Post your own Top 25 Best Fantasy Books

It's strange. You've used exactly the right trigger words that would normally have me up and off to purchase Mistborn (a Campbell reference will usually entice me), but I must have some mental blockage with Sanderson, because I'm still hesitating.

I have no problems with archetypes and tropes (caveat being that they should be presented marginally well). They are all there is, despite the multitude of twists that one comes up with in an attempt to refresh the jaded audience with its ever increasing tolerance for the same high. I have a great deal of respect for anyone who can play adroitly with the monomyth, whether deconstructing it with some pizzazz (like you say Sanderson seems to do) or playing it out in its distilled form (à la Tolkien or Lucas). Your description has elicited more of an interest on my side, so I'll be trying to keep an open mind with regards to Mistborn (despite the aforesaid blockage).

Isn't that great when it happens? That last time it occurred to me was with Stephenson's "Anathem". I had no idea what it was about. I wasn't even aware of the book until I saw it in a bookstore. I knew it was science fiction, but I've thought the same of two of his previous books I've picked up and they ended up not being so (Stephenson writes nearly as much non-SF as the former). For me, it was a very positive experience.

Have you read Carey's "Lucifer"? It was a very good spin off series from Gaiman's even more excellent "Sandman" comic (following a unique plot twist form his "Seasons of Mists" arc) where the Devil (with the proverbial may-care attitude) ekes out a living on the mundane plane after having suffered an existential crisis.

As for Joyce, I was aware of his lamentable passing. That had prompted me to pick up more of his works, specifically "Indigo" which I still haven't done, and I'll now add "Some Kind of Fairy Tale" to the list. I don't need much encouragement to read Graham Joyce.

"The future is already here - it's just not very evenly distributed." - William Gibson. Actually, your description makes it sound very much like science fiction to me. I'm looking forward to reading it.
Even if I never read anything Sanderson has done I would have to recommend the Stormlight Archive.

MorteTorment

Hired Nicomo Cosca, famed soldier of fortune
Consider this a placeholder list until I can name 25 books that I at least can give a 4/5

In other words, please don't create a hyperlink for this.

5 star books:

1-3 The Night Angel Trilogy
4. The Acts of Caine 1: Heroes Die(need to read the rest)
5.-6 Magic Ex Libris Book 1-2(need to read the rest
7. The Dresden Files 1
8-9. The Dresden Files 1 and 4
10. ShadowDance 1

S. K. Inkslinger

Will likely be killed by a Lannister soon
At the moment:
1. The Stormlight Archives
2. The Kingkiller Chronicles
3. A Song of Ice and Fire
4. The Mistborn series (and the Wax and Wayne series)
5. The Night Angel trilogy

That's all for me for now. :)