Providence of Fire - Brian Staveley

Danica

Queen of the boards!
Staff member
I remember loving it but i just went back and read all my posts on it and it turns out i didn't love it the whole way through. 7/10 from me

Bridgefour

Hung out on a briar with Honorable Jorg
I love this series so far. I couldn't put the first 2 down. It can be morose as hell and quite depressing at times, but it's just so well paced, plotted and written that it's in my top 10. 9/10 for both

Kalavan

Journeyed there and back again
Just read the two books of this series in a row.

The book is bigger and better than the fist one in nearly every way: a more epic and dynamic story, lots of plot twists and huge revelations, better female and side characters – with Adare being the exception, I sort of liked her mix of stubbornness, ambition and naivety, but the result was indeed a bit inconsistent.

Inconsistency of some characters that is the thing I didn’t like about the book, the plot felt at times forced, with several incoherent decision (from Valyn as well as from Adare), or with new characters jumping out of nowhere (in the Kaden’s storyline) only to steer the plot in the direction wished from the author. The first book suffered from this as well, but this time the problem is even more evident.

Anyway the book is utterly engrossing, and the ending is amazing

In the end I would say 8/10, up from the 7 of the first book, I’m eagerly awaiting the third book, but then I hope to see something completely new and different from this author. Or at least something more thoroughly planned and with much less naïve characters

Last edited:

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
A bit late to the party, but I'd probably give this 7/10. I preferred the first book I think, it was more exciting .. This one dragged its feet a bit too much at times. Agree with others with regards the decisions made by some of the MCs. Valyn was the only one who had a plan and stuck with it. Staveley didn't handle the other characters decision making processes very well imo.

Andrew.J

A bit late to the party, but I'd probably give this 7/10. I preferred the first book I think, it was more exciting .. This one dragged its feet a bit too much at times. Agree with others with regards the decisions made by some of the MCs. Valyn was the only one who had a plan and stuck with it. Staveley didn't handle the other characters decision making processes very well imo.
Agree.
I still don't understand why Adare stabbed Valyn, her personality is all over the place and it gets even worse in the Last Mortal Bond, at least where I'm currently at.
But I did enjoy the ending. How did you like it?

rudyjuly2

This one dragged its feet a bit too much at times.
This was my issue with Kaden in this book. His story was a lot more interesting in the original. I still enjoyed the second though. Have read 100 pages of LMB so far.

Totally agree Andrew. I've read the first 100 pages of LMB and Adare comes across as a nut job. For someone so intelligent her demeaner is hard to understand.

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Agree.
I still don't understand why Adare stabbed Valyn, her personality is all over the place and it gets even worse in the Last Mortal Bond, at least where I'm currently at.
But I did enjoy the ending. How did you like it?
It was good. The Gods being thrown into the fold is going to crank up the pace of the final book (hopefully!) .. and Valyn is quite obviously
Hull the God of assassins, darkness etc
which will be kinda cool ..

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Damn it Tom. That never occurred to me lol. I shouldn't have read your spoiler. But it makes sense. Now to find out if that's true...

(full disclaimer, I'm usually clueless)
You see to me it was so obvious that I'm not sure whether you're taking the piss out of me for pointing out the obvious! If not, then well, I'm feeling kinda smug for potentially working out a plot line, cos I'm usually clueless!

rudyjuly2

Nothing is obvious to me lol. I'm not mad though. Just joking as I did click on a spoiler. I am proud of myself for knowing the ending of the Red rising trilogy. :)

Does this mean all of that family line has a chance to be possessed by a young God? Is that the real reason ilTornja killed the father in the first place? It's been awhile since I read the first two books so I can't quite remember. Is adare possessed by something that explains her scars? Will Kaden be a target for the blank God or something? I am looking forward to finding out as I'm reading the final book. Adare is annoying imo.

Andrew.J

Nothing is obvious to me lol. I'm not mad though. Just joking as I did click on a spoiler. I am proud of myself for knowing the ending of the Red rising trilogy. :)

Does this mean all of that family line has a chance to be possessed by a young God? Is that the real reason ilTornja killed the father in the first place? It's been awhile since I read the first two books so I can't quite remember. Is adare possessed by something that explains her scars? Will Kaden be a target for the blank God or something? I am looking forward to finding out as I'm reading the final book. Adare is annoying imo.
I'm almost done with The Last Mortal Bond. They all are annoying. Kaden a little less so. I'm loving Gwenna though. She's been awesome so far.

Last edited:

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm almost done with The Last Mortal Bond. They all are annoying. Kaden has redeemed himself in the last chapter. Maybe. I'm loving Gwenna and her wing, though.
Can you use spoiler tags please if discussing the third book in a series in a thread dedicated to the second book! We all know that Kaden and Gwenna (and she has her own wing?) make it to the end now, thanks for that.

Andrew.J

Can you use spoiler tags please if discussing the third book in a series in a thread dedicated to the second book! We all know that Kaden and Gwenna (and she has her own wing?) make it to the end now, thanks for that.
God, I'm so sorry. Gwenna's wing is what remains of the wing after the battle at the end of the Providence of Fire. She's simply the most memorable and exciting character of the lot, hence Gwenna's wing. And Kaden has redeemed himself from his unbearable anoyingness in my eyes in the last chapter I've read, not the last chapter of the book. I thought these details were very inconsequential. Sorry again. :cat: