Question for people who read audiobooks

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member
I never even knew people do this but I found out recently that some folks listen to their audiobooks on 2x speed for narration. They say normal speed puts them to sleep!
Seriously I didn't know this was the thing. So I tested it out.
1.25x.... is bit faster, but not bad, I could listen to it like this especially with books that are nothing more then brain candy, but I prefer 1x.
1.5x....I'm already missing words, its too fast. It doesn't convey the atmosphere at all.
2x....is like Chip and Dale voiced over my book. No I don't like this. How do people listen to this and manage to understand anything is beyond me.

I didn't continue on. I tried all this on audible app and there's 2.5x and 3x speed as well, but what's the point.
Do any of you do that? I know there's a few audiobook fans here.

sopranosfan

Journeyed there and back again
I tried 1.25 and I didn't enjoy it at all. It sounded pretty close to the original but it seemed to somehow take the drama out of it. I haven't even tried faster than 1.5 which was unbearable to me.

HeroineOfCanton

Downed a vial of metals
I tried 1.25 and I didn't enjoy it at all. It sounded pretty close to the original but it seemed to somehow take the drama out of it. I haven't even tried faster than 1.5 which was unbearable to me.
I pretty much agree with this. Slightly faster can be okay, but I wouldn't want to do it twice as fast. For the most part, the people who read audiobooks know what the hell they're doing, so why would I frak with that? Come to think of it, the one time I did speed up a story, it was as actor, not a professional book reader (because being an actor does not necessarily translate to good book reading). Like right now, I have a fantasy (Emperor's Blades) and a nonfiction (The Winter King) I'm listening to, both read by Simon Vance, and I wouldn't change what he's doing for anything. He's brilliant.

wakarimasen

Journeyed there and back again
I wouldn't even try this. I know I'd hate it. It's a bit like the whole speed reading thing. If you're that desperate to get through a book, why bother reading it? Just read a summary. Reading (and listening) are a pleasure, we should take our time with them. You don't stuff your face at a gourmet restaurant and run off with indigestion.
Sounds to me like the folk who do this are missing the point. It's probably just all one big dick waving contest for them about how much shit they can say they've got through.

Shorty

Philosophizes with Kellhus
Also tried x 1,25 on recent first book and I think there is not that big of a difference. Especially with a narrator who reads a little slow in the first place (Mathias Lühn in my case). Maybe I'll stick to it on occasion but I'm not sure. Also tried it a little bit faster for fun, but it's insane.

Axcellence

A farm boy with a sword
I listen to audiobooks, and I wouldn't listen to a high pitched narrator. Why people would do that willingly, is beyond me.

Maybe they follow a particular genre, and they are so used to it that they speed listen? Who knows.

PS, I do agree they can put you to sleep. That's why I put the earphones to my ears (when going to bed) , bookmark the point, and turn on the sleep timer. I am in lala land before the sleep timer kicks in.

Alucard

Staff member
Why people would do that willingly, is beyond me.
I think @wakarimasen hit the nail on the head. It's all a big dick waving contest.
The people in question are youtubers and they read primarily fantasy books just like we do. They do videos and reviews so I guess they have to keep the pace up so they have something to talk about.
Plus they are all on Goodreads, and goodreads has that yearly challenge, so they all set up really high number of books to read in a year. They put the pressure on themselves.
This year for example I decided to not do that challenge, and I find that I'm reading more then when I did the challenge in previous years. But I already knew I don't work well under pressure, my efficiency just crumbles. I know reading is not a job, but just knowing that I have a quota to fill was tripping me up.

Axcellence

A farm boy with a sword
@Alucard I just find the idea of the reading challenge absurd. Reading should be for joy, not some library length measuring contest.

I read 1-2 books a month. Sometimes more, sometimes less. There is no comp.

Alucard

Staff member
@Alucard I just find the idea of the reading challenge absurd. Reading should be for joy, not some library length measuring contest.
I read 1-2 books a month. Sometimes more, sometimes less. There is no comp.
Different strokes for different folks. I used to think reading was a solitary experience but now it becomes more and more a social one, because of all the social media like Goodreads, youtube, this forum!....etc etc
And sometimes people just want to see how much they can read. It's not a competition with somebody else.It a competition with oneself. That's why I did it for 2 years.
Before I did it I had no idea how much I've read, but now I know that on a good month I manage 4-5 books.