Post your DNFs!

Discussion in 'Fantasy' started by Sneaky Burrito, Jun 9, 2017.

1. Sneaky Burrito

Sneaky Burrito Crazy Cat Lady Staff Member

I finished this and the ending pissed me off so much. You're better off reading the first book and then quitting.

2. Darth Tater

Darth Tater Journeyed there and back again

I forgot to add the classics I DNF. Like you, I tried to read a boatload. I probably quit 1/3of them after around 20 pages. They either bored or confused me.

3. kenubrion

kenubrion Journeyed there and back again

Thanks Sneaky. If that's the case I'll still skip it. He deserved to be a national hero not a shattered husband and father.

4. ExTended

ExTended Hired Nicomo Cosca, famed soldier of fortune

Mine are as follows:

The Silmarillion by J. R. R. Tolkien - It was back in my teenage years, I've got to the middle, but the book was just too overwhelming with lore and facts and melancholy/mellowness. So I've stopped it and I never got back to finishing it, no idea why, because for what it's worth - the book is great, and somewhat unique.

The Color of Magic by Terry Pratchett - I've reached the middle of the book, but there was just... way too much story in it. Things kept happening very rapidly, most of them without any logical correlation or build-up, and I wasn't invested in the characters, so at one point it just became too hard to follow without losing concentration and zoning out, getting bored.

The Riddle-Master of Hed by Patricia A. McKillip - Same here. Got to the middle of it, the story wat too sporadic and things kept happening in a very D&D style, so I just got bored from the story constantly changing direction and decided to stop with the book, at least for a time.

Prince of Fools by Mark Lawrence - I've given the book a good chance, got roughly to the middle of it. It was just... bland. Mark Lawrence is probably the first author who copycats himself. Okay, maybe the 2nd - Raymond E. Feist was doing it long before Mark Lawrence. But still... the new protagonist is Jorg 2.0 but more boring, his new side-kick is Makin 2.0 but more boring, the conflict of the book was Emperor of Thorns 2.0 but more meaningless. The only good thing about this book was its narrator - Tim Gerard Reynoleds, but even this awesome man couldn't save this train-wreck of a book. I don't know if and when I'd finish it, but it's just... if Mark Lawrence wanted to write more of the same, he should've just written a segway story about Jorg instead.

5. Bierschneeman

Bierschneeman Journeyed there and back again

I tried to read it long before I had it required... so when It came up in class (I had a solid A in the class) I asked the teacher what my grade would be if I skipped ALL Huck Finn content... I got a C... worth it.

6. Darth Tater

I read Huck Finn more times than any other book in my life (4 times). Not because I loved it. I thought it was good but I read it as a child (around 7 years old), twice as required reading in college, and once a couple years ago when I was trying to read a lot of classics.

It sounds like several people here didn't like Huck Finn. I'm curious as to why? He was born on a day Halleys comet appeared. He said he came in that day and would also go out when it reappeared. Sure enough he died one day after it showed up.

7. Andrew.J

Andrew.J Hired Nicomo Cosca, famed soldier of fortune

The Magicians by Lev Grossman. Didn't like it at all. It went from boring to mildly irritating really quickly. Something about the way it's written (and the book's content too) doesn't sit well with me. I dropped it at around 60%, so I don't have a very well- informed opinion, but I doubt I'll ever give it another go.
    Also, The Catcher in the Rye and To Kill A Mocking Bird. Don't like them but don't dislike them either. I put them down at some point when reading and never picked them up again. I can see why they (especially To Kill A Mocking Bird) are highly regarded but the novels never inspired any strong emotions or thoughts as they have had for many other people.
    There are some other books I didn't finish and some that I have that I keep under wraps. I liked vampires when I was a younger (I still do, but the cool kind :p).

8. Andrew.J

Andrew.J Hired Nicomo Cosca, famed soldier of fortune

This might be a bit unrelated but I've heard that Verne's translations to English quite bad (French-English translations in general, but I've never checked this out, maybe someone knows more about this than I do). Could that have made a difference?

9. Bierschneeman

possibly, but I rather enjoyed a few of the Verne books so far so this one sticking out as boring above the others would be more viewable as a true thought on content.

Also I will say that the English to French Translations can be some of the worst, but if you get a good translator it can be one of the best.. Anthony Burgess made quite a splash with his translations (his Cyrano de Beregerac haunts my best dreams... this is a man who can take a play and make sure it rhymes in English without changing the meaning of the sentences, a feat particularly hard)

10. Bierschneeman

Addition: equal rites.
    It's not bad or boring, I just can't finish it. Tried 4 times, got to page 130 but once.

Question, wasn't there a "permanent residents to TBR thread somewhere?

11. Darth Tater

Did you read Journey To The Center Of The Earth? Did you enjoy it? It thought it was one big BORING lesson in geology from start to finish. Very disappointing. As a result, I crossed Mysterious Island, 20,00 Leagues, and 80 Days In A Balloon off my TBR thinking they would be filled with the same.

