Post one hit wonders

Discussion in 'Anything' started by Alucard, Apr 13, 2017.

1. Alucard

Alucard In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge! Staff Member

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017 at 12:55 PM
  2. TomTB

TomTB The Master Tweeter Staff Member

Loved this song when I was a kid, and to my mind, is one of the greatest 'one hit wonders' out there ..

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Alucard

I love that song too. Listen to it all the time :D

4. Bierschneeman

Bierschneeman Journeyed there and back again

TESla comes to mind.
    And more recently Cee Low Green

5. Khartun

Khartun Journeyed there and back again

I'm a bit older. Here are a few off the top...

6. Khartun

Tesla isn't a one hit wonder. They had multiple hits. They were very popular.

7. Alucard

I only heard Kim Wilde's song before. The other two are brand new to me. 'I ran' is pretty cool. Thanks Khartun and keep them up.
    Bierschneeman please post the actual songs in the thread. If you just list them, nobody's gonna go look for it lol

I remembered one more. Brit band, mid 90s. The video is epilepsy inducing. But the singer is gorgeous.

8. Sneaky Burrito

Sneaky Burrito Crazy Cat Lady Staff Member

I'm sure I'll think of a good one to post in a bit.

But if you live in Atlanta and listen to classic rock on the radio, you'd think EVERY band was a one-hit wonder. Because seriously, they play like the same Tom Petty (or substitute The Who or the Rolling Stones or Led Zeppelin or Aerosmith) song over and over and over again. God forbid they ever play Jimi Hendrix or Janis Joplin.

9. Bierschneeman

Technically they exactly two, but one was a cover so I count it as a one hit wonder band.

10. TomTB

I loved Republica in the early/mid-1990s .. them and Echobelly, two great female fronted 'Britpop' bands! Republica had quite a few hits, but this is the one they're definitely remembered for, so guess it fits as a one hit wonder :)

11. Khartun

I guess it depends on where you grew up and what you listened to at that time. I can't believe @Alucard hadn't heard of I Ran before. I can think of 5-6 hits Tesla had.

12. Khartun

Won't let me play that video in the US. Here is another video for it:

I remember that song from Vegas Vacation.

• Like Like x 1
  13. TomTB

Never heard Wall of Voodoo before, but I can hear a Greenday-esque vibe in their music .. I can imagine them being an inspiration to Billie Joe etc ..

14. Khartun

A-Ha

Then Family Guy did a skit with it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. Alucard

I grew up listening MTV and VH1 and while it's true that Republica had few hits in UK after this one, they never really made it quite so big in US and rest of the world after Ready to Go.

Yup, guess I came a little too late :)

Here's one more everyone probably knows. Back in '82...

And one I have not known what it means for an embarrassingly long time when I was a kid lol
    '90s

• Like Like x 1
  16. TomTB

Ahhh .. Dexy's Midnight Runners ... the soundtrack to just about every school disco I went to between about 1985 and 1995! :)

17. Bierschneeman

I think more so we need a definition of one hit wonder, which means we need to define a "hit".

The most readily available and veeifiable definition is one of commercial success. This is easily tracked by number of sales, appearence on charts, number of plays, or requests. Both "signs" and "love song" meet these requirements with gusto, both reaching top ten in various charts and sales numbers. But not a single other song by TESla even satisfies just one of those parameters.

There's another definition, just popularity, this is not definable, verifiable , or countable, and it could apply to any number of one hit wonders based on personal opinion invalidating anyones application of the title one hit wonder to being a band with multiple hits to someone elses opinion

18. TomTB

Yeah, but thinking too hard about it kinda takes the fun out of it, so maybe not ...

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Bierschneeman

Lol, I'm just sticking by my TESla as a two hit (one imho) wonder not only verifiable but googlable as listed in every two or one hit wonder list that appears on google.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Alucard

@TomTB hovering between agree and funny :D

• Like Like x 1