Post your DNFs!

Discussion in 'Fantasy' started by Sneaky Burrito, Jun 9, 2017.

1. ABatch

ABatch Ran bridges next to Kaladin

You are all going to think I'm an idiot, but I couldn't get into the very first Wheel of Time book, Malice or The Way of Kings (upon which my alarm clock rests).

2. rudyjuly2

rudyjuly2 A Poet of the Khaiem

On an opposite note, I really enjoyed the Lions of Al Rassan by GGK. Unlike most fantasy books, which end up trilogies or longer and can overstay their welcome, this was a standalone book that I was disappointed wasn't longer. The world was cool and there were more stories to tell. It could have easily been a trilogy but instead it focused on a few main characters and finished the story.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Noor Al-Shanti

Noor Al-Shanti Stood on the wall with Druss

I wish more writers did that instead of all the trilogies and stretched out series! GGK is pretty good for that.

4. kenubrion

kenubrion Journeyed there and back again

I have a new DNF, the Nameless Dwarf series book 1. Too bad as there are a lot of books in that series.

5. rudyjuly2

rudyjuly2 A Poet of the Khaiem

I can understand this. It's old school, it's got a lot of fantasy elements including a lot of magic, it might have some things too similar to LOTR (like the Trollics/Orcs) and a group of kids in a village that are destined to save the world. I wasn't fully enamored with book 1 but I did like it. I think the first 3-5 books really set the stage for the world and it grows. Every book seems to add more characters and new things to the world. You enjoy the series more and more and enjoy the characters (good and bad) until it hits the lull in the middle.

I am glad I made the plunge and will enjoy the finale (almost there!). Having read the series I don't see this like LOTR at all. I also like how my feelings towards some of the main characters has ebbed and flowed from like to dislike depending on the story arc. You miss characters if their plots aren't the focus of a book.

6. Diziet Sma

Diziet Sma Hired Nicomo Cosca, famed soldier of fortune

Why Ken? I love dwarves and I have also bought the series.

7. TomTB

TomTB The Master Tweeter Staff Member

I've made the mistake of buying a whole series then reading the first book and hating it SO MANY TIMES! I'll never learn.

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. kenubrion

I'm reconsidering my initial opinion. Read quite a bit of it yesterday. This is another series that dumps you in the middle of the story/action. But it does read like real epic fantasy so we'll see. The protagonist becomes nameless because of a horrible thing he did but he can't remember what it was or his name. We know what it was and it's hard to care about him thereafter.

9. Nuomer1

Nuomer1 Ran bridges next to Kaladin

If you have a nice old-fashioned Kindle you just create a new folder - its in the options list on the Home page.
    If you have a Kindle Fire, then the answer is "Sodomy Non Sapiens" - and if anyone else knows, I would love to hear about it!

Sorry about late response - been away on holiday - with Fire, not proper Kindle. Fire can do emails, conferencing, web, etc, but not as convenient as laptop!

10. Derk of Derkholm

Derk of Derkholm Journeyed there and back again

Those two are on my DNES list (stands for "Did not even start").
    Means, I picked up the book at some point in time but so far could not even find the motivation to start....

11. Derk of Derkholm

On my DNF list, "Malazan" is also prominently featured, as I picked up "Gardens of the Moon", read it and found it just so-so, not enough to make me pick up a second book.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Silvion Night

Silvion Night Sir Readalot Staff Member

Yeah, but.... The rest of the series is so much better! You're really missing out man. GoTM has a totally different style and set-up when compared to the rest of the Malazan books.

13. kenubrion

Thanks Nuomer.

14. Tanniel

Tanniel Hired Nicomo Cosca, famed soldier of fortune

I had to read Ulysses for a class once, and give a presentation that determined whether I passed or failed, so couldn't really get out of it. Of course, I delayed until a week before, meaning I ended up reading it in 6 days and then had the weekend to make a presentation. Hardest reading session of my life.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. Diziet Sma

Diziet Sma Hired Nicomo Cosca, famed soldier of fortune

Let us hope it keeps getting better and that you enjoy it. Otherwise, this might be a DFN for me along with Scalzi's Old Man's War.

16. Alucard

Alucard In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge! Staff Member

Exactly. You should listen to him @Derk of Derkholm
    GotM is a glorified failed movie script adaptation. It was supposed to be a movie, of course it's sub par in writing and as a book!
    But approximately 10 years after GotM, Erikson wrote Deadhouse Gates and the quality of writing is miles away from the book that started it all. And after that it only gets better.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. kenubrion

I did not know that. Now the difference in writing makes sense. And I agree, stopping after Gardens is understandable but it cheats the reader of the best epic fantasy ever written.

18. Alucard

Alucard In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge! Staff Member

Yeah, I was surprised as well when I found out, but it explained a lot for me, especially how the book is just action!action!action!, with no real set up of the world or characters, kinda like an action movie would be. From wiki:

The Malazan world was devised by Steven Erikson and Ian Cameron Esslemont, initially as a setting for a role-playing game while working on his thesis at the Iowa Writers' Workshop. In 1991, they collaborated to create a film-script set in the same world, titled Gardens of the Moon. When the script did not sell, Erikson turned the script into a novel and struggled to publish it until Transworld signed a deal.[2]

19. Derk of Derkholm

Interesting!
    Hmm, guess I might give it another try.
    Had GOTM as paper book and gave it away when I went to Asia.
    What to do now, buy it again on Kindle to read it again or go straight to Deadhouse Gates?

20. Khartun

Khartun Journeyed there and back again

I guess
    Tor gave it away a couple of months ago as their monthly read. I don't believe I downloaded as I already had it but someone might have. Maybe they can send it to you.

If you don't remember what happens I would re-read it but if you at least remember a bit it won't hurt to go to DG.