Post your own Top 25 Best Fantasy Books

Discussion in 'Fantasy' started by Alucard, Feb 6, 2015.

1. Alucard

Alucard In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge! Staff Member

The need for this presented itself. Post your version of top 25, elaborate your choices and have fun with it.
    I'll wait another 5-10 years until I feel I have read enough to make one.​

[​IMG]

BFB forum members' Top 25 Best Fantasy Books

kenubrion
    Cyphone
    moonspawn
    Griffin
    Fatal Rose
    sopranosfan
    Jon Snow
    ★ ofer Part I & Part II
    rudyjuly2
    Annomander Matt
    lyraseven
    Mohammed Al Mulla
    Darwin
    jwertz19
    Fiction Fan 101
    ABatch
    Skul-Man
    ★ Amaryllis List I & List II
    Boreas
    Sparrow
    ★ Silvion Night Part I & Part II
    Derk of Derkholm
    Juergen Schulze
    Bridgefour
    David Sims
    Placida
    ExTended
    Zyodes
    Peat

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2017 at 2:25 PM
  2. ReguIa

ReguIa Journeyed there and back again

Same goes for me. I am pretty certain the Mistborn trilogy will be there though. As well as a few of the Dresden books.

3. Boreas

Boreas Journeyed there and back again Staff Member

There's already a sticky thread created by @Danica for this purpose: the Listverse, where you can make any kind of list you want with however many examples (10, 15, 25, etc), so this one seems a bit redundant.

4. Alucard

Can you explain your choices in listverse? I don't know.
    In listverse thread you can post link to any list, it doesn't have to be top 25, so this thread is a bit more specific.
    If people want to post a listverse top 25 then link here, or post here directly, both is fine. Plus it's nice if it's here because it's all in one place. You dont have to link anything.
    Up to you of course.

5. Boreas

Yep. @Sneaky Burrito and some others gave explanations on their choices.
    Yep, @Jon Snow posted his 'top fantasy series' list, 'top 20 fantasy' list and a 'top 10 stand-alone' list. Essentially, any kind of list you want, including a top 25. Since there's already quite a few lists there, it kinda makes it easier to have them in one spot to check out than having to shuffle between two threads.

6. Alucard

Lets just see if there's enough interest from other forum members to post here as some people have already said they want to.

Good to know.

7. Jakyro

Jakyro Ran bridges next to Kaladin

I want to but I haven't read enough fantasy to make one. It will at least take me 2015 to be possible to make a top 10

8. João Ribeiro

João Ribeiro Journeyed there and back again

I should do the same... but I'll give it a go anyway during the weekend.

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. kenubrion

kenubrion Journeyed there and back again

I keep a list of favorites and this may be more than 25 and it also may be incomplete anyway. No elaboration, this was enough work. The order is random and I don't pick a favorite in any series. And I see I'm the only person complying with your wish anyway so...
    Malazan-Erikson
    LOTR-some guy
    The Hobbit-him again
    Lyonesse-Vance
    Crown of Stars-Kate Eliott
    Heroes Die-Stover
    A Game of Universe-Nylund
    All of Abercrombie-can't pick just one or two
    Riyria Revelations-Sullivan
    Deed of Paksannarion-Moon
    Stormlight Archives-both
    The Macht Trilogy-Kearney
    Night Angel trilogy-Weeks
    Dread Empire-Cook
    Black Company-Cook
    Farseer trilogy-Hobb
    Liveship trilogy-Hobb
    Fool's Errand trilogy-Hobb
    Man of His Word/Handful of Men-Duncan
    Amber chronicles-Zelazny
    Wardstone trilogy-Mathias
    Dagger and Coin series-Abraham
    Kingdoms of Thorn and Bone-Keyes
    Sword of Shadows series-Jones
    The Book of Words-Jones
    Discworld-Pratchett
    The Thousand Name/Shadow Campaigns-Wexler
    Once and Future King-White
    Blood Song-Ryan
    Red Knight-Cameron
    Waylander trilogy-Gemmell
    Drenai Series-Gemmell
    Throne of Bones-Day
    Blood Steel & Fire-Batchelder
    As Flies to Wanton Boys-Batchelder
    New World-White
    Winds of the Forelands series-Coe
    Polgara the Sorceress-Eddings
    The Belgariad-Eddings
    The Swan's War series-Russell
    Monarchies of God series-Kearney
    Kingkiller
    ASOIAF
    King's Blades series-Duncan
    The Grim Company series-Luke Scull

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2016
  10. Boreas

Damn. That's what I call an immediate double-down.

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. Alucard

Awww, but that's the best part!

12. kenubrion

kenubrion Journeyed there and back again

I just want to thank everyone for participating with me.

Or as John said after the live session on top of the Apple building that marked the end of the Beatles, "On behalf of the group I want to say thanks for the audition."

• Like Like x 1
  13. Cyphon

Cyphon Ran bridges next to Kaladin

I'll give this a shot but only for ongoing series. Not too easy to compare completed works to stuff where you are still missing a bulk of the story.

1. The Stormlight Archive (Brandon Sanderson) - I can forgive a lot of things if you introduce an exciting magic system and use it well and Sanderson delivers in spades on that front. However, Sanderson doesn't need forgiveness for a lot of things. I like almost everything about this series so far including the fact that it is going to be HUGE. I love dying into big projects like this and can't wait for the next book. Equally as impressive so far is that he is delivering 1000 pagers that never seem to drag for me.

2. The Lighbringer Series (Brent Weeks) - It took me a little bit to get into the first book but once I got going I didn't want to stop and still don't. This is another one where there just isn't much I can think of to complain about. Interesting magic system, fun characters to follow and an interesting plot.

3. Gentlemen Bastard Series (Scott Lynch) - I hate to keep repeating myself but damn, I think I have the same things to say for all of my favorites. What is especially great about this one is that it isn't the standard magic system and such but still maintains the fun action and interesting plot. The first book in this series may be one I considered one of the top fantasy books period.

4. ASoIaF (Martin) - I don't think this needs much explaining. Sadly A Dance with Dragons was a letdown which moves this down the list but I still have faith we are in for some nice treats. He really needs to get this stuff finished because if he dies without finishing I will kill myself and hunt him down to get answers.

5. The Demon Cycle (Peter V Brett) - Outstanding first book really draws you into this series. It has been downhill since with some especially bad characterization in the third book but I am still so interested in the happenings that I eagerly anticipate the 4th book.

6. The Kingkiller Chronicles (Patrick Rothfuss) - This would probably be higher but I am really out of touch with the series since it has been so long since I read the last book. So while I know it is great I have staled on it a bit during the wait.

7. The Dresden Files (Jim Butcher) - These books are so fun to read but recently I have found them to be a little bit repetitive in ways. Maybe because there are just so many.

8. Alex Verus Series (Benedict Jacka) - Short, quickly paced and fun rides. Big issue for me is that due to the length there isn't a ton of depth to really dive into and get excited about.

9. The Red Queens War (Mark Lawrence) - I liked his last trilogy a good bit and this had a strong first book. It might be higher but with only 1 book of stuff to think about there isn't a huge eagerness for the next installment like with some of the others.

10. The Allow of Law (Brandon Sanderson) - I haven't actually read this yet but it is Sanderson and I like everything he does. I know the 2nd book is coming fairly soon too. Looking forward to both.

14. ReguIa

ReguIa Journeyed there and back again

I adore this series. I'm a little surprised though by how many I've noticed seem to think of these as fun, easy ''popcorn blockbusters'' with no substance reads. I agree they are short, fun and easy reads, but for me they have more depth than a lot of other big stuff I've read. It's been more than half a year since I caught up with the series, and I read them all over a period of 14 months. Quite a long time, but I still remember almost everything about them. There are so many great scenes that I still remember bright as day. Hell I even remember conversations and entire passages that I just loved.
    Thinking about everything Dresden's been through make me smile as well as feeling sad. The books deal with morals, responsibility, right and wrong, good vs evil, grey characters, that good choices and actions can lead to devastating consequences. Learning to live with those consequences. To keep fighting and never back down. The works. All this without feeling preachy. We get to see and experience it all through Harry over so far, what. 10-15 years?

I feel the books already hold sentimental value to me. Not many books can get me to shed tears, but seriously some scenes in this series has hit me right in the heart. I plan to reread them, I don't know when, that depends on how far of Peace Talks is. But I have a feeling the reread will be even more emotional, because at all the low points I'm going to know it will get even worse for Harry down the road.

• Like Like x 2
  15. moonspawn

moonspawn Journeyed there and back again

I haven't really read enough to make a Moonspawn's official top 25 list but as of now my list would consist of these novels.

Malazan
    Realm of the Elderlings
    Black Company
    Lord of the Rings
    The Scar
    Perdido Street Station
    Gormenghast
    Zothique by Clark Ashton Smith
    Flat Earth series by Tanith Lee
    Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell by Susanna Clarke
    Worm Ouroboros by E.R. Eddison
    aSoIaF - the only reason I would put this on the top 25 list is because of its influence. The fact its written primary for entertainment value is problematic.

I might be forgetting something but out of all the fantasy novels I've read these are the only ones I would be on a top 25 list. I could put Mistborn on here but that would be my own personal and emotional bias. Mistborn and any book from Sanderson for that matter is too lacking in depth to put on a list like this.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2016
  16. sopranosfan

sopranosfan Journeyed there and back again

Why is a book written primarily for entertainment a problem? At the end of the day that is the most important aspect of a book. Now I agree that something that expands or challenges you while entertaining is great; there is nothing wrong with just enjoying a good story and the first three books of ASOIAF are some of the most enjoyable books I have ever read and the last two are good to very good.

• Like Like x 1
  17. moonspawn

moonspawn Journeyed there and back again

There's nothing wrong with entertaining. I agree entertainment is highly, highly important. If you're not entertained whats the point? But at the same time if a novel does not challenge you, if there are not several ways to interpret it then what is the point? People like crappy books simply because they found something entertaining in them.

18. Cyphon

Cyphon Ran bridges next to Kaladin

I don't see how it being challenging is any more valuable than entertaining. I could read a book in another language and it would be one helluva challenge but that wouldn't necessarily make the book good or worth reading. I guess the same goes for interpretation. Most people will have different interpretations than others on almost everything they read. And I would say you also have to consider author intent. Did the author write something intentionally to leave it open for interpretation or did they simply forget to tie up a loose end or option c, couldn't figure out how they wanted to answer their own writing?

And lastly to bring back the whole entertainment thing. Any author who isn't writing say a history or biography for example, has to keep some entertainment in mind because if you aren't keeping the reader engaged and interested they won't finish your books anyway.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. afa

afa Journeyed there and back again

What magic system? It's been a while since I read the first two books (and I haven't read the third) but I actually don't remember there being magic in them. I guess I'm forgetting something?

It's Alloy, not Allow. ;) Haha..

I actually enjoyed that typo for the simple reason that it happens to me all the time. For some reason, when I type The Alloy of Law, it comes out The Allow of Law. I don't know, maybe it's something to do with the alliteration in the title? Because you know the second word is 'law' it makes you write the first one with a 'w' as well? Either way, it's good to know that it's not just me.

20. Hand of Fear

Hand of Fear Journeyed there and back again

Perhaps magic system is the wrong term, there's magic in the book but not a lot. Remember The Bondsmagi of Karthain ?