Post your own Top 25 Best Fantasy Books

Mohammed Al Mulla

Owns a Ring of Power
Oww.. I go it now.. it is because you consider Morning Star and Knights of Dark Renown parts of the series???? I really never looked into them that way.. for me they are standalone novels.. thats because they are not related at all to the Drenai.. or maybe I was not able to sense the relation! what supports my opinion is Wikipedia under the following link
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Gemmell

kenubrion

Journeyed there and back again
Oww.. I go it now.. it is because you consider Morning Star and Knights of Dark Renown parts of the series???? I really never looked into them that way.. for me they are standalone novels.. thats because they are not related at all to the Drenai.. or maybe I was not able to sense the relation! what supports my opinion is Wikipedia under the following link
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Gemmell
It wasn't my order but the order at the Gemmell Award site that put Dark Renown and Morningstar at the beginning. So you see my question about where to start. I have already read the Waylander series, somehow got to them a couple years ago an didn't follow through with the rest of the series.

Thank you for your responses and advice!

Mohammed Al Mulla

Owns a Ring of Power
I noticed that in the website that you provided ^^ but still i cannot understand putting these 2 among the drenai saga.. Many people would even separate Waylander from the series if not for a single event (or charater - dont want to spoil things here i am not a spoiler of fun ^^) that appears at Hero in the Shadow and Winter Warriors which is actually bridging between the 2 series.. Otherwise.. They could be actually separate ^^

jwertz19

Philosophizes with Kellhus
I will give it a whirl, although I will just do ten for now.

10. Redwall - I first read Redwall 18 years ago. I can say without a doubt, that this book started my obsession with reading and in particular the fantasy genre.
9. Stardust- Is it fantasy? Kinda, kinda not. But I feel it belongs on my list. One of the best stories I have ever had the pleasure of reading.
8. The Unhewn Throne- The Emperor's Blades and The Providence of Fire, are great. The Last Moral bond can't come soon enough.
7. The Wheel of Time- I just can't help myself.
6. The Lord of the Rings- I will read these classics many more times in my lifetime, and it will never get old
5. The First Law trilogy- Joe Abercrombie this "low" on my list may be blasphemy, but I just cant put it above the others on my list.
4. The Last Wish- I love the world of the Witcher. Geralt is one of the best characters ever imagined.
3. The Stormlight Archive- I have a feeling that when this 10 volume work is completed it will be no. 1
2. The Mistborn trilogy - Sanderson is a master world builder, and I would kiss him on his chubby Mormon face if I wasn't so scared of jail time.
1. The Farseer trilogy - I loved this story so much I actually proposed marriage to Robin Hobb on Twitter a few weeks ago... She didn't respond.

ofer

Sanderson is a master world builder, and I would kiss him on his chubby Mormon face if I wasn't so scared of jail time.
That's funny.

It brings me to a long-time conclusion...I always thought Brandon Sanderson looks like what Harry Potter would have looked when he would be 40:
BrandonSanderson.jpg 1101990920_400.jpg
;)

rudyjuly2

You thought it was boring? Hmm, I recommend you try to watch the trilogy sometime. Admittedly, it takes a while to get started, but from the end of the first movie onwards the trilogy is action-packed.
I wouldn't describe the LOTR movies as action packed. Certainly there are action heavy sequences but there are down times too. The movies are simply LONG. Some characters are less interesting/enjoyable than others as well (I don't care for scenes with Frodo or Golem personally). I am more into fantasy now than I was 15 years ago and enjoy the trilogy and own it on Blu Ray. But the extended versions are well over 3 hours each and that's a long time to sit and watch. Years ago the wife and I actually walked out of the theatre midway through the second movie just because it was taking so long and Golem was annoying. Years later and owning the trilogy you can see the beauty of the whole thing and appreciate it more but I would argue there are many parts of the movies that are not action packed (and there isn't anything wrong with that either). I think the first half of the second movie The Two Towers was the worst stretch for the trilogy imo. It centered on Golem and Frodo and didn't have a lot of action. The second disc was a lot more interesting and was action packed with Helm's Deep.

Fiction Fan 101

A farm boy with a sword
Top 25. This is a good exercise. And I am almost positive, this time, I am posting correctly. So here goes.
Almost anything by Diana Wynne Jones
Harry Potter series, of course
The Hobbit
A Storm of Swords
Gentlemen Bastards (good call @Darwin. Does the @ thing work on here?)
Hitchhiker's Guide
Stardust
American Gods
The Raven Cycle series
Practical Magic
Garden Spells
Chronicles of Narnia
His Dark Materials
Good Omens
Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell
The Magicians
The BFG :)
Kingkiller Chronicles (so far)
That *other* book I'm not allowed to mention on here
The Wrinkle in Times Books - I'm not sure if I'd like them today, but I used to love them.
LOTR
The Eyre Affair
Wee Free Men
Some of the Dresden Files
The Apothecary
Inkheart
Annnndddd I think that's well over 25, counting individual books in series.

Griffin

It's nice to guys (or girls) are posting your top 25s, but it might be even more interesting to state why you rank them so or why you love a peticular series ;)

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member

kenubrion

Fiction Fan 101

A farm boy with a sword
we.... have books that we are not allowed to speak off????????????????? O.O? mind to list them down to me??
you know.. you can't be too careful ^^
It's a joke, I was talking about my own book, it's called The Fantastic Fable of Peter Able. I've been trying to get the word out about it, as it just came out, and crossed the line. :blackeye: Now it will be know as the Book that Shall Not be Named.

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member

kenubrion

It's a joke, I was talking about my own book, it's called The Fantastic Fable of Peter Able. I've been trying to get the word out about it, as it just came out, and crossed the line. :blackeye: Now it will be know as the Book that Shall Not be Named.
I just bought The Fantastic Fable of Peter Able via my Kindle Unlimited membership. I like your sense of humor and I haven't laughed since Sir Terry of Pratchett became unfunny as his illness advanced.