Quillifer by Walter Jon Williams

kenubrion

Journeyed there and back again
I am excited to tell about a new (October 3 2017) epic fantasy book called Quillifer and written by Walter Jon Williams. This apparently is the author's first foray into fantasy and it is brilliant. He is a very well known and lauded science fiction master. Quillifer tells the story of an 18 year old young man who is enjoying life fully as only an 18 year old young man can do, and is happily progressing as an apprentice lawyer. The world is similar to 17th century Europe in medieval times, complete with kings and queens and knights and royalty and the common folk. Quillifer, although not in any way royal other than having an excellent grasp of the law, interacts primarily with the upper classes, and his adventures always involve him putting himself into dangerous situations to aid those above him, and those adventures are many and varied. We see him progress from a self-satisfied rouge to higher stations, not intentionally but as consequences of his actions.

As befitting his reputation as a true wordsmith in his writings, Williams has created the most accurate medieval/middle ages dialogue I've ever read in telling this tale as a firsthand account. His prose is simply spectacular, and his knowledge of and use of the lexicon actually far exceeds even Miles/Christian Cameron. It's really stunning if you like that sort of thing. This book is a tale of masterful prose before it is an adventure tale. But the action comes often and we have to admire Quillifer in spite of his rouge's persona.

As far as I know this is a standalone book, although it could easily lead to more tales about Quillifer. Again, if you like excellent prose and medieval stories, you will love this book. By the way, even though it's a wordsmith's gem and then an adventure tale, there is very little exposition. Williams gets to the point and shows you instead of just telling. The world is definitely different than our own but similar enough that we can appreciate where he is going with the tale.

kenubrion

I said it was a standalone but it turns out that Quillifer is planned as a series. And by the way, it's priced at $7.99 US.

Nuomer1

And by the way, it's priced at $7.99 US
It is down to £9.99 in the UK (Kindle edition). Current translation of that is $13.21 US. If there is a reason for this (apart from greed or incompetence of the publisher) then I would like to hear it.

kenubrion

It is down to £9.99 in the UK (Kindle edition). Current translation of that is $13.21 US. If there is a reason for this (apart from greed or incompetence of the publisher) then I would like to hear it.you've been keeping an eye on the price there. Just terrible.
It is down to £9.99 in the UK (Kindle edition). Current translation of that is $13.21 US. If there is a reason for this (apart from greed or incompetence of the publisher) then I would like to hear it.
Now I recall you've been keeping track of the price there. What is the publisher thinking with such a high price and such a disparity. Unfair to the author who has always sold below the current trends, as with the US price. Such a good book too.