Post your DNFs!

Discussion in 'Fantasy' started by Sneaky Burrito, Jun 9, 2017.

1. Alucard

Alucard In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge! Staff Member

Nah, don't read it again. You already read it once.
    I recommend Malazan wikia. It has this superbly detailed summary by individual chapters and they even made sure to include the poems or excerpts that start off every chapter.
    http://malazan.wikia.com/wiki/Gardens_of_the_Moon/Prologue

If you read the summary, you will probably recollect more of the book than you do now and even if you don't recollect as much, this summary is so detailed you can comfortably go to Deadhouse Gates without being lost as to who is who.
    Deadhouse Gates has only a few characters from GotM. The majority is new characters, and the novel is set in a completely new continent, so it's a fresh start on many levels.

2. Ryan W. Mueller

Ryan W. Mueller Ran bridges next to Kaladin

Maybe I'm strange, but I actually preferred Gardens of the Moon to Deadhouse Gates. Gardens of the Moon had a much faster pace. For the next four books, I've felt like there are some great scenes sandwiched between a lot of tedious stuff. But maybe that's just me.

I still want to finish the series at some point. I just keep putting other books before it.

3. Alucard

That's not always a good thing. At least from where I'm standing. If GotM was a movie it would be made by Michael Bay.

Character development in GotM is non existent and characters themselves are paper thin. Erikson never tries to create a connection between a reader and the characters. It's all just bombastic explosions, mayhem and chaos. There is some good writing there, I'm not saying the book is bad, but I absolutely did not care about any of the characters.
    On the other hand Deadhouse Gates made me cry. It's heartbreaking how it ends. Erikson involves you with the characters journey and I really ended up caring so much. The writing is so much better, it's obvious that during those 10 years he developed subtlety and moved away from only employing action to create an impact on the reader. There's still plenty of action and nail-biting moments in DG, but it's much better balanced with character development and world-building.
    DG also has my all time favorite quote from Malazan:

“Children are dying."
    Lull nodded. "That's a succinct summary of humankind, I'd say. Who needs tomes and volumes of history? Children are dying. The injustices of the world hide in those three words.”

4. Khartun

Khartun Journeyed there and back again

I didn't love it more than DG or MoI but I do like Gardens a lot. I have never understood the hate it gets.

5. Khartun

That's a great quote. Did you finish the series? I was thinking you were up to Bonehunters or something.

6. Silvion Night

Silvion Night Sir Readalot Staff Member

It doesn't get hate, it's only regarded by most people as the weakest instalment in the series (but by no means bad).

7. Khartun

Here is another option. Tor's Reread of the Fallen.

It summarizes each Malazan book.

http://www.tor.com/series/malazan-reread-of-the-fallen/

8. Khartun

You must not go to /r/Fantasy. It gets a lot of hate.

9. Alucard

I'm half way done. Another half to go.

Exactly. Criticism is not hate.

I think Silv meant on this forum. Having a balanced opinion and recognizing faults is a good thing. Better than fanboying or hate.

10. Khartun

Yes, I wasn't speaking of just this forum. Most here love the series. But Malazan has lots of haters and Gardens most of all.

Halfway puts you at Bonehunters which is awesome. Then Reaper's Gale after that is my favorite book in the series.

11. Alucard

I guess I'm bad at math. I need to read Midnight Tides before Bonehunters. But since I'm reading Esselmont's books together, before RG I will need to read Night of Knives as well.

12. Khartun

MT is fantastic as well. You meet a bunch of new characters in it.

13. Maark Abbott

Maark Abbott Journeyed there and back again

Best duo is best

14. Ryan W. Mueller

Ryan W. Mueller Ran bridges next to Kaladin

MT is the last one I've read. It was actually my favorite so far. Some day, I might reread the earlier books to see if I simply wasn't in the right state of mind to love them.

