Post your DNFs!

Discussion in 'Fantasy' started by Sneaky Burrito, Jun 9, 2017.

1. Derk of Derkholm

Derk of Derkholm Journeyed there and back again

MONSTER HUNTERS by Larry Correia.

Picked it up at the suggestion of a fellow Dresden Files fan on another forum.
    As it was an endorsement, I did not follow my usual modus operandi to download the free Kindle sample before buying any new book by an unknown author, and have heavily regretted it.

Could hardly stand it for about 40 pages, but it was so bad, that I could not keep reading it (nor would I want to).

Suggested only for diehard Trump supporters (Seriously!!! You'll bigly love it!!!!!)

2. Darth Tater

Darth Tater Journeyed there and back again

Tsk tsk. :rolleyes:

3. Silvion Night

Silvion Night Sir Readalot Staff Member

The only books I DNF are Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand (pretentious and didn't make sense) and Ulysses by James Joyce, as it was unintelligeble.

4. Alucard

Alucard In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge! Staff Member

I usually don't DNF a book but I will DNF a series.

The series I have gave up on are:

1. Hitchhiker's guide to Galaxy
    I gave up after book 2. They weren't funny and I was getting a headache just by reading them.

2. Demon Cycle by Peter V. Brett
    After amazing book 1, things slowly started to go downhill. I've read until book 4 and while there is a slight chance that I might return to this series (very slight chance), right now I don't care about 'what happens next' and that right there is crucial to me in wanting to continue with any series.

3. The Inheritance Trilogy by N. K. Jemisin
    The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms is just pure shit as far as I'm concerned. First person narration, cardboard characters, romance and sex scenes with gods. Just...no. This is romance drivel disguised as Fantasy.

4. Long Price Quartet by Daniel Abraham
    Read the first book A Shadow in Summer, and unlike the rest of the titles on this list, this is actually a very well written book. However it never clicked with me in either characters or plot. Never made me care enough for either to want to know what happens next.
    I might go back, but there are more books to read than I have the time.

5. Elantris series by Brandon Sanderson
    He managed to put me of reading any of his books with it. Enough said.

6. Chronicle of the Unhewn Throne by Brian Staveley
    This is just tropey as fuck. Didn't care about the characters or plot. Also he tells the same story twice in one book. Both brothers go through their own growing up trials. It's so boring. And one main female character that he has, that is already an adult character so not going through any 'boy with the sword' tropes, he completely ignores. The only good thing about the first book was the prologue.

7. The Dandelion Dynasty by Ken Liu
    He wrote dumb characters and told the same story twice like Staveley. In one book. There are million and one side characters that do nothing and the world is simplistic. Maps were nice, I'll give his illustrator that.
    I wrote a whole rant on it here: http://bestfantasybooks.com/forums/threads/the-grace-of-kings-by-ken-liu.2132/#post-41294

8. Shades of Magic by V. E. Schwab
    I've read A Darker Shade of Magic and while I can't say that it's an awful book like some others on my list it's just mediocre. All I remember from it are token gay character and Keira Knightly's character from Pirates of the Caribbean movies. Oh that wasn't her? Could have fooled me. /s

9. The Legends of the First Empire by Michael J. Sullivan
    I've read Age of Myth last year, and that was a mediocre book, which largely bored me with godawful tropey villains who actually shout 'Kill them all'. I'm not continuing with that snooze-fest.

10. The Chronicles of Prydain by Llyod Alexander
    First of, he has a weird name. But that's neither here nor there. The story is formulaic, the writing is crude and simplistic. I gave up after book 2. There is better middle-grade fantasy out there.

Side note:
    I see some people comparing The Iron Druid series with Dresden Files and while this is fair, since both series are urban fantasy, I don't think they are out to get the same point across. So, I'd like to add my dissenting opinion to the discussion.
    Unlike most of you I think, I have read ID before DF and I like it way more than DF. Reasons being, I don't like Harry. Still. After 5 books. I adore Atticus. If I could use only one word to describe Harry it would be OBNOXIOUS. In capital letters :D If I had to do the same for Atticus it would be witty.

