Providence of Fire

Danica

Queen of the boards!
Staff member
This isn't technically a book club. If i had have been more organised it would have.

Now answer me this people (@Jon Snow @Griffin @Haven and @Sneaky Burrito ) who have read the book. WHY THE FUCK IS KALADEN SO STUPID???

Why would he not listen to Tan and do something dumb? He has just left his cell and from what I can assume is going to fine the girl and use the ultimate evil guy to do it. So here is my thoughts. 1. I can appreciate writers who can write evil characters so much that I hate them and want to throw the book at the wall. 2. I can't appreciate writers who write such stupid shit i want to throw the book at the wall. I know Stavely has set kalden up so that he isn't quite monkish and so still can't totally rid himself of his emotions but I see absolutely no reason why he should risk his empire for a women he knows isn't what she seems. It is totally 100% dumb and it makes me want to just read the plot summary and not even finish the book. That is how angry I am right now. It has come to this not because of this one particular thing but many other significant character flaws (as I see them) to put the characters into danger and prolong the book.

Jon Snow

No Power in the Verse can stop me
Staff member
because he never felt like a king, all of that has been like erased from his being. The funny thing is, without reading the rest, you just think he's the ultimate evil guy. If you feel this way and have totally judged all of the characters wrong, then maybe Staveley has done something right. 1) the dude is not evil at all and Kaden's "heart" told him the right thing. 2) there are good guys in war and some of them have a higher sense of honour 3) the book pans out differently, just wait to see what he does later.
@Danica

Jon Snow

Staff member
That is such a retarded question. Don't lots of people in many books go and save people?
Maybe because being trapped in the temples and finally he meets someone after years that has feelings compelled him to do something?
Maybe because he knew she was going to get tortured for years, like the cestriium that is there? 15 years I think.

Jon Snow

Staff member
Yes, he didn't make the optimal play, but the optimal play wasn't guaranteed and his conscience was telling him something.

Haven

Became a Faceless Man
WHY THE FUCK IS KALADEN SO STUPID???
Kaden is so stupid because (a) he's internally trying to be a hero and (b) all the monk training doesn't really gel well with real life :D

Griffin

Journeyed there and back again
WHY THE FUCK IS KALADEN SO STUPID???
I have the exact same feeling and I do not really accept Jon Snow's explanation. About every other explanation is screaming that the girl and the Csestriim are enemies and especially the girl has a backstory that doesn't add up (which she changes too much) and she has those sudden cold clarity moments (feels like a schizophrenic). Nope, Kaden be stupid!

Jon Snow

Staff member
Why is it screaming that they are enemies? They are this long dead story. he's been fed none of these stories while up in the Monastery.

You know what Kaden sees? (@Dancia Kaladin is from Stormlight Archives ;)) He sees someone who has helped save his life on a few occassions. Someone who knows as little as him, as scared and as confused as himself. Then all he hears and sees is that she is being tortured. The other prisoner has been tortured for 15 years.

The Ishien to me and to Kaden, are a bunch of guys who have lost their minds (probably why Tan left and suggested for no one but him to return). What they want to do, doesn't seem like saving the world does it?

Danica

Queen of the boards!
Staff member
you're answering my question from the perspective of reading the book. I understand your answer now because I have just finished the book. This is why we do bookclubs and have chapter threads.

If the point is he is trained not to 'feel' things then the point can't be made he feels her rescue of him is more important than her odd behaviour.

anyway i'm done with the book now but i am grateful @Jon Snow for your answer because it made me continue to read it and @Griffin because it made me feel as though I wasn't going insane.

Danica

Queen of the boards!
Staff member
as yea I knew it wasn't kaladen but couldn't remember and knew you would get who i was talking about.

GreyMouser

Journeyed there and back again
My question after finishing the book, is why is Adare so lame?

What a little backstabbing (literally) beyotch!