15. afa

afa Journeyed there and back again

DNF series:
    • The Gentleman Bastard Sequence by Scott Lynch. I read The Lies of Locke Lamora and thought it was just okay, didn't quite see what the fuss was about. I then read Red Seas Under Red Skies, and thought it was flat out bad. I haven't bothered reading the third, and will likely never get back into the series.
    • The Shannara Trilogy by Terry Brooks. I bought the first two years ago, but only read the first one. Like most people, I walked away thinking what a shameless (and inferior) rip-off it was of The Lord of the Rings. I haven't bothered going back. I know it is supposed to get better later on, but... meh.
    • The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, the Unbeliever by Stephen R. Donaldson. A series that is generally highly regarded. I read the first one, and even started the second, but just couldn't care enough to continue. It was too boring, and I just didn't care about what was happening.
    • The Magicians Trilogy by Lev Grossman. I read the first book, and hated it. A complete whine-fest. No desire at all to finish the rest.
    • Mageborn by Michael G. Manning. I got the first book, The Blacksmith's Son, for free (or perhaps $0.99) as a Kindle deal a while back. Read it. It was fine, I suppose, nothing offensive or terrible. But not enough for me to feel that I need to continue.
    • The Blacksmiths by Adrian Diglio. The Soul Smith (the first in the series) was a self-published book I came across a while back. There was an excerpt of it at the back of a short story by the author, and I fell in love with it. It was, I though, a fantastically interesting excerpt. Then I got the book. That excerpt had been neutered, and the rest of the book was a major letdown. Terrible editing, predictable story, nonsense growth. Just a bad book. I doubt the rest of the series even every gets done, so I don't feel too bad about giving up on it.
    • American Gods by Neil Gaiman. Does this count as a series? There are a couple of books which are supposed to be related to this. Either way, I hated the book, and will not read the others.
    • The Worldbreaker Saga by Kameron Hurley. I read the first book, The Mirror Empire. This one was very, very highly rated when it came out a couple of years ago, and I just didn't get it. I thought it was awful.
    DNF books:
    • Smoke and Mirrors (collection of short stories) by Neil Gaiman. Clearly, I don't get Gaiman's writing. I doubt I will be giving any of his other books a try any time soon.
    On the cusp:
    • Gathering by Brian G. Turner. If you've paid attention to my signature, I've been 'reading' this book for ages. The reason is that I just can't seem to make myself make time for it. I might still finish it, eventually, but I won't be continuuing.
    • The Iron Druid Chronicles by Kevin Hearne. A poor man's Dresden Files. The two books I have read were actually decent enough, but I'm not sure I will continue with it. I might, but it's more likely I will eventually go back to finishing Dresden first.
    • Vorkosigan Saga by Lois McMaster Bujold. I've read two books so far, and they were okay, but not enough to make me feel I have to read the others. I might give one of the main sequence books a shot before I call it quits. (The two I read were sort of like prequels.)
    • A Song of Ice and Fire by George R.R. Martin. This wouldn't really be by choice, but I am with @Silvion Night that I am increasingly doubtful GRRM will ever actually finish the series. Or if he does, it might be way too late for me to care.

16. Darth Tater

Darth Tater Journeyed there and back again

Based on my reading the first book of each, I concur on Gentlemen Bastards and Covenant.

On Gaiman, I didn't read any of the books you did but I read several by him because they are often marked down. I was all over the place. I thought the two short story collections were
    so so. Some, like you, I didn't really get. Of the four novels I thought two were excellent, one was fairly good but overrated. The other was below average. Seems like people are all over the place with him. I don't even see much agreement over which ones they really like, with the exception of Stardust, which is on my TBR.

17. Nuomer1

Nuomer1 Journeyed there and back again

Interesting list - and I overlap quite heavily with yor choices, that I feel I ought to comment:-

I also read the first one - and liked it, and I am surprised that I haven't yet got around to reading Red Seas.

Agreed. I forced myself to finish the first one, many years ago, and haven't read anything by Brooks since - and I don't intend to.

Agree - very strongly. NOT recommended!

I disagree with you on this one - I rather liked the first book, but I haven't yet reached the second.

Agree. DNF the first book, haven't looked any further.

Don't know this one.

The main item where I disagree with you. I really liked this - though I haven't yet seen the TV adaptation, and probably won't - it would spoil the book for me!

Haven't got round to this one yet.

Haven't tried this one, but I generally appreciate Gaiman - see American Gods above, also Ocean at the end of the Lane. And I rather liked Neverwhere when I read it, several years ago. I think I can safely say that Gaiman is a versatile and variable writer. That is also my opinion of Iain Banks - some BRILLIANT, some DNF (DN even get beyond page 10!)

Don't know this one.

Liked the first one, haven't got round to the others yet.

Sorry, just not my style.

I haven't even tried - and haven't seen the TV series either. I read something by GRRM many years ago (and would have to find a complete bibliography and strike lucky to even remember what it was) and decide to ignore him in future.

So - quite a lot of common ground here - thanks for the list.

18. jo zebedee

jo zebedee Journeyed there and back again

On Vorkosigan - the first two books put me off the series for years. In the end I tried the Miles books, liked then, then loved them and still do

19. afa

afa Journeyed there and back again

From what I've read here in terms of recommendations, etc., it seems that his book Neverwhere is the closest to being a consensus good book.

20. Silvion Night

Silvion Night Sir Readalot Staff Member

It is the one closest to what I would call 'Fantasy'. The rest of the books also have Fantasy elements of course, but I'd rather call those magical realism.