Providence of Fire - Brian Staveley

Jon Snow

No Power in the Verse can stop me
Staff member
9.3, It is only Jan and I've only read 3 2015 published books, but this one is GREAT! It will probably stay in the Top 10 all year and possibly in the Top 3.

It is better than book 1 and every chapter is exciting, something happens.

Adare...that one....jesus...hope Brian doesn't go the Leesha route with her.

Griffin

Journeyed there and back again
It will probably stay in the Top 10 all year and possibly in the Top 3.
That good? I wonder, how would you rate the first book? I personally liked the first book, but it wasn't anywhere near top tier, so I'm curious as to what rating that got from you.

Last edited:

Jon Snow

Staff member
That good? I wonder, how would you rate the first book? I personally liked to first book, but it wasn't anywhere near top tier, so I'm curious as to what rating that got from you.
I really can't remember all the nitty gritty of the first book, but I don't remember it captivating me. It was interesting for sure. I think like many first books, it was suffering because it had to introduce characters, the world etc. It was probably like a 7.5.

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member
Haven't read any of 2015 releases yet, but this one will probably be the first one I do. Will check in here when that happens.
Just wanted to say great idea creating this subforum. By the end of the year we'll have some significant BFB stats on 2015 books. Thumbs up.

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
That good? I wonder, how would you rate the first book? I personally liked to first book, but it wasn't anywhere near top tier, so I'm curious as to what rating that got from you.
That's kind of how I feel, too, about the first book. I think I was a little bored with the formula. But that gets changed up and I'd definitely agree book 2 was better. I'm not willing to say it'll be in my top 10 of the year, at this point, because there's so much of the year left to come. But I suppose it *could* end up there.

Griffin

I'm rather quite curious now, because I know last year he acrredited this book for its potential and I'm guessing it lives up more to that potential so I'm just going to start this book as I've finished City of Stairs.

Jon Snow

Staff member
That's kind of how I feel, too, about the first book. I think I was a little bored with the formula. But that gets changed up and I'd definitely agree book 2 was better. I'm not willing to say it'll be in my top 10 of the year, at this point, because there's so much of the year left to come. But I suppose it *could* end up there.
Got a rating?

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
Despite the fact that I spend 99% of my waking hours on Amazon (or perhaps because of that), I am reluctant to hand out numbers without lengthy blocks of text. But I'll think about it.

Haven

Became a Faceless Man
Ehhh a solid 7.

He's taking the series in a direction...but I don't know what that direction is exactly. The fact that random characters seem to be becoming huge parts of the plot is more than a little suspicious.

Also I'm not entirely sold on Adare's role yet...it still feels somewhat stereotypical.

btkong

Staff member
Loved this book overall. It hit all the right buttons for me. A solid 8.5 - 9 for me. This could be one of my top 10 reads this year, but seeing as it's only the end of January, that's a bold statement to make. Better than the first book.

Griffin

Finished this last night. It is big step up from TEB, and though there remain a few problems
Adare for one. I sometimes have trouble believing this character, shes all over the place.
Kaden's strange change of heart (destroying the empire, changing it into a republic. Is this a ruse or does he mean it? I'm curious.
it is a good book. The prose was more fluent and engaging. I read the last 300 pages in 2 days, a really high pace for me. I give it a solid 8.

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
there remain a few problems
Agree with both items you listed under the spoiler tag. I still found the book enjoyable, and I still think Adare was more interesting than in the first book, but I don't feel like the second thing you listed was properly set up by the author. Unless there is an ulterior motive that I'm not seeing.

Griffin

I still think Adare was more interesting than in the first book
I agree, all the things she went through are interesting, but as a character she isn't very consistent.

I don't feel like the second thing you listed was properly set up by the author. Unless there is an ulterior motive that I'm not seeing.
I hope this will be cleared up in the third book (Is this a trilogy?), because if not I find it not believable.

Last edited:

GreyMouser

I thoroughly enjoyed this book.

I feel that Adare is a decent character but just want to see her fail miserably, in spectacular fashion.

I would rate this book a strong 8.7.

rudyjuly2

I have really enjoyed the first two books. However I felt the first book was a bit better than the second. While I can understand some feeling the first book was too stereotypical (monk training, Mr. Myagi) I really enjoyed it and the mystery. Adare gets a much bigger role in the second book and I like her character but do not love it.
Did not understand her stabbing her brother Valyn at the end
I felt Kaden's role was a disappointment in the second book. He doesn't do much early on and this story line about the future of the Empire wasn't gripping down the stretch. I really enjoy Valyn and all the side characters associated with him.

Shorty

Philosophizes with Kellhus
Almost half a year is over and from the books I've read so far, this was one of the best.
I'd rate it 8 may be even 8,5. I liked all protagonists - they all have their interesting stories and angles (even Adare) and I'm very interested in the next book.