Post your DNFs!

afa

Journeyed there and back again
Interesting list - and I overlap quite heavily with yor choices, that I feel I ought to comment:-
I disagree with you on this one - I rather liked the first book, but I haven't yet reached the second.
The only thing I hesitate with Magicians is that I read somewhere (possibly right here on BFB) that the entire trilogy has to be taken as a whole, and you can't judge it by just one book. So, I don't know, maybe my judgement should be reserved. But I at least have to 'kind of' like the first book to continue a series, and I just didn't like the first book.

The main item where I disagree with you. I really liked this - though I haven't yet seen the TV adaptation, and probably won't - it would spoil the book for me!
I, too, haven't seen the TV show. But my reason is different from yours - I cared little enough for the book that I absolutely have no interest in the show.

I haven't even tried - and haven't seen the TV series either. I read something by GRRM many years ago (and would have to find a complete bibliography and strike lucky to even remember what it was) and decide to ignore him in future.
Well, now you've got me curious. What was it you read from him that turned you off so strongly? I haven't really read anything from GRRM other than ASoIaF and Fevre Dream (which was decent), so I'm no expert, but he's generally well-regarded even outside of ASoIaF.

afa

On Vorkosigan - the first two books put me off the series for years. In the end I tried the Miles books, liked then, then loved them and still do
Yeah, that's why I left the door open for revisiting the series. I haven't read any of the Miles books, which are the main books in the series, so I'm reserving judgment.

Ryan W. Mueller

From what I've read here in terms of recommendations, etc., it seems that his book Neverwhere is the closest to being a consensus good book.
I thought Neverwhere was just okay. At this point, I honestly couldn't tell you a thing about the book beyond what you could read in the description.

Peat

*flexes* This could take a while...

DNF series (conscious decisions to stop reading books in the series having started with the first book)

The whole Midkemia series by Raymond E. Feist - Got to about the last book, decided I didn't really care about the new set of characters, aborted. Love the first half.
The whole Deverry Cycle by Katherine Kerr - Ditto
The Traitor Son Cycle by Miles Cameron - Liked the first one, liked the second one but only because I skipped about half the chapters, decided there were too many meh/enraging characters so I read a few synopsis and decided I didn't care
Dragonriders of Pern by the McCaffreys - The change to sci-fan did not work for me
The Elder Gods by the Eddings - Felt like it was parody of themselves
The Black Company by Glen Cook - Fun but too much hard work
Shannara by Terry Brooks - Think it was after Scions I was like "This is okay but I'd probably enjoy other things more".
Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson - Finished the first book just to get a feel for the whole thing; felt engaged enough to read wiki and find out what happened, but didn't actually want to read it.
The Witcher by Andrej Sapowski - I wanted to like it but Blood of Elves was damn hard work
The Book of the New Sun - Gene Wolfe - I actually quite enjoyed book 1 but found a little went a long way so decided to leave it there
Left Hand of God by Paul Hoffman - I like superhero-esque characters but was a step too far.

