Post one hit wonders

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member
Last edited:

Alucard

Staff member
I only heard Kim Wilde's song before. The other two are brand new to me. 'I ran' is pretty cool. Thanks Khartun and keep them up.
Bierschneeman please post the actual songs in the thread. If you just list them, nobody's gonna go look for it lol

I remembered one more. Brit band, mid 90s. The video is epilepsy inducing. But the singer is gorgeous.

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
I'm sure I'll think of a good one to post in a bit.

But if you live in Atlanta and listen to classic rock on the radio, you'd think EVERY band was a one-hit wonder. Because seriously, they play like the same Tom Petty (or substitute The Who or the Rolling Stones or Led Zeppelin or Aerosmith) song over and over and over again. God forbid they ever play Jimi Hendrix or Janis Joplin.

TomTB

The Master Tweeter
Staff member
I only heard Kim Wilde's song before. The other two are brand new to me. 'I ran' is pretty cool. Thanks Khartun and keep them up.
Bierschneeman please post the actual songs in the thread. If you just list them, nobody's gonna go look for it lol

I remembered one more. Brit band, mid 90s. The video is epilepsy inducing. But the singer is gorgeous.

I loved Republica in the early/mid-1990s .. them and Echobelly, two great female fronted 'Britpop' bands! Republica had quite a few hits, but this is the one they're definitely remembered for, so guess it fits as a one hit wonder :)

Khartun

Journeyed there and back again

Won't let me play that video in the US. Here is another video for it:

I remember that song from Vegas Vacation.

Alucard

Staff member
Republica had quite a few hits, but this is the one they're definitely remembered for, so guess it fits as a one hit wonder
I grew up listening MTV and VH1 and while it's true that Republica had few hits in UK after this one, they never really made it quite so big in US and rest of the world after Ready to Go.

I can't believe @Alucard hadn't heard of I Ran before.
Yup, guess I came a little too late :)

Here's one more everyone probably knows. Back in '82...

And one I have not known what it means for an embarrassingly long time when I was a kid lol
'90s

TomTB

The Master Tweeter
Staff member
Ahhh .. Dexy's Midnight Runners ... the soundtrack to just about every school disco I went to between about 1985 and 1995! :)

Bierschneeman

I guess it depends on where you grew up and what you listened to at that time. I can't believe @Alucard hadn't heard of I Ran before. I can think of 5-6 hits Tesla had.
I think more so we need a definition of one hit wonder, which means we need to define a "hit".

The most readily available and veeifiable definition is one of commercial success. This is easily tracked by number of sales, appearence on charts, number of plays, or requests. Both "signs" and "love song" meet these requirements with gusto, both reaching top ten in various charts and sales numbers. But not a single other song by TESla even satisfies just one of those parameters.

There's another definition, just popularity, this is not definable, verifiable , or countable, and it could apply to any number of one hit wonders based on personal opinion invalidating anyones application of the title one hit wonder to being a band with multiple hits to someone elses opinion

TomTB

The Master Tweeter
Staff member
I think more so we need a definition of one hit wonder, which means we need to define a "hit".

The most readily available and veeifiable definition is one of commercial success. This is easily tracked by number of sales, appearence on charts, number of plays, or requests. Both "signs" and "love song" meet these requirements with gusto, both reaching top ten in various charts and sales numbers. But not a single other song by TESla even satisfies just one of those parameters.

There's another definition, just popularity, this is not definable, verifiable , or countable, and it could apply to any number of one hit wonders based on personal opinion invalidating anyones application of the title one hit wonder to being a vand with multiple hits
Yeah, but thinking too hard about it kinda takes the fun out of it, so maybe not ...

Bierschneeman

Yeah, but thinking too hard about it kinda takes the fun out of it, so maybe not ...
Lol, I'm just sticking by my TESla as a two hit (one imho) wonder not only verifiable but googlable as listed in every two or one hit wonder list that appears on google.