Post your Phobia

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
Phobia - A phobia is a type of anxiety disorder, usually defined as a persistent fear of an object or situation in which the sufferer commits to great lengths in avoiding, typically disproportional to the actual danger posed, often being recognized as irrational [Wikipedia].

Do you guys have a phobia? It can be a common one, such as arachnophobia [fear of spiders] or an exotic one like anatidaephobia [the fear that somewhere in the world a duck/goose is watching you].

Do you have just the one phobia, such as acrophobia [a fear of heights] or a whole list of phobias, such as a crippling social phobia, where sufferers are afraid of engaging with other people, of going outside, of speaking etc.

I'll start: I've got mild acrophobia. A ladder I can stand on, but standing on anything above 5 meters gives me the creeps. Also, on tall buildings, I have the irrational fear that I just might... jump. You know, like an involuntary reaction to the gaping abyss. Got the same thing on train stations. Standing too close to the tracks gives me the creeps, as I'm afraid my brain will missfire, resulting in me jumping in front of a speeding train.

And a final phobia: I am afraid of/disgusted by... licking cloth. I know, it's totaly insane, but when I'm cleaning my face with a washing cloth for example I don't want that thing near my mouth because the feeling of cloth on my tongue is just , arghhhh Horrible! It absolutely disgusts me and frightens me. The crazy thing is, wghen I see someone else licking a piece of cloth or clothing, for example my daughter when I'm cleaning her face after a meal, I get totaly creeped out too. Weird stuff huh?

So now it's your turn. Don't let me be all weird by myself. What is your phobia?

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
Heights. I work on the 8th floor of a building and I keep my office blinds covering the window at all times. (20 years ago I went to the top of the Empire State Building but now? Not sure I would.)

Also, insects. Of all kinds. They are all creepy and disgusting. Even though I know some of them (like bees) are totally necessary.

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
I HATE the sound of people eating. If someone is chewing near me I literally have to stop myself from punching them in the face. I actually have to leave a room if someone starts eating a banana near me.

Sparrow

Journeyed there and back again
Seems a common fear is of heights?
Whatever the opposite of that is, I have. Love heights; get a slight thrill driving over a bridge of which we have many here in Jacksonville, used to go rock climbing in my younger days and have done several static-line jumps from a single engine plane from 3,000ft. Basically what paratroopers do, except we first had to step out on to a small metal platform while holding the wing strut, then jump. At the time I never had enough extra money to skydive though.
I have silly phobias, ones that I doubt even have a name... I have a ridiculous fear that the button holding up my pants might pop off (I'm not joking). I've sewn an extra button on all my cargo shorts, so if one fails... I have a backup.:) I have a fear of microwave ovens; I'll stick my food in, set the time, press the start button... and quickly leave the room. When I return to get my food out, I'll crack the door open (this is to release any residual microwaves so they won't enter my brain), then I feel it's safe and can calmly pull my meal out. And yes I know it's irrational, I know how microwave ovens work... but why not play it safe?
I don't mind the sound people make while eating... but the sound of ice in a glass cup drives me crazy!

Amaryllis

Crane flies.

These fucking things.

I had one crash into my face when I was really little and playing outside. And then it kept slamming itself against my face, apparently convinced that my face was its only obstacle to the promised land, until I ran screaming and retreated into my house. I can still fucking feel its wings hitting me, and its legs brushing all over my face.

Technically speaking, as adults, they are possibly the most harmless creature on earth. They don't bite, don't transmit diseases, can't hurt you in any way (except psychologically). Larva are apparently a lawn pest, but I don't even know what a baby crane fly looks like.

These are the harbingers of my nightmares. If I see one, I have to kill it (and I always look like a huge pussy doing it, because I really don't want them to touch me), or I have to leave.

They are the only thing I am afraid of. I have no fear of heights, or the dark, or tight spaces, or even of other animals that would make more sense to be afraid of. Big ass dog snarling and barking, straining at its leash, trying to get at me? I mean, I won't go up and kiss it (although I sometimes still address them like puppies, which seems to deeply confuse some of them to the point that they stop), but it doesn't even make my heart beat faster. This pack of wild dogs in Sarajevo, which had apparently attacked people before? Weren't going to stop me from getting breakfast. Don't tell me how to live my life. You aren't my dad, dogs. Did our frisbee just land uncomfortably close to a rattlesnake? Listen rattlesnake, I really want that frisbee back, so we can do this the easy way or the hard way. It's entirely possible I'm too laid back about danger sometimes.