DNF books

The Dragon's Path by Daniel Abraham - Fun prose, so-so characters with one particularly enraging unaware snob/bigot, didn't grab so put it down halfway through
The Faithful and the Fallen by John Gwynne - By the numbers, didn't charm me, never forgave the weirdness of a character named "Finn ap Something".
Dawnthief by James Barclay - Its alright. Didn't seem like it was gonna evolve from that.
Snuff & Rising Steam by Sir Terry Pratchett - Really didn't enjoy the end of his career.
Gardens of the Moon by Steven Eriksson - Fun enough but nothing really engaging. Ditto his tales of the two necromancers with the weird names.
The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson - I don't enjoy his writing style
The Lions of Al-Rassan by GGK - Really good but too long
Naamah's Blessing by Jacqueline Carey - Just felt flat and trite
Spirit Gate by Kate Elliott - Couple of meh chapters with too much exposition, then you kill off the character narrating it and switch to the even less interesting character? Bleh.
Twelve Kings of Whatsit by Bradley Beaulieu - Felt like it was written for 'shock' value, didn't enjoy the writing style and the fight was boring
The Riddlemaster of Hed by Patricia McKillip - Was very unforgiving that day and it felt a bit twee. Plus a girl named Tristan.
Night's Master by Tanith Lee - Simultaneously one of my favourite books ever and something I couldn't finish - the book equivalent of an extremely rich chocolate pudding. Should go back to.
The Gods of Pegana by Lord Dunsany - Ditto
Assassin's Grace by Robin Hobb - Too much misery with the result that I realised that's how it would end and was over it.
A Dance with Dragons by GRR Martin - Again, too much misery, plus it was really obvious how the book would end.
The Emperor's Blades by Brian Staveley - Like... I dunno. Just... no spark.
The Collegium Chronicles by Mercedes Lackey - Mags irritated me. Might return to Valdemar if/when she moves beyond him.
Dancers at the End of Time by Michael Moorcock - Was too much WTFery for me. Might try again some day.
The Iron Wyrm Affair by Lilith Saintcrow - Was fun enough in a hokey way but after a third of the way I flicked to the back to satisfy my curiousity and gave up.
The Copper Cat by Jen Williams - Part fun, mainly trying too hard to be all cool and full of action.
Traitor's Blade by Sebastien de Castell - Went for the big wow opening and I was left feeling nothing for the characters.
A Darker Shade of Magic - VE Schawb - Lost me with the first PoV change
Steel, Blood & Fire by Allan Batchelder - *runs away before he can be burnt for heresy*
Curse of the Mistwraith by Janny Wurts - Confusing as hell.
Bitterblue by Kristin Cashore - Normally I'm happy to read quite young but this time, I felt too old
Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell - Susanna Clarke - Too slow for me
The Vagrant by Peter Newman - I hate 1st person present tense and realised tat quite quickly in this book

That's the truncated off the top of my head version.

edited to add a few more:

The Blade of Fortriu by Juliet Mariller - It was alright, just nothing and no one super interesting in 60 pages or so
The Black Mage by Trudi Canavan - Ditto
Lord of the Silver Bow by David Gemmell - I love Gemmell! But I did have a bit of author fatigue and didn't find any of his characters that enticing for once. I also felt a bit cheated because it didn't really feel about Troy.
The City and the City by China Mieville - Great writing, great atmosphere, but nothing was happening and no one was interesting and there were a dauntingly large number of words of that to consume
Nine Princes in Amber by Roger Zelzany - Just didn't do it for me
The Monarchies of God by Paul Kearney - Not sure which one as I had them in omnibus form, but at some point around realising he was killing his most interesting character I lost interest
The Fencer trilogy by KJ Parker - The first book is a lot of fun. The second just... eh, I dunno. I forget whether I actually opened the third but I sure as hell didn't finish it.
Deryni Rising by Katherine Kurtz - Odd one this. I read one of the Chronicles of St Camber first and was intrigued although a bit put off by the heavy medieval ecclesiastical/social focus. Then I read this and it felt like a godawful prequel. Only found out later it was the original book. In any case, all a bit second rate adventure and over-noble for me
The Once and Future King by TH White - I really totally didn't get this. It would have made more sense to me written in Kazakh and I don't even know if that's an actual language.
The Dragonbone Chair by Tad Williams - Its a big fat pre-millennium epic so I should love it but for some reason it grabbed me not at all

Last edited:

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member
Finally somebody else. It was just @Maark Abbott and me for a long time lol

I also DNF'd that after 200 pages, but I kept deluding myself that I might return to it. Just because I feel I ought to since so many people like it. But I probably never will. Since I don't like it, so that should be my guideline.

Peat

I also DNF'd that after 200 pages, but I kept deluding myself that I might return to it. Just because I feel I ought to since so many people like it. But I probably never will. Since I don't like it, so that should be my guideline.
I think I lasted 2-3 chapters. How do you feel about the rest of Sanderson?

