Post your own Top 25 Best Fantasy Books

It's strange. You've used exactly the right trigger words that would normally have me up and off to purchase Mistborn (a Campbell reference will usually entice me), but I must have some mental blockage with Sanderson, because I'm still hesitating.

I have no problems with archetypes and tropes (caveat being that they should be presented marginally well). They are all there is, despite the multitude of twists that one comes up with in an attempt to refresh the jaded audience with its ever increasing tolerance for the same high. I have a great deal of respect for anyone who can play adroitly with the monomyth, whether deconstructing it with some pizzazz (like you say Sanderson seems to do) or playing it out in its distilled form (à la Tolkien or Lucas). Your description has elicited more of an interest on my side, so I'll be trying to keep an open mind with regards to Mistborn (despite the aforesaid blockage).

Isn't that great when it happens? That last time it occurred to me was with Stephenson's "Anathem". I had no idea what it was about. I wasn't even aware of the book until I saw it in a bookstore. I knew it was science fiction, but I've thought the same of two of his previous books I've picked up and they ended up not being so (Stephenson writes nearly as much non-SF as the former). For me, it was a very positive experience.

Have you read Carey's "Lucifer"? It was a very good spin off series from Gaiman's even more excellent "Sandman" comic (following a unique plot twist form his "Seasons of Mists" arc) where the Devil (with the proverbial may-care attitude) ekes out a living on the mundane plane after having suffered an existential crisis.

As for Joyce, I was aware of his lamentable passing. That had prompted me to pick up more of his works, specifically "Indigo" which I still haven't done, and I'll now add "Some Kind of Fairy Tale" to the list. I don't need much encouragement to read Graham Joyce.

"The future is already here - it's just not very evenly distributed." - William Gibson. Actually, your description makes it sound very much like science fiction to me. I'm looking forward to reading it.
Even if I never read anything Sanderson has done I would have to recommend the Stormlight Archive.

MorteTorment

Hired Nicomo Cosca, famed soldier of fortune
Consider this a placeholder list until I can name 25 books that I at least can give a 4/5

In other words, please don't create a hyperlink for this.

5 star books:

1-3 The Night Angel Trilogy
4. The Acts of Caine 1: Heroes Die(need to read the rest)
5.-6 Magic Ex Libris Book 1-2(need to read the rest
7. The Dresden Files 1
8-9. The Dresden Files 1 and 4
10. ShadowDance 1

S. K. Inkslinger

Will likely be killed by a Lannister soon
At the moment:
1. The Stormlight Archives
2. The Kingkiller Chronicles
3. A Song of Ice and Fire
4. The Mistborn series (and the Wax and Wayne series)
5. The Night Angel trilogy

That's all for me for now. :)

alicia

Warded demons with Arlen
Old thread but a good reference source so I'll join in.

1. Pern series by Anne McCaffrey
2. Amber series by Roger Zelazny
3. Rebel of the Sands series by Alwyn Hamilton
4. Goblin series by Jaq D. Hawkins
5. Songs of Ice and Fire series by George R.R. Martin
6. Time Shifters series by Shanna Lauffey
7. Her Majesty's Dragon by Naomi Novik
8. The Crystal Cave (and subsequent series books) by Mary Stewart
9. Thieves World (first 3 books) edited by Robert Aspirin
10. The Hobbit & The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien
11. Discworld series by Terry Pratchett, especially the Guards series and the Death series

List to be continued as more occur!

rudyjuly2

Journeyed there and back again
Well I updated my list. Might have missed some books but it was very incomplete from when I first wrote it. If I re-read things I'm sure my scores might be different or the order slightly different. Oh well. A good thread to have!

Peat

Well I updated my list. Might have missed some books but it was very incomplete from when I first wrote it. If I re-read things I'm sure my scores might be different or the order slightly different. Oh well. A good thread to have!
Just read your list and first I thought you'd decided to do a 97 book list starting from a bottom and I was super impressed.

Then I realised it was less hardcore than that, but still an impressive effort. Think I'm going to update mine now. Did much change for you?

rudyjuly2

Just read your list and first I thought you'd decided to do a 97 book list starting from a bottom and I was super impressed.

Then I realised it was less hardcore than that, but still an impressive effort. Think I'm going to update mine now. Did much change for you?
lol. I just decided to list almost everything. Sometimes reading about books you don’t like helps just as much. The biggest things were I needed to simply update stuff I had read since that post maybe 3 years ago?

Cyphon

I still haven’t read the Scott Lynch Gentleman Bastard series and the Demon Cycle. Need to bump those up on my to read list. Are they both near finished or never ending series?
Demon Cycle is finished and even has a few smaller books with side stories thrown in. Gentleman Bastard you can add to the list with ASoIaF and Kingkiller Chronicles, it isn't ever going to finish. The author suffers from depression (I believe) and goes into major writing slumps because of it.

And just to note I one of the only people who rate Demon Cycle so highly lol.

Khartun

This is harder than you would think.

1. Malazan Book of the Fallen - Stephen Erikson
2. Lord of the Rings - J.R.R. Tolkien
3. The First Law and the stand alones - Joe Abercrombie
4. Black Company - Glen Cook
5. The Dark Tower - Stephen King
6. The Faithful and the Fallen - John Gwynne
7. Memory, Sorrow and Thorn - Tad Williams
8. Chronicles of the Black Gate - Phil Tucker
9. Stormlight Archive - Brandon Sanderson
10. Path to Ascendancy - Ian C. Esselmont
11. The Stand - Stephen King
12. Demon Cycle - Peter Brett
13. Novels of the Malazan Empire - Ian C. Esselmont
13. Riftwar - Raymond Feist
13. Farseer - Robin Hobb
15. Coldfire Trilogy - C.S. Friedman
16. Ready Player One - Ernest Cline
17. Silo Series - Hugh Howey
18. Kingkiller Chronicles - Pat Rothfuss
19. Frontlines - Marko Kloos
20. The Fold - Peter Clines
21. Commonwealth Saga - Peter F. Hamilton
22. The Chronicles of the Unhewn Throne - Brian Stavely
23. Acts of Caine - Matthew Stover
24. Immortal Treachery - Allan Batchelder
25. Nevernight Chronicle - Jay Kristoff

Honorable Mentions:

Necroscope - Brian Lumley
Legend of Zero - Sara King
Greatcoats - Sebastien de Castell
Library at Mount Char - Scott Hawkins
Tales of the Ketty Jay - Chris Wooding
Most of Dan Simmons' books
Iron Druid - Kevin Hearne
Dresden Files - Jim Butcher
The Martian - Andy Weir

Last edited:

Peat

My update got chewed up by my browser crashing but I found I was moving a lot of books around.

I'd also love to do kinda everything and maybe I will, but damn that'd be a project.

afa

8. Chronicles of the Black Gate - Phil Tucker
Fascinating. I'd only come to hear of this series recently on Reddit. I didn't expect a self-published series to make it to a Top 25 list, and that too at a position as high as #8, above several well-known authors/series. It's really that good, huh?

Khartun

Fascinating. I'd only come to hear of this series recently on Reddit. I didn't expect a self-published series to make it to a Top 25 list, and that too at a position as high as #8, above several well-known authors/series. It's really that good, huh?
I really enjoyed it. They are all on sale right now for $0.99. You should grab a couple.