Quitting smoking, a log

João Ribeiro

Journeyed there and back again
Hi all, sorry for this but I need some venting.

I've decided to quit smoking for good after many relapses and I plan to have a log as an extra motivator, so I can come here and log another smoke-free day.

So starting tonight I'm having something I feel I need. A "ceremony" to destroy my current pack along with the tossing out of the ash-trays in my house. I'm keeping the lighters in the kitchen for when the lights go out.

So by the time I log back tomorrow I'll be able to log at least 10 hours of non-smoking.

Sorry if this just sounds corny but it's worth the shot.

PS This is not a sympathy thread, it's a public commitment for me.

Khartun

Good Luck to you!

Not corny at all, quitting cold turkey is tough.

I quit cold turkey and didn't smoke for 8 years. then one day my wife and I were out having a few drinks and I took one drag of hers and I was back on. I went to an eCig/Vapor about 6 months ago and haven't had a real cigarette since. Now I just need to quit it.

Hand of Fear

If it helps I had a mate of mine that was a big smoker and he give up because he had a son, I can't really think of a bigger motivator than that.

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
Hi all, sorry for this but I need some venting.

I've decided to quit smoking for good after many relapses and I plan to have a log as an extra motivator, so I can come here and log another smoke-free day.

So starting tonight I'm having something I feel I need. A "ceremony" to destroy my current pack along with the tossing out of the ash-trays in my house. I'm keeping the lighters in the kitchen for when the lights go out.

So by the time I log back tomorrow I'll be able to log at least 10 hours of non-smoking.

Sorry if this just sounds corny but it's worth the shot.

PS This is not a sympathy thread, it's a public commitment for me.
I wish you lots of success! I don't have any advice since I've never smoked, but you've got my support.

João Ribeiro

Hi guys, thanks for the support. I'm logging in my first 10 hours of being smoke free. The goal is to make it through the day and celebrate in the evening. One victory a day!

I could use some elfbark tea right now :)

Still not raving mad about a cig (yet) but it's weird to walk the dog without smoking and walking to work without smoking.

Self-alert coffee is a really bad trigger.

I quit cold turkey and didn't smoke for 8 years. then one day my wife and I were out having a few drinks and I took one drag of hers and I was back on.
Thankfully that is another point in my favor, my wife never smoked so she'll bust my... ears if I pick it up again.

You'll use this to prove to your son, you can do anything you put your mind to.
If it helps I had a mate of mine that was a big smoker and he give up because he had a son, I can't really think of a bigger motivator than that.
Yes it started to bug me to get home and not being able to pick up the little runt immediately because I stink of cigarette smoke.

And it's history repeating itself since my father quit smoking when I was born...

I don't have any advice since I've never smoked
Thanks, it actually upsets me when a person that never smoked has advice like "just quit, it's like quitting chewing gum". So thank you for being honest. And of course, the support.

Last edited:

Danica

Queen of the boards!
Staff member
Apparently its the behaviours that are the tricksy thing to kick. Long after thr nicotine has left your body and science says you no longer crave it. The things you did while smoking will still act as triggers. Good job on 10 hours and Good luck to finding ways to distract yourself when you're walking the dog/to work.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

João Ribeiro

The things you did while smoking will still act as triggers.
I've read a bit about it in Neuro-linguistic Programming. Basically the brain starts associating pleasure with a cigarette. A bit like Pavlov.

Hand of Fear

Thanks, it actually upsets me when a person that never smoked has advice like "just quit, it's like quitting chewing gum".
I have smoked myself in the past never a regular thing, but some people get detected to it after their first puff and find it really hard to stop.

Luckily I never did, and I haven't smoked anything again.

I'm sure you can do this, and think of all the extra money you can spend on nappies !

João Ribeiro

I'm sure you can do this, and think of all the extra money you can spend on nappies !
Or extra books.

Anyway, 13 hours in and still going strong. An I'll let you know I only ate half a tablet of chocolate so far!

João Ribeiro

16 hours and I'm starting to go crazy. I can't focus at work, I want to go run a bit!!!

PS The chocolate tablet didn't make it... RIP chocolate you'll be missed.

João Ribeiro

34 hours in and I'm starting to get really grumpy. I think day 2 is going to be worse than day 1 with the last of the nicotine dripping out of the system. Time to focus on work work work.

João Ribeiro

37.5 hours... just 9.5 more until the nicotine is out of the system. Then I just have to battle my own brain. I think I finally met a worthy opponent!