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
Read Elantris, fucking hated it.

Should I bother with Mistborn?
No, not if that's how you feel about Elantris. There are a lot of similar elements.

Nuomer1

The Book of the New Sun - Gene Wolfe - I actually quite enjoyed book 1 but found a little went a long way so decided to leave it there
[...]
Snuff & Rising Steam by Sir Terry Pratchett - Really didn't enjoy the end of his career.
[...]
Dancers at the End of Time by Michael Moorcock - Was too much WTFery for me. Might try again some day.
[...]
Steel, Blood & Fire by Allan Batchelder - *runs away before he can be burnt for heresy*
The Vagrant by Peter Newman - I hate 1st person present tense and realised tat quite quickly in this book
Gene Wolfe . . . I tried to read Shadow of the Torturer many years ago, and swore not to read anything else by him. I still feel mildly queasy at the memory.
Sir Terry. Reluctantly, I agree. So sad, to watch the collapse of such a wonderful intellect.
Michael Moorcock. I tried Elric and Runestaff long ago (about 1968/69) then met Moorcock at a Con. Swore never to read anything else by him. Broke my vow ten years later and tried to read a Jerry Cornelius. Got nearly halfway through, then formally renewed my vow.
Allan Batchelder. Yes. I hadn't dared say it in this conference, feeling much as you seem to. Decided I really don't like anything resembling Grimdark.
Peter Newman. Just didn't click with me. Probably won't try again.

Matticus Primal

*flexes* This could take a while...

DNF series (conscious decisions to stop reading books in the series having started with the first book)

The whole Midkemia series by Raymond E. Feist - Got to about the last book, decided I didn't really care about the new set of characters, aborted. Love the first half.
The whole Deverry Cycle by Katherine Kerr - Ditto
The Traitor Son Cycle by Miles Cameron - Liked the first one, liked the second one but only because I skipped about half the chapters, decided there were too many meh/enraging characters so I read a few synopsis and decided I didn't care
Dragonriders of Pern by the McCaffreys - The change to sci-fan did not work for me
The Elder Gods by the Eddings - Felt like it was parody of themselves
The Black Company by Glen Cook - Fun but too much hard work
Shannara by Terry Brooks - Think it was after Scions I was like "This is okay but I'd probably enjoy other things more".
Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson - Finished the first book just to get a feel for the whole thing; felt engaged enough to read wiki and find out what happened, but didn't actually want to read it.
The Witcher by Andrej Sapowski - I wanted to like it but Blood of Elves was damn hard work
Left Hand of God by Paul Hoffman - I like superhero-esque characters but was a step too far.

DNF books

The Dragon's Path by Daniel Abraham - Fun prose, so-so characters with one particularly enraging unaware snob/bigot, didn't grab so put it down halfway through
The Faithful and the Fallen by John Gwynne - By the numbers, didn't charm me, never forgave the weirdness of a character named "Finn ap Something".
Dawnthief by James Barclay - Its alright. Didn't seem like it was gonna evolve from that.
Gardens of the Moon by Steven Eriksson - Fun enough but nothing really engaging. Ditto his tales of the two necromancers with the weird names.
The Lions of Al-Rassan by GGK - Really good but too long
Naamah's Blessing by Jacqueline Carey - Just felt flat and trite
Spirit Gate by Kate Elliott - Couple of meh chapters with too much exposition, then you kill off the character narrating it and switch to the even less interesting character? Bleh.
Twelve Kings of Whatsit by Bradley Beaulieu - Felt like it was written for 'shock' value, didn't enjoy the writing style and the fight was boring
The Riddlemaster of Hed by Patricia McKillip - Was very unforgiving that day and it felt a bit twee. Plus a girl named Tristan.
Night's Master by Tanith Lee - Simultaneously one of my favourite books ever and something I couldn't finish - the book equivalent of an extremely rich chocolate pudding. Should go back to.
The Gods of Pegana by Lord Dunsany - Ditto
Assassin's Grace by Robin Hobb - Too much misery with the result that I realised that's how it would end and was over it.
A Dance with Dragons by GRR Martin - Again, too much misery, plus it was really obvious how the book would end.
The Emperor's Blades by Brian Staveley - Like... I dunno. Just... no spark.
The Collegium Chronicles by Mercedes Lackey - Mags irritated me. Might return to Valdemar if/when she moves beyond him.
The Iron Wyrm Affair by Lilith Saintcrow - Was fun enough in a hokey way but after a third of the way I flicked to the back to satisfy my curiousity and gave up.
The Copper Cat by Jen Williams - Part fun, mainly trying too hard to be all cool and full of action.
Traitor's Blade by Sebastien de Castell - Went for the big wow opening and I was left feeling nothing for the characters.
A Darker Shade of Magic - VE Schawb - Lost me with the first PoV change
Curse of the Mistwraith by Janny Wurts - Confusing as hell.
Bitterblue by Kristin Cashore - Normally I'm happy to read quite young but this time, I felt too old
Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell - Susanna Clarke - Too slow for me