Other reason includes secondary characters. DF has nothing on Oberon and Owen. The kind of humor that comes out from these characters is unmatchable. The closest DF comes for me is with Toot-Toot and the talking skull, but they don't get much page time.

Aside from me liking ID characters and humor more, one major reason why I think ID is better is the way Jim Butcher and Kevin Hearne incorporate fantasy elements.
    Mythology is heavily present in both series, but in my opinion Kevin Hearne does a stellar job with this. You can see that he does research on these things because they heavily correlate with actual myth, while Jim Butcher I sometimes feel pulls stuff from his ass. I don't think he gives much credence to research. Now there's nothing wrong with either approach, but to a reader like me who is very interested in mythology Hearne's approach is much more enjoyable to read. He actually manages to successfully combine Celtic, Norse and Slavic mythology in one narrative. I greatly appreciate that.

In any case, the above list is where I'm at currently. As you can see most of the books on there are epic fantasy. I have a hard time finding something that I want to read in that genre. These days I even have a hard time coming back to series which I have not DNFed like Malazan or Robin Hobb's Farseer books because they don't give me as much enjoyment as urban fantasy or heroic fantasy does. But I am in a reading slump overall, so maybe I need to wait for rainy days to get cozy with a cup of tea, a blanket and my kindle and dive back in to these worlds.

5. kenubrion

kenubrion Journeyed there and back again

Alucard, your series list included some first books I DNF and forgot. Thanks for mentioning Dandelion and Jemison, two we're supposed to like according to the literati. I was really enjoying her The Fifth Season when she pulls out the obligatory bisexual hero and ruined it for me. I've also rejected all your rejects, except for Age of Myth. It doesn't yet have the sparkle of Riyria but it's coming.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2017
  6. Alucard

I didn't make any suggestions. It's just my personal DNF list.

7. kenubrion

Yeah, I changed my wording without knowing you had responded. Sorry about that.

8. Darth Tater

1. Hitchhikers Guide- "Niagara Falls. Slowly I turn. Step by step...". I hated even more than The Chronicles Of Amber". Torture. The first book I ever read on Kindle. I'm surprised it didn't break when I pounded it with a sledge hammer. WHY do people find this funny?? The books were lame stupidity IMO. I would rather have read perert Piers Anthony who isn't funny either. It was THAT grueling.

5. Elantris. I read only the original book. thought it was "good". Nothing special.

6. Unhewn Throne. I really liked the first book but the 2nd and 3rd were "Dumb And Dumber", IMO. Waste of time.

9. Andrew.J

Andrew.J Hired Nicomo Cosca, famed soldier of fortune

I might pick The Iron Druid up sometime soon. Sounds interesting, especially the mythology part. I can't get enough of that. Although, I think I'll need a little break after Dresden Files. It's been over 6 months reading the series almost exclusively and it's a bit much.

In the defence of DF, the series really gets better and picks up the steam at around books 6-7. If you ever feel like continuing, give it another go. Harry changes a lot throughout the series and rereading certain passages from the earlier books recently surprised me just how stark the contrast is. Many great characters are (re-)introduced a bit later in the series and while I can't speak for the ID, I think the ones DF are pretty great too. I agree on the mythology, although over the course of the series Butcher has developed his own, at this point quite intricate, magical world, it's only loosely based on the real-world myth and folklore.

P.S. I thought Death Masks, the last book you've read, was only marginally better than the first books in the series. I didn't like it that much. But Blood Rites is better and Dead Beat (Book #7) is amazing.

10. Alucard

It's really difficult to judge houmor and what is funny to everyone. Basically nothing is imo.
    In any case I could see what was supposed to be funny in them but I wasn't laughing. I like wit and intelligent humour but hitchhiker's guide is not in that business. It's in the business of absurd for sake of absurdity. To me that gets old really fast.

I have not DNFed DF. I definitely see the potential in it, I just have my preference for Iron Druid. If you do end up reading it I highly recommend you to opt for audiobooks over text. These are one of the best audiobooks in the market. I've 'read' the whole series this way.