But this? I will move out of my apartment.

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Crane flies.

These fucking things.

I had one crash into my face when I was really little and playing outside. And then it kept slamming itself against my face, apparently convinced that my face was its only obstacle to the promised land, until I ran screaming and retreated into my house. I can still fucking feel its wings hitting me, and its legs brushing all over my face.

Technically speaking, as adults, they are possibly the most harmless creature on earth. They don't bite, don't transmit diseases, can't hurt you in any way (except psychologically). Larva are apparently a lawn pest, but I don't even know what a baby crane fly looks like.

These are the harbingers of my nightmares. If I see one, I have to kill it (and I always look like a huge pussy doing it, because I really don't want them to touch me), or I have to leave.

They are the only thing I am afraid of. I have no fear of heights, or the dark, or tight spaces, or even of other animals that would make more sense to be afraid of. Big ass dog snarling and barking, straining at its leash, trying to get at me? I mean, I won't go up and kiss it (although I sometimes still address them like puppies, which seems to deeply confuse some of them to the point that they stop), but it doesn't even make my heart beat faster. This pack of wild dogs in Sarajevo, which had apparently attacked people before? Weren't going to stop me from getting breakfast. Don't tell me how to live my life. You aren't my dad, dogs. Did our frisbee just land uncomfortably close to a rattlesnake? Listen rattlesnake, I really want that frisbee back, so we can do this the easy way or the hard way. It's entirely possible I'm too laid back about danger sometimes.

But this? I will move out of my apartment.
I grew up on a farm, and during one month of the year (I think around May time) crane flies used to spawn all over my Dad's land, and I swear 90% of them thoughtit would be awesome to fly right into our house (which was at the top of a hill facing the breeding grounds). We'd been out ohe day and had left a load of windows open ... Must've been over 100 of the little fuckers making themselves at home. It's the stuff of (your) nightmares!

Amaryllis

I grew up on a farm, and during one month of the year (I think around May time) crane flies used to spawn all over my Dad's land, and I swear 90% of them thoughtit would be awesome to fly right into our house (which was at the top of a hill facing the breeding grounds). We'd been out ohe day and had left a load of windows open ... Must've been over 100 of the little fuckers making themselves at home. It's the stuff of (your) nightmares!
I would have set your house on fire.

Don't worry, dad. I'll build you a new one. And this time, I won't be so damned European about it, and I'll put screens on the fucking windows.

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
When I'm subjected to music that does trigger it I get an extremely powerful fight/flight/tharn response - it makes me want to either break the source or run from it but because that's socially unacceptable and impractical I end up just frozen, tensed and teeth grit and flinching as if preparing to be hit.
Wait, what!? You get that with almost every song? That must be a real pain, as everywhere you go you hear music. Can't go shopping, on a night out, to the cinema or even walk the street without hearing music. How do you cope?

I blame my sister for it, I think - she rarely owned more than one or two CDs at a time and would often play the exact. same. song. over and and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over, on loop, for months or years at a time. I think I put up with some song about a breakup for at least two years before snapping that one. Maybe it's responsible for all of my crazy. Maybe I'm actually in a padded cell screaming FUCK YOU YOU HO imagining this whole thing. That fucking song...
That's some Clockwork Orange stuff right there Lyra. Was there no way to stop your sis from doing this?

wakarimasen

apparently convinced that my face was its only obstacle to the promised land,
Not to laugh at your fears. But much chuckles from that...

I have the same fear as @Silvion Night about jumping from heights. Mine extends to other people jumping or falling from heights. I frequently dream about my kids falling of cliffs, makes me a little paranoid on cliff top walks.

I also have a mild fear that I'll die in a car crash because I'm picking my nose. It really would be the most shit tupping pointless way to go.

sopranosfan

My only phobia would probably be of death which became a lot worse when I became an atheist. Death was scary before but after it became terrifying to me. It is the biggest reason I don't talk about being an athEist with friends is because I don't want people to become atheist because religion was comforting.

khrm

Listens to The Unbeliever whine about life
Syringe.

