Post your DNFs!

Nuomer1

Journeyed there and back again
Note - this list would be really, really long if I included all the kindle samples I've read and decided against the book on doing so
My Kindle has a separate folder for those - currently running at 118 entries. This is likely to grow, and may one day be published. Authors on this site who write grimdark or anything approaching grimdark - be warned!

Peat

My Kindle has a separate folder for those - currently running at 118 entries. This is likely to grow, and may one day be published. Authors on this site who write grimdark or anything approaching grimdark - be warned!
My kindle sample folder is at 138 - but they're not all things I'll never read.

To add a few more I thought of -

The Blade of Fortriu by Juliet Mariller - It was alright, just nothing and no one super interesting in 60 pages or so
The Black Mage by Trudi Canavan - Ditto
Lord of the Silver Bow by David Gemmell - I love Gemmell! But I did have a bit of author fatigue and didn't find any of his characters that enticing for once. I also felt a bit cheated because it didn't really feel about Troy.
The City and the City by China Mieville - Great writing, great atmosphere, but nothing was happening and no one was interesting and there were a dauntingly large number of words of that to consume
Nine Princes in Amber by Roger Zelzany - Just didn't do it for me
The Monarchies of God by Paul Kearney - Not sure which one as I had them in omnibus form, but at some point around realising he was killing his most interesting character I lost interest
The Fencer trilogy by KJ Parker - The first book is a lot of fun. The second just... eh, I dunno. I forget whether I actually opened the third but I sure as hell didn't finish it.
Deryni Rising by Katherine Kurtz - Odd one this. I read one of the Chronicles of St Camber first and was intrigued although a bit put off by the heavy medieval ecclesiastical/social focus. Then I read this and it felt like a godawful prequel. Only found out later it was the original book. In any case, all a bit second rate adventure and over-noble for me
The Once and Future King by TH White - I really totally didn't get this. It would have made more sense to me written in Kazakh and I don't even know if that's an actual language.
The Dragonbone Chair by Tad Williams - Its a big fat pre-millennium epic so I should love it but for some reason it grabbed me not at all

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
Thinking about stopping after The Grace of Kings by Ken Liu. I was really not super into this book and am not sure I could take another couple hundred pages of battles over small principalities. The writing style didn't grab me, either -- too much infodumping. I didn't go out and buy the whole series at once, so it's not like I have the files waiting for me on my Kindle.

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
I think I have another one.

When The Aeronaut's Windlass by Jim Butcher came out, I bought it right away and tried to read it. I read all of Codex Alera in a week and I tore through all the Dresden Files books in a summer or so. Plus, you know, I want to support an author who is from my hometown and went to the same high school as I did.

But I just couldn't get into that book at the time. I tried again yesterday and am pretty much losing interest after about two chapters, again. There is a lot else out there that I think I'd rather be reading, so I'm probably just going to give this up.

(I don't like protracted airship battles of any kind, whether in the atmosphere of a planet or in space. They are fun to watch on a movie screen but I can't stand reading about them for some reason.)

Maark Abbott

I think I have another one.

When The Aeronaut's Windlass by Jim Butcher came out, I bought it right away and tried to read it. I read all of Codex Alera in a week and I tore through all the Dresden Files books in a summer or so. Plus, you know, I want to support an author who is from my hometown and went to the same high school as I did.

But I just couldn't get into that book at the time. I tried again yesterday and am pretty much losing interest after about two chapters, again. There is a lot else out there that I think I'd rather be reading, so I'm probably just going to give this up.

(I don't like protracted airship battles of any kind, whether in the atmosphere of a planet or in space. They are fun to watch on a movie screen but I can't stand reading about them for some reason.)
Ah, see, my favourite game of all time on balance is Skies of Arcadia, so I lapped up Aeronaut's Windlass like it was cream for a cat.