Reading in Low Light

fl1pper

Got in a fistfight with Dresden
I recently ditched reading books on my ipad to go back to real books which I prefer. However, I am now old enough that reading in poor light is impossible so I bought a couple of reading lights that clip onto the book itself. These are OK but are still not really bright enough because paperback books these days seem to use a font that the bionic man would struggle to read. My current book is a second hand hardback which has a lovely big font but these are in general much more expensive.

Does anybody else have solution for this or a product they would recommend?

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member
I would recommend kindle paperwhite. E-ink screens are very different to tablet/phone screens like ipad is. In low light you read with low light setting. In a very bright/sunny day you read with high light setting.
I have astigmatism and myopia in my eyes and they really can't handle long time of phone/tablet reading. My eyes get tired and sometimes I get a headache. But with e-ink screen such as kindle, my eyes react in the same way as they do with a paperbook. I can read comfortably for 4-5 hours without a break.

I would really recommend you getting one. Kindle paperwhite is 120$, but holidays are upcoming and so are the sales that go with them, and I'm sure you can snag it for much lower price when that happens.

fl1pper

I would recommend kindle paperwhite. E-ink screens are very different to tablet/phone screens like ipad is. In low light you read with low light setting. In a very bright/sunny day you read with high light setting.
I have astigmatism and myopia in my eyes and my they really can't handle long time of phone/tablet reading. My eyes get tired and sometimes I get a headache. But with e-ink screen such as kindle, my eyes react in the same way as they do with a paperbook. I can read comfortably for 4-5 hours without a break.

I would really recommend you getting one. Kindle paperwhite is 120$, but holidays are upcoming and so are the sales that go with them, and I'm sure you can snag it for much lower price when that happens.
Thanks for the reply. I have had a couple of kindles in the past but I haven't tried the paperwhite and will definitely have a look at it when my ipad dies. It's not that I have any problems reading on the ipad, it works brilliantly and I don't get headaches or anything like that because I run it permanently in "night mode". I just love real books. The answer may well be that I just have to accept that I have to read my books electronically now.

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member
I honestly prefer ebooks, and the main reason is the font size. As you mention paperbooks have a small-ish font for me personally, and I love the fact that I can make letters as big as I need them to be.
Plus, reading on kindle paperwhite is much less of a disturbance for my husband sleeping next to me, than phone or tablet. The light just doesn't disperse in the same way. It's more contained.

Kindle is in no way a replacement for ipad though. It's function is directed to reading books and books only. It's a dedicated device. Ipad is just a tablet, like all tablets are and as such multi-functional.

BFB has given away couple of paperwhites in past few years. I don't know if anything like that is planned for this or the next year, but be on the lookout for them.

fl1pper

I honestly prefer ebooks, and the main reason is the font size. As you mention paperbooks have a small-ish font for me personally, and I love the fact that I can make letters as big as I need them to be.
Plus, reading on kindle paperwhite is much less of a disturbance for my husband sleeping next to me, than phone or tablet. The light just doesn't disperse in the same way. It's more contained.

Kindle is in no way a replacement for ipad though. It's function is directed to reading books and books only. It's a dedicated device. Ipad is just a tablet, like all tablets are and as such multi-functional.

BFB has given away couple of paperwhites in past few years. I don't know if anything like that is planned for this or the next year, but be on the lookout for them.
Thanks for the tip off on the paperwhites, I'll keep an eye out for the give-aways.