That's the truncated off the top of my head version.
I think you've DNF'ed more books than I've ever read.

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
Wow @Peat. Do you ever finish a book/series I wonder? :)

Maark Abbott

I finished it, but I won't carry on the series. God, there was like 800 pages or so of pure filler in that.

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member
I finished it, but I won't carry on the series. God, there was like 800 pages or so of pure filler in that.
I believe you. I was bored and frustrated at the same time by page 200, let alone 800.

Peat

Wow @Peat. Do you ever finish a book/series I wonder? :)
Nevermind finish them, I'm looking back at that and almost wondering whether I even actually reading the bloody things!

That's mostly tongue in cheek, but only mostly. Most of it is that I'm just not much of a completionist and believe it is logically sound to move on from a piece of art once you've consumed your fill; a bit of it is linked to periods of depression making me particularly irritable and perfectionist; but I think some of it is that I just don't think much of what we are being told is great today.

But yes, I do finish plenty of books. I read fast and often and even allowing for the fact I love re-reading, I get through a lot of stuff. Series less so, as there's quite a lot of series where I'll read a book because I found it somewhere and then leave it up to chance as to whether I read the others. I don't know whether I finish Polansky's Low Town series f' instance. Or Jacka's Verus. I might give Wurts' War of Light and Shadow another go, although probably not Curse of the Mistwraith itself.

Gene Wolfe . . . I tried to read Shadow of the Torturer many years ago, and swore not to read anything else by him. I still feel mildly queasy at the memory.
Sir Terry. Reluctantly, I agree. So sad, to watch the collapse of such a wonderful intellect.
Michael Moorcock. I tried Elric and Runestaff long ago (about 1968/69) then met Moorcock at a Con. Swore never to read anything else by him. Broke my vow ten years later and tried to read a Jerry Cornelius. Got nearly halfway through, then formally renewed my vow.
Allan Batchelder. Yes. I hadn't dared say it in this conference, feeling much as you seem to. Decided I really don't like anything resembling Grimdark.
Peter Newman. Just didn't click with me. Probably won't try again.
*grins* I remember you mentioning Moorcock. I quite like some of his books but can well believe the man is a buttock.

And I don't mind the grimdark/stomach turning at times - but I don't think it connects that well with me.

That's one hell of a list, but the funny thing is that mine is just as long. I get tired of reading long series that never end.
See, I like long series that never end. When I finally find something I like, I don't want it to end!

Note - this list would be really, really long if I included all the kindle samples I've read and decided against the book on doing so.

Nuomer1

*grins* I remember you mentioning Moorcock. I quite like some of his books but can well believe the man is a buttock.
No idea if this is true - indeed, I strongly suspect it is not! - but the word going around at the time (way back, 1969-ish, remember) was that Moorcock had a certificate to prove he was sane . . . and the only way to get one of those was to have previously held one that said something different!