Due to this, I avoid stray dogs and other animals.

Nuomer1

Phobia -
I'll start: I've got mild acrophobia. A ladder I can stand on, but standing on anything above 5 meters gives me the creeps. Also, on tall buildings, I have the irrational fear that I just might... jump. You know, like an involuntary reaction to the gaping abyss.
Yes, that description is horribly familiar! I am OK on our flat-roofed (single storey) garage, and can go four or five feet up a ladder that is resting on that roof - provided I don't have to go within a metre or so of the edge of the roof, so if the ladder starts to slip I have enough garage roof to jump down onto before I have to face the additional two and a half metres or so to the ground.

On the other hand, I have friends . . . one is an arachnophobe. Such a serious arachnophobe that on one occasion we were doing about 70 mph on a narrow-laned dual carriageway bridge in heavy traffic (nowhere, like absolutely NOWHERE to go!) when a spider began to descend from the sun visor towards my front seat passenger's lap. Under those road conditions, said front seat passenger tried to climb over into the back seat . . . .
We survived, but I wasn't happy about it!

kenubrion

,I developed a fear of being in a smallish boat in the ocean, which began after our first cruise in the Caribbean during a storm which produced huge waves that we could only see from lightning strikes. I imagined myself out there, at the mercy of the sea, with waves way above our heads.

So I sailed a 47 foot catamaran from the British Virgin Islands to Belize, a 1600-mile trip non-stop in 10 days, with three other guys. That trip was blessed with perfect weather but we still were entertained by 20 foot waves one day, passing from behind then ahead of us. We would look up at the waves coming from behind us, then being lifted up on top of the wave as it passed under us, then down into the trough again. Wasn't scary at all. Actually pretty cool. A couple years later we were sailing from Belize to Grand Cayman and the first night we got hit with a storm to rival the one that freaked me out so many years ago on the cruise ship, but this time I was in it, in a small by comparison boat, the 47 foot catamaran again. Didn't bother me a bit, but it might have if I could have seen those waves. Being night, we couldn't see a thing. Our jib and mainsails were shredded, and we limped into Grand Cayman a couple days later on the inboard diesel engines.

Anyway, no more fear of huge waves in a storm at sea.

l3gacy

Dr. Awesomesauce
Staff member
I HATE the sound of people eating. If someone is chewing near me I literally have to stop myself from punching them in the face. I actually have to leave a room if someone starts eating a banana near me.
Me too, but that's more of a pet peeve than a phobia.

Mine isn't an official medical phobia I don't think, but I am horrible around needles. If I can see the needle, or have to have blood drawn, I have to take anxiety medication and lay down to do it. I have blacked out because someone tried to take blood while I was in a sitting position. My blood pressure bottomed out, I started pouring sweat from every pore, and I passed out. They had to wake me with smelling salts and send me home.

Kalavan

Heights for me too, and a quite severe case. I don't mind anything below 2-2,5 metres, but above that height I froze completely, and I have to force my uncooperative legs to move away before they gave out. Heck, sometimes even videogames such as Dark Souls or AssCreed are enough to give me some dizziness

Sotiris

Knows the real name of Lower Corte
My only phobia would probably be of death which became a lot worse when I became an atheist. Death was scary before but after it became terrifying to me. It is the biggest reason I don't talk about being an athEist with friends is because I don't want people to become atheist because religion was comforting.
Exactly that. I have no fear of heights, of insects or birds. But when I think of death (not the passing though, but when I try to perceive what the fuck happens when you die) and my only answer for the afterlife is the "Big Black Nothing" I just freeze. So death is my fear.

paul james

Firsthanded the newest Caine adventure
Insects and heights. The former makes my skin crawl and can leave me frozen. The latter is just that horrible feeling of jeez this is high.

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
For the people with a phobia for insects: what would happen if an insect popped up whilse you are driving in your car. would you panic or would you try to ignore it?

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
If it was a huge spider I'd slam the brakes on and jump out as fast as I can!

I have a photo of my worst ever spider experience. This little fucker ran across my foot on holiday a few years ago which almost resulted in heart failure.
FB_IMG_1452366663897.jpg