

Darth Tater Journeyed there and back again

TIME to eat!

(Sorry)

10. Bierschneeman

Bierschneeman Journeyed there and back again

I'm reminded of spiny Norman the giant killer hedgehog from monty python, and the old horror movie where little Tribble looking things were eating people by (among other things) disguising themselves as tupees. Attack of the killer tomatoes, killer clowns from outer space.

And of course back to gangs of keep left signs, and killer cars in another monty python sketch.

11. Darwin

Darwin Journeyed there and back again

I probably won't revisit this world. I read his books when I was a kid, and I don't remember them very well, but I know they didn't capture my imagination the way most everything else in the genre did at that time.

12. chongjasmine

chongjasmine Got in a fistfight with Dresden

I like his dark materials although I don't like how religion is portrayed in the books.

13. Sparrow

Sparrow Journeyed there and back again

The Golden Compass- Excellent
    The Subtle Knife- Excellenter
    The Amber Spyglass- Train wreck

14. Alucard

Alucard In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge! Staff Member

15. Sparrow

How so?.. that God is a prick?

16. Sparrow

Been away, been in trouble, back out of trouble again.

Nice to see you're still here!;)