I will go back to DF at one point. Right now I'm geting my urban fantasy fix with an excellent Sandman Slim series by Richard Kadrey. It's quite dark, chock full of action and I like the main character a lot.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2017
  11. Darth Tater

Absolutely. I agree. We are all different and I'm not judging peoples tastes. I frown upon people who do that. A very immature and closed minded perspective.It's all subjective and our opinions on the book are by far in the minority. But I was serious. I just cannot imagine why that book is considered a modern classic. Around 3 jokes made me smile but that was all. IMO, the book was boring, pointless, and the humor was forced. Just not my kind of humor. If it were written today I think it would fly well under the radar. I like how you phrased it "absurd for the sake of absurdity".

12. Silvion Night

Don't know about that. I only discovered it about 8 years ago and it immediately became one of my favorite books. It still is. I re-read it every year or so. The Faulty Towers/ Monty Pytonesque humour really appeals to me.

But like you and Alucard said, there is no accounting for humour. What works for one, doesn't work for someone else. Hell, I have a friend who loves Pratchett, but hates the Witches storyline because he says its unfunny. I cannot imagine anyone saying that, but there you have it.

13. Alucard

See I'm a huge fan of both of these and I laugh my butt off when watching them, but I don't think this kind of humor correlates with Hitchhiker's Guide. If it did I would find the books funny too.

14. Silvion Night

I suspect it's because of the way I picture the situations of the book in my mind. Facial expressions, tone, appearance, situations; all these nuances determine whether you find something humorous or not. Now I watched the Hitchhikers movie some years ago and I didn't like it. All the characters were off in my opinion and the situations not nearly as funny as how I remembered them from the book (and there were a lot of scenes that weren't in the book and vice versa).

15. Alucard

Yeah that could be it. It might be the same book but we all experience it differently. For me it never clicked as classic dark British humour does, which is my favorite type of humour to be honest. It was just absurd.

16. Bierschneeman

Bierschneeman Journeyed there and back again

most of the scenes not in the book were in the sequels instead. the Hitchhikers Guide movie is really an abridged version of the whole series.

17. kenubrion

I couldn't even watch the movie although I tried twice. The TV show, however, was true to the book and charmingly quaint with its low budget production values. Nor much happened in every episode so getting through the book took quite a while. I enjoyed it a lot as well as Dr. Who with Tom Baker, the best Doctor in my opinion, and Faulty Towers. They were all on the Public Broadcasting Service during the same period in the early 80's.

18. Nuomer1

Nuomer1 Journeyed there and back again

Going back to the original purpose of this thread . . .
    I was a little doubtful about this - I don't want to make enemies, and I know my tastes are not quite in line with some of the prominent members of BestFantasyBooks.
    Even so, "DNF" isn't criticism, its just a statement that a particular work (and maybe this also indicates a particular author, though I know some are very widely variable).

The Malice - Peter Newman. Git about a third of the way into the first book of the trilogy and it just wasn't holding me. Maybe I will try again later, maybe not.
    Ancillary Justice - Anne Leckie. Weird, confusing, with strong hints that it might get a bit grimdark later. I got about a third of the way in. Some of the POV was just too alien for me.
    Wise Man's Fear - Rothfuss. Its a bit of a shame - I quite liked the first book (Name of the Wind) and gave it a well-deserved four stars -my review here. However, in that review I did comment on the intricate 'stories-within-stories' structure. When I started Wise Man's Fear, that style just got to be too much for me. I probably shan't go back.
    The Liveship Traders - Robin Hobb. Sorry, it just didn't click with me.
    Alloria - David Staniforth. This one didn't click either.
    The Sane King - Matt Knott. Or this - just no spark, for me.
    Foehammer - Duncan Campbell. A bit dark.

OK, lets be fair both ways - I haven't included anything here unless I got comfortably beyond the Kindle free sample - but in most cases I gave up between 25 & 35%. My Kindle also has a folder called "Rejected Samples". There are over 100 entries in there, including a few who could be counted as Big Names, but mostly authors who have been prominent (albeit briefly in some cases) on these conferences or Goodreads.

I suppose everybody has their own tastes and preferences. So it goes.

19. kenubrion

Man how I need that. I get frustrated at forgetting I've rejected something in the past and try it again. How do you do this? I'm looking but don't see the option. Thanks.

20. MorteTorment

MorteTorment Knows Who John Uskglass Is