12. Bierschneeman

I did, what a vile book. (Also all that for from earth to the moon)

And it is filled with bad, made up, imaginary, and just plain wrong facts about geology.

Five weeks in a balloon had more of the same, but it had a gripping sense of wonder and "huzzah" moments (just pretend you didn't just read the protagonist s mistake black men for monkeys and vice versa... FIVE seperate TIMES)

The book that is keeping Jules Verne on my list is the adventure of captain hatteras. More an exploratory drama then a (list of equipment followed by a chapter about bad math, and exclamations of my science is better than yours) I rather enjoyed it.

I expect 20,000 leagues to be good, if its not, I drop everything left of Jules verne.

13. Hand of Fear

Hand of Fear Journeyed there and back again

I didn't think that I would be posting in this thread as it's extremely rare that I DNF a book, but after 101 pages (the book is only about 145 pages long) I just couldn't put myself through the pain and misery of continuing on with The Slow Regard of Silent Things.

I just don't have the time or patience to read complete and utter drivel, the book is just about a girl with a bad case of OCD. So if you like reading about things needing to be in the right place, facing the correct way and not being next to another object because it might upset it then you will love this book. Auri also likes to wash her face, hands and feet a lot and tries to avoid all contact with humans.

Honestly if this book is on your 'to buy' 'to read' list remove it, you will be disappointed. When Patrick Rothfuss came on to the scene with The Name of the Wind I truly thought he was going to be one of the best authors around, and that I would have many happy years of reading his books. He has managed to completely destroy any kind of credit I had for him with this book so much so if and when he manages to get himself off Goodreads and actually finishing writing the book, I will be very wary of buying it.

This review doesn't bring me any happiness, only sadness and it's a crying shame that he actually wrote and published this book.

14. Theophania

Theophania Hired Nicomo Cosca, famed soldier of fortune

I never used to keep track, but I'm a member of a group on Goodreads that does 'pick it for me' challenges every month, where you pick a panel of books for someone else, and they have to read one of them. I realised that having a 'DNF shelf' reduced the chances I'd get books picked for me that I didn't like, without the embarrassment of having to actually point it out.

So...
    The Lies of Locke Lamora. I tried reading that twice and gave up both times. I can see that Scott Lynch is a really good author - and I even like anti-heroes. I think the problem was the lack of insight into Locke's character - it just didn't give me any reason to want to carry on reading about him. So I didn't.

Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell. Pretentious. It seemed to be an awful lot of pages of the author trying to demonstrate how literarararary and erudite she was. She may well be. I'm obviously just not up to her high standards as a reader. (Base, common and popular, that's me.)

Red Rising. I think I lasted less than a page before the present-tense narration drove me insane and I was arrested as I tried to murder random bystanders with an axe. Actually, no. I just closed the book then returned it to Amazon for a refund. But if I'd carried on much longer, the axe thing might have happened. Plus it was YA, and I just can't take all that angst.

There are more, but those are the high points.

15. Sneaky Burrito

I thought of another DNF series.

That one by Paul Hoffman that started with The Left Hand of God, which I remember enjoying. But then there was the sequel, The Last Four Things, where it's like all the events of the first book didn't effing matter. I don't even know if there is another book out yet and I don't care because I was so unenthusiastic about #2 that I wouldn't go any further.

16. TomTB

TomTB The Master Tweeter Staff Member

Yeah I forgot about that one. I liked the first book seeing Cale grow in stature. Then he just became some sort of invincible demi-god, which was all just a bit ridiculous. Not sure if I even made it to the end of the second book .. certainly didn't go anywhere near the third.

Others I can think of now.

Stormcaller. Very mediocre.

Red Rising. Not my bag.

The Darkness that Comes Before. Too depressing.

The Book of the New Sun. Bland characters.

17. Sneaky Burrito

I finished this. It's one of those like the Sword of Truth books where I really, really wish I hadn't.

18. Bierschneeman

Adding equal rites.

Probably really good, but I tried three times and failed. Really liking the sequel though

19. Sneaky Burrito

Here is another one: Echopraxia by Peter Watts.

This is science fiction that I got an ARC of. It's funny, normally I hate sci fi with a lot of science in it because I start noticing flaws. In this one, Peter Watts does a good job with the science because he has a PhD in biology. But I just didn't give a crap about any of the characters, and I probably didn't understand some of the background because this was the second book in a series (even though you allegedly didn't have to read the first one to read this, and it seems somewhat self-contained from a narrative standpoint). But I put this down 3-4 years ago (or more) and forgot about it until I saw it on my shelf today.

20. Derk of Derkholm

Derk of Derkholm Journeyed there and back again

For me it was exactly the other way round.
    Plowed through Cryptonomicon, but lost traction somewhere during The Baroque Cycle.